Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the future, watch the amperage rate whenever you hook up. If it doesn't go up to at least 200A, move to another station. I have experienced three instances of a station delivering 70A or less, one at Harris Ranch, one at Fountain Valley, one at Buttonwillow. In all cases, moving to another station has solved the problem. Be sure to call customer service and report the faulty station. They don't have automatic monitoring to detect such faults.

I charged at Inyokern and Lone Pine last Saturday with no problem in 105ºF heat - and while running climate control in the car.

I didn't switch because Tesla said I would have the same problem with all stations due to heat. Probably bad advice. I wasn't too excited about being out in 118 degree heat, so I charged minimally and got out of there.

For the first time that I have seen, I arrived to Lone Pine today to find a fully packed house. 2 X's and 2 S's. Someone left within a couple minutes of my arrival. I was paired with someone who just started charging, so my rate was sloooow. Fortunately, I only needed about 20 miles to get to Mojave. I quickly bolted to get to Mojave to avoid pairing again. I was first and the only one there, though 4 cars arrived within the next 15 minutes. Apparently, after I left Lone Pine, several more Tesla's arrived (according to the person who followed me to Mojave). Gee, I can't wait for the Model 3's to come!

• Informative
Reactions: McManX
For the first time that I have seen, I arrived to Lone Pine today to find a fully packed house. 2 X's and 2 S's. Someone left within a couple minutes of my arrival. I was paired with someone who just started charging, so my rate was sloooow. Fortunately, I only needed about 20 miles to get to Mojave. I quickly bolted to get to Mojave to avoid pairing again. I was first and the only one there, though 4 cars arrived within the next 15 minutes. Apparently, after I left Lone Pine, several more Tesla's arrived (according to the person who followed me to Mojave). Gee, I can't wait for the Model 3's to come!
Probably Sunday ski traffic. We get that in Truckee.

Has anyone noticed the second Lone Pine location hiding on the coming soon map? (It's a gray marker buried slightly above the current location).

Any speculation on what's coming? (Expansion of the current location? New location?)

With Model 3 fast approaching, this is a necessity for the upcoming ski season.

Moderator note: I have moved 28 posts that were not specific to the Lone Pine Supercharger to a new thread in the California Forum called Traveling 395 East of the Sierras: Planning Charging and Energy Usage

I understand how easy it is for a post related to Lone Pine to also be about the challenges of traveling on 395 and planning charging stops. But for the Supercharger location threads to be useful, they need to be focused on the specific Supercharger site. If they turn into a wide ranging discussion of traveling by Tesla in that general area then it becomes difficult to find information about that specific Supercharger.

Thanks for your cooperation! Charge on. :cool:

Reactions: EVCarGUy and McManX
Moderator note: I have moved 28 posts that were not specific to the Lone Pine Supercharger to a new thread in the California Forum called Traveling 395 East of the Sierras: Planning Charging and Energy Usage

I understand how easy it is for a post related to Lone Pine to also be about the challenges of traveling on 395 and planning charging stops. But for the Supercharger location threads to be useful, they need to be focused on the specific Supercharger site. If they turn into a wide ranging discussion of traveling by Tesla in that general area then it becomes difficult to find information about that specific Supercharger.

Thanks for your cooperation! Charge on. :cool:
Thanks for your attention to this... as one of the posters taking the thread off-track, I welcome the new thread.

On May 13 we stopped at the Lone Pine charger on the way to Mammoth with 8 miles of rated range. I wandered off for ~25 minutes, came back and saw 135 mile rated range but a charge rate of 62kW. I moved to another stall and the charge rate was normal from then on. Unfortunately I do not remember the stall numbers.

When it happened again in Mojave on the way ho,e I took notes and reported to Tesla.

A first.

We got here this afternoon and there were 4 model X's already occupying all 4 spots. Plus another MS waiting.

Expansion is definitely warranted.
Happened to me once too, on a Sunday following a busy ski weekend. I ended up getting a fairly slow charge from being paired, but managed to get enough to hurry down to Mojave and beat everyone else there so I didn't have to pair up again. While busy on a Sunday, it is likely otherwise empty most of the time.

Probably just people escaping the mountains at the end of Memorial Day weekend.
I'm headed down that way tomorrow and hopefully everyone will have gone back home where they belong by then.
I charged at Lone Pine Supercharger yesterday (Tuesday) and there was nobody else there. (Also visited Mammoth and Gardnerville and they were also deserted.)
These sites get busy during weekend and holiday travel but are empty the rest of the time.
This does raise a question... Should Tesla build Superchargers for maximum demand, average demand or some other factor?

I charged at Lone Pine Supercharger yesterday (Tuesday) and there was nobody else there. (Also visited Mammoth and Gardnerville and they were also deserted.)
These sites get busy during weekend and holiday travel but are empty the rest of the time.
This does raise a question... Should Tesla build Superchargers for maximum demand, average demand or some other factor?
I would vote for maximum demand, which is exactly what we have seen with Barstow. That location is typically empty on weekdays, and even at many times on the weekends, with hoards of people charging there mostly on Sundays. Lone Pine to date has only seen congestion on Sunday afternoons. Even then, it has not been a huge problem. If there were several cars lining up often, then I would hope for an expansion. Until then, I would assume this is a low priority item for Tesla. I am worried about the Model 3 and next years' ski season.

OTOH, when Lone Pine opened, I believe the city limited the site to 4 stalls due to a regulation they had on available parking spots. They had to have a specific ratio or something (this may be listed up-thread). Since go-live, a massive parking lot opened next door, and multiple spots opened next to the SC itself. There is now plenty of room for more stalls.

Fair question, but please start a new thread in either the S or X charging subforum rather than discussing it here in a forum that is specifically about the Lone Pine Supercharger. The reason being, people come to this thread to find information about this specific Supercharger, such as charging problems, how busy it is, any expansion plans, etc.

Thank you! :D

Fair question, but please start a new thread in either the S or X charging subforum rather than discussing it here in a forum that is specifically about the Lone Pine Supercharger. The reason being, people come to this thread to find information about this specific Supercharger, such as charging problems, how busy it is, any expansion plans, etc.

Thank you! :D
Sorry for taking the thread off track (again)... :(

I view Lone Pine as a potential choke point because you must put ~200 miles of rated range in the car to ensure getting up to Mammoth with a safety margin for wind, etc. That means a 45+ minute stop. So I think Friday night is the maximum demand period. I'm retired so Dec-Apr Mammoth trips are nearly always midweek, but I know how weekend concentrated Mammoth's business is, so I don't think 4 stalls in Lone Pine are enough. Or else put another supercharger in Bishop.

Coming home from Mammoth I always put a full charge on the car the night before I leave. So I don't see why Lone Pine is so popular on the way home (Memorial Day Monday was obviously a peak travel time) as even a 60 can get downhill from Mammoth to Inyokern comfortably on one charge. Yet there is no question people are stopping in Lone Pine to charge on the way home. We have driven up on a couple of Sundays and often there are one or two other Teslas charging there.

On May 16 we had a short stop in Lone Pine because we wanted to have dinner in Mojave. But if I arrived at Lone Pine and the stalls were full, I'd change my plans and go to Inyokern. Inyokern has only 4 stalls too, but we almost never see another Tesla there. This surprises me as Inyokern serves both the people coming from LA on the 14 and from OC/SD on the 395.

At Mojave I see a change over the past year. On spring 2016 ski trips it was nearly always empty. This spring there are usually a couple of the 6 stalls in use.

I should add that when I arrived in Lone Pine, I also noticed that Inyokern and Mojave were entirely full too. Monday was definitely a pressure point on the entire network.

I continued to monitor Lone Pine (and Inyokern and Mojave) and it was constantly full or near full.

As to Friday nights, I agree that these are just as peaky. We arrived with only one stall open last Friday -- and it was only 4 in the afternoon.

This is pretty typical on holiday weekends.

Last edited: