Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ultimately, all these issues will be resolved with the addition of 8 stalls (end result of 12 stalls given the assumed removal of the temp chargers). 12 should definitely be sufficient to hold us for some time. I have never seen more than several cars waiting. I think the most was three. Once this happens, I predict that this thread will go silent for a long time.

Ultimately, all these issues will be resolved with the addition of 8 stalls (end result of 12 stalls given the assumed removal of the temp chargers). 12 should definitely be sufficient to hold us for some time. I have never seen more than several cars waiting. I think the most was three. Once this happens, I predict that this thread will go silent for a long time.
Unfortunately that doesn't look like it's going to be done by the upcoming season :eek:. I didn't see any sign that the project had started a week ago.
There are Electrify America chargers planned for Bishop and Coso Junction. I wonder if Tesla will make a CCS adapter...

I actually changed the times I travel to Mammoth last season just to miss out on the potential wait or slow charge @Lone Pine. Left early in the morning arriving @Lone Pine 5-6am. On multiple trips at this time only saw another car plugged in once the whole season. Not for everyone but added benefits extra day on slopes, no traffic.

Reactions: abasile and PLUS EV
Unfortunately that doesn't look like it's going to be done by the upcoming season :eek:. I didn't see any sign that the project had started a week ago.
There are Electrify America chargers planned for Bishop and Coso Junction. I wonder if Tesla will make a CCS adapter...
The Electrify America charger in bishop is installed, as far as I can tell it isn't active yet but it is all there. Definitely cost prohibitive on charging prices and the adapter price ($500) and only one spot that Tesla's can use until the CCS adapter is available. Would make that run easier though, and could eat in Bishop instead of being limited to a meal at Lone pine.

I actually changed the times I travel to Mammoth last season just to miss out on the potential wait or slow charge @Lone Pine. Left early in the morning arriving @Lone Pine 5-6am. On multiple trips at this time only saw another car plugged in once the whole season. Not for everyone but added benefits extra day on slopes, no traffic.
I totally get it. I have left early as well, though maybe not as early as you. A 7am departure is just as empty. It is rare that someone going uphill reaches LP that early. Well, except for me. I often leave LA at 4am on a Friday. Zero traffic, and by the time I hit the desert roads, the sun starts to come up. On the slopes by 10am.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
This is just behind the current stalls:

IMG_20190929_094839.jpg

This is the outfit doing the work, and I spoke to one of the workers too:

View attachment 460744

Then behind the fence on the left:

IMG_20190929_094902.jpg

And zoomed to the back:

View attachment 460746

Then finally looking over the fence to the right:

IMG_20190929_094906.jpg

I asked the contractor if anything other than 8 Tesla chargers were going in, because the area behind the fence is awfully large

He said no, that the owner just wanted to expand the paved area. Not sure the movie museum needs extra space. Plus, there is another adjacent lot just to the South. Maybe some other construction is planned?

RT

Was there a couple days ago. The fenced in area has posts saying it is about an auto electrification update. Might be both Tesla and other car chargers.

Went through the film museum. Asked for a $5 donation. it was far better than I expected. Had an old movie truck with cameras and lighting, saw how the 3 B/W film strips converted everything into Technicolor. Also had Technicolor cameras and projectors from the old days.

Not only was Lone Pine used for early silent and talkie and singing cowboy Westerns, but contemporary movies as well.
Some Star Teck movies as well as the camp Tremors movies were made here. You can see some of the props, especially some of the "Grabboid" puppets used for the worm like monsters that were attracted by sound. The Epic "Gunga Dinn" was also filmed there with major scale film sets and backdrops.

Recommend that people passing through take advantage of visiting the Museum while your car charges. The 15 minute movie of the area is well produced and eye opening.

Believe that most of the time those charging stalls sit empty, but on busy days they can be overwhelmed. Local or commuters should make themselves aware of the busy times and do what they can to only charge when the surge will not cause lines.

For those coming north, 4 additional Supercharger stalls are available behind the struggling market in Enyo Kern. The ladies inside are welcoming and pleasant. Might be a nice idea to make a guesture for those using their restrooms. They know their prices are higher than the discount stores, but trying to keep their head above water is obviously a labor of love and a struggle.

Thanks so much for the awesome update!!! Getting this done in the next 2 months should actually be fairly easy. We have seen some sites get finished in just a few weeks, and those were from scratch.
Pray for snow!
Your prayers are working, 2 inches of snow in town in Mammoth yesterday. It is starting early, crossing fingers it keeps up.

Are these going to be V3 or V2 superchargers? V3 would cut another 10-15 minutes off the mammoth run and be 30 minutes faster than when I got my car a year ago (the software updates to 150kw already saved me 10-15 minutes).

Won't even have time to walk to McDonalds, order, and walk back to the car, forget about a trip to Pizza Factory.

Your prayers are working, 2 inches of snow in town in Mammoth yesterday. It is starting early, crossing fingers it keeps up.

Are these going to be V3 or V2 superchargers? V3 would cut another 10-15 minutes off the mammoth run and be 30 minutes faster than when I got my car a year ago (the software updates to 150kw already saved me 10-15 minutes).

Won't even have time to walk to McDonalds, order, and walk back to the car, forget about a trip to Pizza Factory.
I do not think there has been any reports on this. Interesting though.

Go back and read the staff report for the Lone Pine Architectural Design Review [pdf] of the project. The existing parking lot has 34 parking spaces and based on the square footage of the museum, Inyo County code requires them to have 33. So, they only have 1 extra. The expansion includes removing 3 existing spaces to create a driveway through to the new chargers. Without a parking lot expansion they would then have a 2 stall defecit. Likely they could have gotten a variance for that shortfall and just proceeded with the requirement that the charging stalls be signed for general parking use. But since Tesla was going to add paved area for the new stalls anyway, I'm sure they and the Museum decided it would be better to just pave the whole lot. Adds value for everyone and gets them back above the minimum parking requirement, so no variance required.

Go back and read the staff report for the Lone Pine Architectural Design Review [pdf] of the project. The existing parking lot has 34 parking spaces and based on the square footage of the museum, Inyo County code requires them to have 33. So, they only have 1 extra. The expansion includes removing 3 existing spaces to create a driveway through to the new chargers. Without a parking lot expansion they would then have a 2 stall defecit. Likely they could have gotten a variance for that shortfall and just proceeded with the requirement that the charging stalls be signed for general parking use. But since Tesla was going to add paved area for the new stalls anyway, I'm sure they and the Museum decided it would be better to just pave the whole lot. Adds value for everyone and gets them back above the minimum parking requirement, so no variance required.
Based on those drawings it looks like it will be V2 with paired stalls. 4 cabinets to power 8 plugs and each cabinet can output a max of 288kW and the stalls will be labeled "XA" and "XB". At least those of us in the know will be able to get the 150kW charge rate if you can catch an un-paired stall to plug in to. Maybe we can get some V3's at Inyokern or my favorite proposal is a new supercharger at Kramer Junction.

There is a massive brand new lot next door, with at least 50 spots. My guess now is that this is not owned by the museum. Though, I have no idea for what other purpose that lot exists.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia