Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Las Vegas, NV - Las Vegas Blvd. South

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I visited this Supercharger this past Thursday coming in from Utah, headed to So Cal. It is nicely located out of the Vegas traffic. Lazy Dog, Flemings and Bonefish Grill are in the same corner of this shopping center. Well done Tesla.

My wife and I drove into Newport Beach CA from Green River UT yesterday and we able to skip both Las Vegas Superchargers by charging at:
  • Green River UT
  • Richfield UT
  • St. George UT
  • Primm NV
  • Barstow CA
We cruised at ~ 80 mph using Range Mode and set our SAS on Low at the beginning of each segment. We also grabbed a partial "draft" in some sections off SUVs and full size minivans using AutoPilot set to "2". Worked so well we arrived at each Supercharger stop with ~ 20% charge.

Key was planning on our iPad Air 2 using EVTripPlanner.com projected wind and air temps from WindAlert & Weather Channel apps... Plus running the awesome Waze for Tesla and Tesla Winds websites on our Tesla's web browser.

These strategies made our 2,000+ round trip from Newport Beach to Denver very "range anxiety" free... including a 200 mile segment on the way to Denver from Page AZ to Blanding UT through Monument Valley.

Love our Tesla !!!

I don't disagree with you, as "free lifetime" means what it says, and it's legally binding.
Prior letters sent to local abusers may have had some impact, perhaps not.
But I am sure Tesla can get frustrated with abusers, and there is no restriction from them to slow down charging rates as they see fit.
I doubt anyone else would care, perhaps except other owners waiting in line for the abusers to get their free trickle of charge.

Why can't people just be reasonable??
Slowing down the charge rate is the worst thing they can do, the person will just stay there longer taking up the spot.
The only solution is increasing charge rate to increase the throughput of vehicles

• Informative
Reactions: jkn and Rocky_H
Slowing down the charge rate is the worst thing they can do, the person will just stay there longer taking up the spot.
The only solution is increasing charge rate to increase the throughput of vehicles

Yes, that is one approach, if you want to encourage this undesired action without consequences.

My suggestion is to dissuade abuse of the system, for if you "sour the milk" and make it an inconvenience to the abuser by forcing an extended time in a parking spot to charge, there may be less abuse.

And this can be modulated to reduce inconvenience to other Tesla owners, such as faster charging when the SC is busy, but if not, slow it way down... so they prefer to charge at home on their own dime.

Now for those apartment dwellers, pre-paid charging can be addressed in advance.

My perspective is to reduce the amount of time non-local chargers, who the SCs were built for, and are less impeded by local and abusive owners "stealing" power from Tesla cause they can....especially where electric rates are very high.

Yes, that is one approach, if you want to encourage this undesired action without consequences.

My suggestion is to dissuade abuse of the system, for if you "sour the milk" and make it an inconvenience to the abuser by forcing an extended time in a parking spot to charge, there may be less abuse.

And this can be modulated to reduce inconvenience to other Tesla owners, such as faster charging when the SC is busy, but if not, slow it way down... so they prefer to charge at home on their own dime.

Now for those apartment dwellers, pre-paid charging can be addressed in advance.

My perspective is to reduce the amount of time non-local chargers, who the SCs were built for, and are less impeded by local and abusive owners "stealing" power from Tesla cause they can....especially where electric rates are very high.

My perspective is to increase the number of people who can buy and fuel a Tesla vehicle. It matters not a wit whether the charging occurs at home, destination charging or a Supercharger. BTW . . .Tesla agrees.

Here's Elon Musk:

We’re putting Superchargers in cities, not just between cities. And this is obviously important in places like, you know, Beijing, Shanghai, London, San Francisco, New York, where at times people may have a challenge with having a fixed parking space. It’s more like some of those people don’t have a definitive parking space. And they might have street parking or something, you know. London is particularly tricky one; where there’s – it’s got lot of high-end neighborhoods just have street parking.

Tesla Earnings Call Transcript Q1 2014 – Complete Conference Call - Insider Monkey

Then there are "idle charges" which, like parking meters, provide a definite limit to parking and an enforcement mechanism to enhance memory.

Then there is the elimination of UNLIMITED free for life and the replacement Limited FFL and paid charging after.

Why would your solution of slowing charging work better?

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

Why the need for prepaid?
Tesla has released the solution already, superchargers are no longer free for new car orders (some inventory models exempt)
So those apartment dwellers who will purchase a model 3 can use a local charger all they want, they're being charged a premium for it.
The reasonable and most probable solution will be building more stations which will be possible with the new income from people paying for the electricity.
In the words of Green Bay packers quarterback, "RELAX" everything will be fine!

Why the need for prepaid?
Tesla has released the solution already, superchargers are no longer free for new car orders (some inventory models exempt)
So those apartment dwellers who will purchase a model 3 can use a local charger all they want, they're being charged a premium for it.
The reasonable and most probable solution will be building more stations which will be possible with the new income from people paying for the electricity.
In the words of Green Bay packers quarterback, "RELAX" everything will be fine!

I see your perspective... but mine was more of a focus for those that frequent the same SC, which may indicate local abuse to save the cost of home charging, yet clog up the SC system.

The reason for the termination of the free SC was more designed for the Model 3, given the minimal profit margins on those vehicles. In my opinion, including the S and X was a bit of price gouging in my opinion, since the vehicle production costs are reducing (cheaper battery due to giga-factory) yet the sales price remains. This is just like removing the vented seats yet still charging same price for PUP... unless you think the cost of the vented seats was equal to their effectiveness...worthless.

My suggestion of a pre-paid relates to a relationship between Tesla and the owner... "I cannot charge at my residence (rental, apartment) but want to own a Tesla, so I need to frequently SC locally". These owners would not be penalized with slower charging rates, yet the ones that simply abuse local SCs because the Tesla SC rate is cheaper than home charging will suffer in some way, since it can bogs down the SC flowput.

Perhaps you don't see the genius behind my plan, but don't be surprised if that does indeed develop.

Did you really just quote some slacker GB quarterback for personal advice? Hope that works for you ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: AMPd
My perspective is to increase the number of people who can buy and fuel a Tesla vehicle. It matters not a wit whether the charging occurs at home, destination charging or a Supercharger. BTW . . .Tesla agrees.

Here's Elon Musk:

We’re putting Superchargers in cities, not just between cities. And this is obviously important in places like, you know, Beijing, Shanghai, London, San Francisco, New York, where at times people may have a challenge with having a fixed parking space. It’s more like some of those people don’t have a definitive parking space. And they might have street parking or something, you know. London is particularly tricky one; where there’s – it’s got lot of high-end neighborhoods just have street parking.

Tesla Earnings Call Transcript Q1 2014 – Complete Conference Call - Insider Monkey

Then there are "idle charges" which, like parking meters, provide a definite limit to parking and an enforcement mechanism to enhance memory.

Then there is the elimination of UNLIMITED free for life and the replacement Limited FFL and paid charging after.

Why would your solution of slowing charging work better?

So after my last reply, I just read this one (out of order forum faux paux)

I do see the wisdom of this response, and if Tesla really does build the inner-city infrastructure, then perhaps my concern of "bogged-down" SC spots may not be such an issue.

Don't misunderstand my perspective, as i want Tesla so deliver over a million more cars over the next several years.
But all Tesla owners realize perhaps the most significant trade-off of owning a Tesla is the "twice more than ICE" need to interrupt long-distance driving, and the 20% increase in travel time for charging (a 10 hour trip takes 12 hours).

Since some of these SCs are located in cities, local abuse can really impact travel time.

So if Tesla REALLY does support the local and long-distance driver by flooding the various roadways with SCs, then there should be no issue. But as it is, some road trips still require non-SC charge stops... and that sucks even more than waiting in line for a SC slot to open.

Only time will tell, especially when one can summons an AP 2.0 equipped self-driving S or X from NY to Calif, who will charge the car?

This was just posted in another thread. A heads up that the LV Town Square location may be down.
Looks like you can add Prim NV and Las Vegas Town Square to the list:

"Jamilyn Kamano
April 19 at 10:09am

Good morning Tesla owners, Jamilyn from Tesla service here.

Just as a heads up, we are receiving information pertaining to the Townsquare (Las Vegas Blvd and Sunset) supercharging location to have been vandalized and it is currently down at this time.

Also, the Primm Superchargers are presently down, and look to been have vandalized as well."

Both of these are showing temporary closure on the NAV.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
6CA771AE-D98B-421C-96B4-13DA85865B25.jpeg
Vegas....

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Busy on Saturday morning. The Lazy Dog manager offered to let me in to cool off before they opened at 10am. Told him I would rather stand around outside in the 100+ temperature and just watch the Teslas charge. He totally understood...

IMG_20180721_094729425_zps6p0ot3wo.jpg

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Charging between 30 kW and 120 kW, the absolute worst effective price you'll get is $0.32/kWh. The best being $0.16/kWh either around 120 kW or 59 kW and slightly below. Anything below 30 kW is where it starts getting expensive on a per kilowatt-hour basis.