Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Madison, CA (I-95 NB and SB Rest Areas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just tried plugging into one on the SB side but it just stayed at starting to charge and never actually started. Heading to work so didn't have time to try others. Some of the pedestals still are covered too
I think I had this happen to me in Chestnut Hill, MA the day it went live. The adjacent stall paired with it (it was a V2 site) worked for me there. Not sure how V3 deployment would affect this behavior though.

I got a successful charge around 3pm both south and north. Charged at first pedestal tried at each. Stalls are not numbered, if you are there you can probably figure out which stall I was in. NB is top pic, SB bottom pic. Charged at SB first in my way home from Boston, then did U-turn and stopped by NB. Saw another relatively old car charging at NB - CT Tag S85D.

2020-01-30 14.58.57.jpg
2020-01-30 14.51.48.jpg

Also noticed two other things. A door that covers what looks like some switches was open on the southbound.
The transformers N and S are 1500kVA, so while each stall may be capable of 250kW at a given time, there is some sharing at least at the site level that would limit it to an average of 150kW per stall.
Not necessarily, utilities routinely overload transformers. Those ratings tend to be pretty conservative.

Reactions: juliusa
Not necessarily, utilities routinely overload transformers. Those ratings tend to be pretty conservative.
Thanks. I know they do that for residential. I think even in the future if all cars have 150kWh packs and could charge at 250kW up to 50% SOC, it would still be unlikley a 10-stall location would exceed the 1500kW rated capacity for any extended period of time. And there may be some cars like my 85 in the charging mix for quite some time that max out at 115kW, and taper quickly.

Fairfield CT with a 750kVA for a 12-stall location, and 500kVA for the 8-stall location on the other side of the highway.....That seems like there may have to be some limiting going on. I think Madison and Fairfield are two different utilties - Eversource for Madision and UI for Fairfield.

Pretty disappointing visits to both NB and SB Madison locations today.

Northbound I tried three different stalls and the charging was SO SLOW that I thought something might be wrong with my car. I finally settled with the "best" stall which managed to produce 32kW and 138mi/hr. Took FOREVER to add 40 miles.

Two hours later I tried Southbound and the first stall I tried made the charging port logo rapid blink red. (Lots of humming and clicking coming from the stalls both NB and SB) I tried two others before I got one to work. It got up to a "blinding" charge rate of 145mi/ hr.

Make sure you pad your schedule with a bit of extra time if you plan on using Madison locations in the near future.

Been to both the northbound and southbound V3 in Madison now. I hope that these are currently limited to go through a safety check... I was the only car at the Northbound this morning around 9am. I was running at 65-66MPH and added 7miles for $.98 which is worse than gas. 2 weeks ago I hit the southbound one and it maxed out at 122MPH and stabilized at 86MPH.

Why is this?

Attachments

• 07335F5E-4348-4BB4-B2A7-7A5117F8CC12.jpeg
    07335F5E-4348-4BB4-B2A7-7A5117F8CC12.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 62
  • F486998B-6C1C-45FF-98A1-AEA3F9DC79B2.jpeg
    F486998B-6C1C-45FF-98A1-AEA3F9DC79B2.jpeg
    532.6 KB · Views: 68