Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was in 2018 - definitely 4 stalls.

img_6274.jpg

Reactions: Guacahummus
4SUPER9,

I am almost one hunnert percent positive that when I visited Lone Pine in June 2015 (it opened in late January) that there were four stalls. It may be that they christened two stalls early and then christened the second two later. But I always thought that it was a four-stall site from the git-go. I do not recall where Tesla only built two-stall permanent sites. Madison, Wisconsin had a three-stall site early on.
Yes, it was 4 stalls. That was a typo. To be more accurate, it was four V2 stalls, then 2 Urbans were added, then the 8 V3s went up, at which time they dismantled the original stalls and removed the Urban temp stalls, and now 16 V3

I visited this site on the Monday of Memorial Day weekend. The site had several trash cans available, and the place was tidy. I’ve visited this location many times, but a couple of things were new to me on this visit.

First, I’d never seen a porta potty here before. It was clean. Seems like a great idea, especially after seeing the many signs posted around the area politely asking people not to defecate on the ground.

Second, the museum had placed signs/traffic cones in their parking lot to help drivers navigate to the chargers without using the museum parking lot proper. Thinking about it, I could see how a line of cars waiting to charge could easily impact the traffic flow of the museum parking lot. The good news here is that the site has recently been increased in size from 8 to 16 stalls, so that should help mitigate wait queues.

I wonder if these changes were just temporary to help with the increase in holiday weekend traffic?

I never get tired of the views at this location!

E06E107B-1C38-40B8-918B-65B970426CBC.jpeg E034CCFE-F538-4AF5-802B-05F537669DCC.jpeg

I visited this site on the Monday of Memorial Day weekend. The site had several trash cans available, and the place was tidy. I’ve visited this location many times, but a couple of things were new to me on this visit.

First, I’d never seen a porta potty here before. It was clean. Seems like a great idea, especially after seeing the many signs posted around the area politely asking people not to defecate on the ground.

Second, the museum had placed signs/traffic cones in their parking lot to help drivers navigate to the chargers without using the museum parking lot proper. Thinking about it, I could see how a line of cars waiting to charge could easily impact the traffic flow of the museum parking lot. The good news here is that the site has recently been increased in size from 8 to 16 stalls, so that should help mitigate wait queues.

I wonder if these changes were just temporary to help with the increase in holiday weekend traffic?

View attachment 945858 View attachment 945860
Changes are as permanent as a rope through a temporary sign can be. I've been there multiple times in the last few months and it has been that way every time. I'll be driving through again early Friday morning.

The new routing is confusing the first time but after using it multiple times I like it better now, especially if there does happen to be a line which I don't expect for a while now with the new expansion.

• Informative
Reactions: zeptomoby

View attachment 945858 View attachment 945860

Changes are as permanent as a rope through a temporary sign can be. I've been there multiple times in the last few months and it has been that way every time. I'll be driving through again early Friday morning.

The new routing is confusing the first time but after using it multiple times I like it better now, especially if there does happen to be a line which I don't expect for a while now with the new expansion.

With the significant increase in traffic, I am sure that the museum would rather not have people using their lot as a method to access to their chargers. I respect that and feel a strong support of them for allowing us this location. I use their facilities on occasion, and throw a few bucks in their donation jar.

Is museum still the only/closest restroom? Went there 4 years ago and bought ticket in. Planning another trip with a stop in Lone Pine just to charge. I’d feel a bit embarrassed asking just to use the restroom.
The few times I used their facilities, I gave them a couple of bucks and just told them I am just there for the restroom. They happily let me in. I think they are supposed to honor Tesla drivers, or, that is at least the impressive they gave me.

Reactions: IdaX
Is museum still the only/closest restroom? Went there 4 years ago and bought ticket in. Planning another trip with a stop in Lone Pine just to charge. I’d feel a bit embarrassed asking just to use the restroom.
There is a port-a-potty now. If the museum is open I recommend using their restroom. They are very friendly and do request an optional donation, considering they are putting up with us Tesla drivers and cleaning up all our trash I am happy to pay.

Don't feel embarrassed, many people use their restroom while charging.

Better yet, spend some time in the museum while your car charges, there is some great stuff in there!

Either toss in couple dollars or a short walk to McDonald's
There is a port-a-potty now. If the museum is open I recommend using their restroom. They are very friendly and do request an optional donation, considering they are putting up with us Tesla drivers and cleaning up all our trash I am happy to pay.

Don't feel embarrassed, many people use their restroom while charging.

Better yet, spend some time in the museum while your car charges, there is some great stuff in there!
Will probably try the EA chargers at Coso Junction first with the CCS adapter.

Will probably try the EA chargers at Coso Junction first with the CCS adapter.
Interesting thought. My initial reaction is to steer clear of any EA chargers but the more I think about it I'm intrigued to hear your experience there.

One issue is there are not nearly as many EA plugs at Coso as there are Tesla plugs in Lone Pine. Second is I believe the Tesla plugs are cheaper but I'm not 100% sure about that. Third is Tesla plugs are much more reliable than EA plugs, likelihood of an EA plug being broken or credit card reader not working is higher.

Also, what is your trip plan? Starting in LA/OC/SD and headed to Reno/Mammoth/Bishop? You can always charge at Inyokern and use the restroom at the gas station there.

Once you get to Bishop there are a bunch of options as well.

Honestly though, the film museum (if you are there during business hours) is the cleanest restroom on that whole trip.

Interesting thought...

Interesting thought.....
Still planning but basically SD - Vancouver BC:
- Want to take the scenic route heading up....merge to I-5 in OR.
- First charging stop should be Hesperia Target; top off at ~80%.
- Overnight #1 at Bishop.
- Distance between Hesperia and Bishop is 220 miles; well within Model 3 LR range at 80% on paper, but skeptical in real life, as you know, especially mountain driving and I could turn into a Chinese-Andretti when in a Tesla.
- Quick stop at Inyokern is an option, pending bladder condition. Coso Junction is ~2 hours away, just about perfect for a bathroom break.
- I've also not tried the CCS adapter before (too many Superchargers in SoCal); keen on giving it a try.
- EA's higher charge per kw not much of a concern, as I'd only need to add 10-15 kw to safely make it to Bishop.
- I have visited that Lone Pine museum before; no need to visit again, and would prefer to spend $$ on actual goods/services rather than just donation.
- Short walk to McD can be considered, if weather permits.

Reactions: JeffnReno
- Distance between Hesperia and Bishop is 220 miles; well within Model 3 LR range at 80% on paper, but skeptical in real life, as you know, especially mountain driving and I could turn into a Chinese-Andretti when in a Tesla.
- Quick stop at Inyokern is an option, pending bladder condition. Coso Junction is ~2 hours away, just about perfect for a bathroom break.
- I've also not tried the CCS adapter before (too many Superchargers in SoCal); keen on giving it a try.
- EA's higher charge per kw not much of a concern, as I'd only need to add 10-15 kw to safely make it to Bishop.
- I have visited that Lone Pine museum before; no need to visit again, and would prefer to spend $$ on actual goods/services rather than just donation.
220 is a stretch. I go from Redding to San Jose occasionally. Leave at 95% and can barely squeeze out 250. I have a 21 LR Model 3 also.

I run this corridor all the time and I do it a little differently.

Start with a 90% full battery.

Supercharger hop to every 250kw charger I can find with 15-20% expected capacity when I arrive.

This keeps my charging time to a minimum (quantity to a maximum), there are so many chargers along the way that I've never had an issue.

Can I recommend staying in Mammoth and not Bishop? Might be a little pricier for lodging but there is no comparison between the two towns, Mammoth is much nicer.