Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Six months ago this was posted:
Stopped at Lone Pine on Monday. The guy at the museum desk said they're planning on an expansion of the supercharger site. I think he said another eight stalls, but it might have been twelve. No idea if this information is correct.

Did this charger get expanded? I thought it was 4 stalls, but the in-car map is saying 7
See above. There have been rumors of this Supercharger being expanded. If the in-car nav says there are 7 stalls, that is likely to be correct.

@ecarfan, and there is this thread too (from way back): Traveling 395 East of the Sierras: Planning Charging and Energy Usage

Yes, if the car nav says 7 stalls, that is likely true. Adding just 3 stalls feels a little strange though, both for the small quantity and the odd number of 3 added. They have a massive lot now, having paved the area across the access road. There is easily room for another 8 stalls. Maybe there is an energy limit? Maybe there are more being added, but just 7 available so far? Again, would love to have an actual report.

Adding just 3 stalls feels a little strange though, both for the small quantity and the odd number of 3 added. They have a massive lot now, having paved the area across the access road. There is easily room for another 8 stalls. Maybe there is an energy limit?
In a small remote town like Lone Pine there could easily be electrical power infrastructure limitations that preclude adding more charging stalls at this time.

In a small remote town like Lone Pine there could easily be electrical power infrastructure limitations that preclude adding more charging stalls at this time.
Except that since chargers are paired, the odd 7th will always have full power and the total load for the site will be the same as if it was paired with an 8th.
Probably 7 because of parking space limitations.

Like I said above, there are no parking issues there, as they have lots of spots available right there, plus a huge parking lot just across the access road. At the time the supercharger was first built, there was a discussion guaranteeing a minimum number of spots for the location, which just seems silly given that the lot is only filled a couple of times a year for special events.

I actually dug through the Planning Commission minutes for the past year looking for some info. The same place where the permit was initially found. I could not find any mention of this expansion.

I guess that makes sense. Still, has anyone else seen a station with a combination of 2 different charging systems?
I am not aware of any California Supercharger location with that combination. I don’t track Superchargers in other states or other countries.

The Plugshare report may be incorrect. But they seem pretty clear about it. Here it is:

5486BFC5-E283-45F3-8A2A-B19E10073F6E.jpeg

@gene had this to say in the Manzanar thread in General CA:
A friend of mine who drove from LA to Mammoth a few days ago said there were only 4 chargers. Today, on his way back south to LA, there are suddenly 3 more chargers making 7 at Lone Pine. Though these last three are mounted temporarily on skids. Must be getting ready for holiday weekend.

I think some pics to see just what the heck is going on would be definitely helpful. But, if they are really temporary SpCs, this move has been done before when Tesla was planning on expanding. Tesla put in some temp SpCs in one of the Tahoe sites right before ski season when they were going to expand later.

I am not aware of any California Supercharger location with that combination. I don’t track Superchargers in other states or other countries.

I track them in many countries and I can confirm there isn't a single other site worldwide which has born normal and urban superchargers (indeed urban superchargers have not been deployed anywhere outside USA/Canada). Some sites have destination chargers. That's the closest equivalent. I guess someone could *potentially* confuse them.

I agree - wait on photos before updating.