Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bernardino's Mexican in Invokern is decent. That's where we have had the 2 dinner stops in Inyokern. We have not tried the other two places (burger and BBQ I think?) yet. But we now really like the Thai place in Mojave, will sometimes stop 10+ minutes in Lone Pine if that's what's necessary to make it there. We can make Mammoth - Mojave if leaving Mammoth 100% charged. But realistically the car is full charged the previous night and by the time we drive it up to the Mill on the last ski day it's not a great idea to try to make Mojave without a stop. The one time we tried we had to limp the last 10 miles into Mojave at 40mph and arrived with ONE rated mile.
Yep, I once even stopped in Lone Pine and grabbed 5 minutes of charge as a buffer, and because of wind and a ski rack (new to me), I did exactly the same. 40 mph with my hazard lights on. Made it with 0 left. I felt so ashamed.

Just drove back from Mammoth and stopped in Lone Pine. I checked into the crowd status along the way, and as I approached, I saw that all 4 stalls were available. As I pulled in, 3 other cars pulled in at the same time! I was the last one to plug in and got a pathetic 30 Amp charge, though that increased to 54 later as, I guess, my neighbor began to fill up. We grabbed a bite at the Pizza Factory (highly recommend) and upon returning to the supercharger, I saw one new car that had exchanged with one of the original 4, and there was 1 car waiting. This, being a Tuesday after Christmas. A busy day for travel, I hear, but still, this site could use an expansion.

The town isn't that big. You can walk from one end to the other in 15 minutes. I like to take a short walk during my stops. Good food along the way.
I agree. I typically need a large charge for the way up to Mammoth, so I have plenty of time to walk to a local establishment to eat some good food. Lots of choices. The Alabama Hills Cafe is just past the McD's on the side street. Amazing and huge breakfast options and the pastries are better than Schatt's.
LP is definitely a choke point for the 395, as it is a mandatory stop for points Mammoth and north. Great to hear.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Stopped at Lone Pine on Monday. The guy at the museum desk said they're planning on an expansion of the supercharger site. I think he said another eight stalls, but it might have been twelve. No idea if this information is correct.
It's currently 4 so I'm guessing what he meant is they will be adding 8 stalls for 12 total.

I agree the town is so small that moving the supercharger location doesn't make much sense.

I still question the wisdom of naming an eating establishment "Schat's."

• Funny
Reactions: 4SUPER9
The town isn't that big. You can walk from one end to the other in 15 minutes. I like to take a short walk during my stops. Good food along the way.
Not when its 28* out and blowing with a 15 to 30mph wind..

Or reverse that and summer time and it's 115* out and blowing like crazy.

No thanks. I've been up and down 395 my whole life (even as a kid with my family) so i know the weather.. I'll pass

Not when its 28* out and blowing with a 15 to 30mph wind..

Or reverse that and summer time and it's 115* out and blowing like crazy.

No thanks. I've been up and down 395 my whole life (even as a kid with my family) so i know the weather.. I'll pass
Poor So Cal boy...
That’s what a warm jacket is for. My car is typically filled with warm clothes for skiing anyway. I love experiencing the elements. We don’t have them down here.

Reactions: McManX and gene
I was just checking out some photos in the Carlsbad thread, and saw how the stalls are located up a hill, farthest from the stores, needing a staircase to get down (with handicap stalls located below). I actually love this, and why I love the location of the Lone Pine station. When on a trip like this, we typically charge for 20-30 minutes. This forces us out of our cars and into a little activity while we are waiting. The last thing we need on a road trip is to walk 50' to a restaurant so we can just sit again while we eat. We are far too sedentary in this country, and any little trick that keeps us moving is a good thing.

• Love
Reactions: abasile and McManX