Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Las Vegas, NV (High Roller at LINQ)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You posting that this is an "urban" supercharger (in that it is a 72kW limit) has caused a lot more misinformation and FUD than the other person posted. The OP could have experienced that level of charge even at a V2 charger due to SOC, conditions, etc. Low power is not a new issue with Supercharging. By saying so you are also implying that Tesla is straight up lying about the deployment of V3 superchargers. You did walk it back a little but maybe you should clarify that.
It is very simple:
  • OP reported "urban" SuperCharger rates at a new V3 SuperCharger
  • OP reported they did not complain or report the problem to Tesla
This was the strange posting behavior. It suggests someone with a partial understanding of the Tesla charging network selects the "urban" charger performance for an 'information' posting. Then they claim not to report the problem to Tesla.

Do they approve of that SuperCharger behavior? . . . Or was there some other motivation or goal revealed by their claim to have not reported a problem to Tesla?

We know there is an active, anti-Tesla campaign ranging from the SHORTs to possibly other bad actors. When we see (Ok, when I see) active posters complaining about our rides with NO evidence of trying to correct the problems . . . well who else would do such a thing?

Bob Wilson

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: EfficientWatts
It is very simple:
This was the strange posting behavior. It suggests someone with a partial understanding of the Tesla charging network selects the "urban" charger performance for an 'information' posting. Then they claim not to report the problem to Tesla.

Do they approve of that SuperCharger behavior? . . . Or was there some other motivation or goal revealed by their claim to have not reported a problem to Tesla?

Bob Wilson

No offense, but you seem to be the one with a partial understanding. Charging rates can be limited for a number of reasons, including battery degradation, age, temperature and state of charge.

The person who got in the 70s was in a Model S, perhaps an older one that has limited charging speeds. I see no reason to report it to Tesla without getting more information.

This ridiculous dialogue started when you suggested that he go to a faster station instead of an urban Supercharger. This location is the fastest charging station Tesla has available. The problem isn’t the location, it’s the vehicle conditions.

This ridiculous [fact based raw] dialogue started when you suggested that he go to a faster station instead of an urban Supercharger. This location is the fastest charging station Tesla has available. The problem isn’t the location, it’s the vehicle conditions.
I quoted the OPs posting accurately. Speculation that they were truthful or accurate is not mine and I'm will to let them be 'hoisted on their own petard.'

In about 60-90 days, we'll start our trip to the West Coast and I will stop at the new V3 SuperCharger. I will do what others have failed to do . . . replicate the OPs claims. We already know someone else reported "195 kW" at the same station. So who is inaccurate?

Source: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Jul 20, 2019
infoiambronsen
Tesla Model 3
Pull up supercharging spot info in your Tesla map and code should appear. Didn't hit 250 kW but batt probably wasn't preconditioned. Top was 195kW -- checkin created before location officially marked open

I am more willing to trust "infoiambronsen" than someone claiming they never reported their 'information' problem to Tesla. Others of course are welcome to their opinion. If they choose to not use this SuperCharger, more power to me in about 60-90 days.

Bob Wilson

Last edited:
(Not mine)

VegasModel3
Las Vegas Supercharger V3 station Part 2. Can we hit 250Kw? Tour of Cabinets and Battery Storage

Today I re-visited the New Las Vegas Supercharger to try and hit 250Kw. I came in with 13% state of charge, used the navigation to route me to the supercharger to warm battery and still was not able to hit the infamous 250Kw.

----

~5:00 Only 2500kVA transformer?

Went to the new LV super charger twice this weekend to check it out since I was in town. You enter the code on the parking arm / gate and it gives you a ticket. The parking is free for the first hour, and then it charges you at the Caesar's / Flamingo rate (it's posted on a sign when you're entering to get your ticket). $9 for 1-2 hours and then $15 for the whole day afterward (I think).

I confirmed it charges you since we took a walk and then made it back and had past the free hour mark. While leaving it asked us to pay $9.

The entrance is under a lot of construction, and there are construction workers navigating cars when you get close to the charger entrance. They'll wave you in if they see you are driving a Tesla. The nice thing is that on the exit it is quiet / private exit street from the super charger.

So far walking to the amenities it has listed is a bit confusing as there's construction and no clear signs of where to go after parking there.

Very helpful. At 2500 kVA, that’s about 104 kW per vehicle with a completely full site. Some vehicles will be using more power and others will be using less, depending on state of charge, so you shouldn’t really see any major charging slowdowns on busy travel days.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
But they also have batteries, and solar, to add to the peak capabilities.

They sure do. 88 kW solar and 174 kWh of battery storage (with its own 87 kW output). At full battery discharge with full solar production, you’d get a two hour boost of 176 kW, or an additional ~7 kW per pedestal, assuming 100% efficiency.

This is the most recent posting.

Then someone offered:

There is a difference between reading and understanding. We know there is an active, anti-Tesla effort that includes false and fraudulent postings. So what do you call an 'information' post here without lifting a finger to share the problem with Tesla?

If there is a problem with that Las Vegas SuperCharger, I want it fixed before our trip out West. But the claimed "information" post suggests they are willing to spread their opinion here (perhaps misleading some?) without making even the slightest effort to let Tesla know about it.
  • Are their fingers broke?
  • Do they have a Tesla account?
  • Do they even have a Tesla?
It is as if someone owns something but somehow thinks (or claims) they can not be bothered to report a problem.

Bob Wilson

It is very simple:

We know there is an active, anti-Tesla campaign ranging from the SHORTs to possibly other bad actors. When we see (Ok, when I see) active posters complaining about our rides with NO evidence of trying to correct the problems . . . well who else would do such a thing?

Bob Wilson

Or you could look at my profile and other post and see I don’t troll or complain. My I had know idea of plug share reports or anything like that. I knew I wasn’t going to get a 250 kw charge I just thought I might get a little more boost then normal. I didn’t so I didn’t think anything of it. Again my post was mainly stating if you had to be there longer then an hour then be prepared to pay a parking fee and that 3 owners should have the latest software so they could benefit from it. I couldn’t tell you one way or another if it was working properly or not it seemed normal to me because I have an X.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
They sure do. 88 kW solar and 174 kWh of battery storage (with its own 87 kW output). At full battery discharge with full solar production, you’d get a two hour boost of 176 kW, or an additional ~7 kW per pedestal, assuming 100% efficiency.
However, you can see in the video that there is no meter installed for the solar, so it's not doing anything yet. Barstow went a really long time with the solar disconnected. In fact, I've never seen confirmation that it's online today.

It also looks like the Destination Chargers are on 208V based on that 120Y208V transformer off to the side.

Reactions: Big Earl
Very helpful. At 2500 kVA, that’s about 104 kW per vehicle with a completely full site. Some vehicles will be using more power and others will be using less, depending on state of charge, so you shouldn’t really see any major charging slowdowns on busy travel days.

That makes a lot of sense. The overall site capacity is the ideal spot to have a bottleneck - not on a pair of stalls, like with V2. I expect Tesla decided on a stall-to-grid-supply ratio based on data they have gathered, such that people using the site wouldn't notice there was a bottleneck, even when it is busy.

That makes a lot of sense. The overall site capacity is the ideal spot to have a bottleneck - not on a pair of stalls, like with V2. I expect Tesla decided on a stall-to-grid-supply ratio based on data they have gathered, such that people using the site wouldn't notice there was a bottleneck, even when it is busy.
Also, it is permissible to pull more than 2500kVA from a transformer with that rating, for short periods of time, like a couple hours, especially in cooler weather when the transformer won't run as hot.

Or you could look at my profile and other post and see I don’t troll or complain. My I had know idea of plug share reports or anything like that. I knew I wasn’t going to get a 250 kw charge I just thought I might get a little more boost then normal. I didn’t so I didn’t think anything of it. Again my post was mainly stating if you had to be there longer then an hour then be prepared to pay a parking fee and that 3 owners should have the latest software so they could benefit from it. I couldn’t tell you one way or another if it was working properly or not it seemed normal to me because I have an X.
In a couple of days, we'll see other Tesla owners attempting to replicate your experience:
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Bob Wilson

My point for this post was that S/X owners don’t benefit from the 250 KW power. I went there with 20% left on the battery and it was preconditioned. I started out at 76 and went down from there. I even unplugged and plugged it in a couple of times and even went to a different stall without any improvements in speed. There were only 6 others charging. I asked the others what they were charging at 2 of the 3’s were charging at 125 and the S/X were charging around the same as I was. The second point I was making was don’t charge for more then an hour or they will charge for parking. The third point was if you need a charge there is a supercharger 3 miles away that I charged at over 100 KW all the time. I just moved from Vegas to Austin 6 months ago so I just wanted to see the new V3 supercharger was like and I as an owner of an X was not impressed. Forth point was if you have a 3 make sure you have the updated software so you can take advantage of the speed. Oh and don’t get me started on Austin’s supercharging for a city that has a pretty high per capita of Tesla to population they only have 1 supercharger with 8 stalls.

For what it's worth, when the Haymarket VA SuperCharger was first opened, i went to check it out and was only getting 45-65kw. Called support and they said it was not turned up to full boost yet but would be in a week or so. A few weeks later, i was getting 100kw when SOC was low enough and now get 140kw after the updates.