Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lubbock (SC), TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s so strange for a place like Lubbock TX, a collage city with a population over 250k to not have a supercharger or any DCFC. Makes me think there’s someone in the city working against EV charging infrastructure for whatever reason.

I'm not sure what's going on up there. The fastest charging now (non-Tesla) is one station at the Harley Davidson dealer (charged up our BMW i3 pretty quick, not supercharger quick, but quick). For Tesla's the fastest option is La Quinta on the NW part of the Loop. They need a Tesla Service center and that would cover Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland, Odessa and the surrounding metro areas with a population in excess of one million people including a major 4 year university. And of course they need a Supercharger and EA needs to install CCS stations as well.

I'm not sure what's going on up there. The fastest charging now (non-Tesla) is one station at the Harley Davidson dealer (charged up our BMW i3 pretty quick, not supercharger quick, but quick). For Tesla's the fastest option is La Quinta on the NW part of the Loop. They need a Tesla Service center and that would cover Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland, Odessa and the surrounding metro areas with a population in excess of one million people including a major 4 year university. And of course they need a Supercharger and EA needs to install CCS stations as well.

While the EV adoption rate in WT and SE NM isn’t the greatest. As the old saying goes “If you build it, they will come.”..
Currently we have our choice of 3 service centers... all 5 hours away from our house!

Also I spoke with a guy who’s knows the Lubbock Mayor and his BFF, Apparently the BFF owns several of the car dealerships in town.. take that for what it’s worth and draw your own conclusions.

Well a small update. Spoke to a mobile service tech today at my house who came out of DFW. I needed some center console work done since the doors have not worked properly since delivery. Anyway, I asked about Lubbock and he said after me (in Abilene, TX), he was heading to Lubbock for some more service appointments. He told me they are actively looking for a service center location in Lubbock that will also house a mobile tech team. I assume it would serve the Pan Handle / Midland / Odessa / Eastern NM and is probably being considered due to Tesla ownership increasing in the region. I also think Tesla is starting to invest heavier on infrastructure in Texas.

No word on any superchargers for Lubbock yet but I'm hopeful they will get one if they are getting a service base and possibly a gallery.

I'm in Odessa TX and picking up my first Tesla next week in El Paso. Hoping to be able to have mobile service availability when needed because the nearest SC is 4+ hours away! Also, the Tesla supercharger site does show a supercharger planned for Lubbock with a target opening in 2022. I hope that's real!
Congrats on the Tesla. I know you will enjoy it. If Tesla is serious about putting some type of service center in Lubbock (and it appears they are), then hopefully a Supercharger will follow. The Supercharger has been "planned" in Lubbock for over 5 years now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Your Tesla will come with a J1772 adaptor so you will be able to charge at a few locations in Lubbock (in addition to some Tesla destination chargers) when you travel there.

John

Reactions: rdrwtx
I'm in Odessa TX and picking up my first Tesla next week in El Paso. Hoping to be able to have mobile service availability when needed because the nearest SC is 4+ hours away! Also, the Tesla supercharger site does show a supercharger planned for Lubbock with a target opening in 2022. I hope that's real!
The rule with Tesla's map is never rely on a "future" location, only count on what already exists. We're all sure Tesla will eventually have a supercharger in Lubbock. But whether it opens in 2022 or by 2032 is anyone's guess. So, if a site isn't already charging cars up, pretend Tesla never said anything about charging there. All the locations that say 2022 on that map should really read "target opening by 2022 or later".

If you want to follow along with locations where the community is sure there's concrete action towards building a supercharger, supercharge.info is the best resource. But they only put locations on their map once there's independent confirmation of development, not based on Tesla's statements which haven't been reliable in the past.

Just went up to Lubbock for a college campus visit with the family. It was pretty stressful unfortunately. My wife booked the hotel before thinking about charging. I should have cancelled but figured we could just slow charge while touring the campus - but even the slow chargers in Lubbock are pretty janky. Ended up having breakfast at the Overton to get access to their customer only chargers - very very nice staff there to unlock the chain across the chargers - but still a PITA.

Needless to say, my tech savvy, engineering bound son was less than impressed...

Journeying from Austin to Lubbock, could have also really used a SC in Lampasas - the speeds on those empty highways really eat through charge enough to activate ye-olde range anxiety. On the way back we went through Junction instead - makes for a more balanced charging route, though the roads from Sweetwater to Junction are not ideal.

xnappo

Last edited:
Reactions: blecchus_rex
Just went up to Lubbock for a college campus visit with the family. It was pretty stressful unfortunately. My wife booked the hotel before thinking about charging. I should have cancelled but figured we could just slow charge while touring the campus - but even the slow chargers in Lubbock are pretty janky. Ended up having breakfast at the Overton to get access to their customer only chargers - very very nice staff there to unlock the chain across the chargers - but still a PITA.

Needless to say, my tech savvy, engineering bound son was less than impressed...

Journeying from Austin to Lubbock, could have also really used a SC in Lampasas - the speeds on those empty highways really eat through charge enough to activate ye-olde range anxiety. On the way back we went through Junction instead - makes for a more balanced charging route, though the roads from Sweetwater to Junction are not ideal.

xnappo
Best Buy in Lubbock by the West Loop has J1772 chargers.

That was my backup incase we needed juice on the way to Levelland. My wife & I drove in our new MY AWD from Abilene, stopping in Sweetwater to supercharge to 90%. This was also a REALLY windy day out with winds out of the north, like 20-30+mph headwinds. I figured 90% would be more than enough. The car nav thought we'd get to Levelland with 20% SoC, we made it there with 6% left and that was us going 5MPH under the speed limit the whole time. We almost decided to go to Best Buy and get a couple miles added but we decided not to. Once we hit TX114 going west and no longer had that crazy headwind, our energy efficiency increased enough to convince me we didn't need to stop.

xnappo
Brownwood would be my first choice since it's closer to a mid-point and is at more of a crossroads - but I'd definitely be happy w/ Lampasas too! The void in supercharging in & around Lubbock is pretty egregious when you zoom out on the map at supercharge.info. Of all the major geographic gaps among the lower 48 states it stands out as the only one that has a significant population center (~260K) w/ a major university smack in the middle of it.

One benefit of the years long delay is that when it finally arrives it should be a V3 Supercharger! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I have yet to stop at a V3 Supercharger in Texas.
Yeah, reason being despite the fact Texas is getting a gigafactory, there is only 1 V3 Supercharger in the state

Last edited by a moderator:
if College Station SC got pulled in, maybe there is a chance for Lubbock as well?
I hope so. Tesla's "find us" page still shows the College Station one as "Coming 2022" just like Lubbock's. But from what I understand, Lubbock's spot on Tesla's map has been there a while and the date keeps pushing back.

Aside from some internal rumblings I've heard from the mobile techs from DFW area that say they are in the process of building/finding a spot in Lubbock, there hasn't been much activity. I posted earlier that the invoice from my last mobile service actually listed a Lubbock address for Tesla but a Google Maps lookup shows the address on my invoice to be a storage unit location on Quaker north of town.

My last mobile tech said they were internally asking their mobile techs in the DFW area if any would be willing to transfer to the Lubbock service center when it opens. Not sure if they want them to do temp transfers for training or to move there permanently.

It looks like Tesla updated their supercharger hosting application.

Please send any business owner that might be interested in hosting a charger this link:

Host a Supercharger | Tesla
I'm curious where folks would prefer a supercharger in Lubbock be located. It's been a long time since I've spent any time at all there, but my recollection is that the more desirable areas (eateries and such) were on the West side of town clustered around the South Plains Mall and in the vicinity of the TTU campus. But as far as major thoroughfares passing through I'd guess something along I-27 or US 84 would make more sense. Perhaps if there's an obvious 1st and 2nd choice we could bring that form to the attention of the business owners in question.

My personal preference is a 24 hour truck stop type location. Feels more secure. Always have restrooms available & a quick snack if needed.

With a Model 3 & V3 chargers the stop really isn't that long to worry about where to eat if it isn't basically attached.

Again, my personal preference. It's a bit longer with our S but still nothing I would consider heading to a sit-down restaurant.

Reactions: DriverOne