Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mammoth Lakes, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were at Mammoth early last week, driving up 12/11 and home 12/13. Temps were ~60 in the Owens Valley and in 30's/low 40's in Mammoth Lakes. Thus all charge stops were essentially the same as on our trips last April.

We were waiting to pick up a passenger to drive home so were fully charged (277 rated miles) when we left Mammoth ~2PM on 12/13. We made it to Mojave with 24 miles rated range, charged there for exactly an hour and left at 249 miles rated range.

That makes 5 Tesla trips to Mammoth and we have yet to have a true cold weather test. We may try again this week.

I'm at Mammoth now. I arrived 2 nights ago and charged for just a few minutes when I first got here to give me a cushion. Over the last 36 hours, I lost 33 miles while just parked. Mostly in single digit temps, or just a bit higher.
Charging tonight while eating at The Mogul. Getting pathetically low rates, with a max of 64 kW. I arrived with one other Tesla charging: a white Model X who pulled in to the SC backwards. In all the times I have charged here, I have not seen one other Tesla. Within 2 minutes of my arrival, 2 more Teslas pulled up. Busy weekend. Great skiing though. Best in many many years.

I'm at Mammoth now. I arrived 2 nights ago and charged for just a few minutes when I first got here to give me a cushion. Over the last 36 hours, I lost 33 miles while just parked. Mostly in single digit temps, or just a bit higher.
Charging tonight while eating at The Mogul. Getting pathetically low rates, with a max of 64 kW. I arrived with one other Tesla charging: a white Model X who pulled in to the SC backwards. In all the times I have charged here, I have not seen one other Tesla. Within 2 minutes of my arrival, 2 more Teslas pulled up. Busy weekend. Great skiing though. Best in many many years.

I was there over presidents weekend and there were many many Tesla's. Skiing was amazing! Charged on the way in when battery was warm to avoid the low charge rates. Topped off the last night while eating at Roberto's a short walk away with sluggish charge rates.

Seems like about half the people I have seems at the mammoth SC pull in backwards.

It took a total of 2 hours to charge from 56 RM to 264 RM (Max 272). There was only 1 other car there when I was finished. My guess is the other cars had warm batteries when they arrived.

Yes, charging upon arrival would be the ideal way of getting a fast charge, but not fun at 10:30 at night and after a 7 hour drive with a sleeping child. Besides, I would rather only charge once while up here, and like to do that on my final night so I have as much range as possible for the ride home. The saddest part of this is that when the battery is cold soaked, I don't get any significant regen until about half-way down the hill, losing all that benefit.

On another note, skiing was truly epic this weekend. In fact, the best skiing I've had here in at least 10 years. White fluffy wind-blown powder everywhere, especially Face of 5. I'll be back in 3 weeks. Can't wait.

It took a total of 2 hours to charge from 56 RM to 264 RM (Max 272). There was only 1 other car there when I was finished. My guess is the other cars had warm batteries when they arrived.

Yes, charging upon arrival would be the ideal way of getting a fast charge, but not fun at 10:30 at night and after a 7 hour drive with a sleeping child. Besides, I would rather only charge once while up here, and like to do that on my final night so I have as much range as possible for the ride home. The saddest part of this is that when the battery is cold soaked, I don't get any significant regen until about half-way down the hill, losing all that benefit.
The solution may be to pre-heat the car with the app before driving, whether you're about to hit the Supercharger or drive down the hill. This works for me here in the SoCal mountains when the car has been cold soaked (I park outdoors) and I have to drive down the mountain (4900' descent over 16 miles from my home). I remotely turn on the climate control 15-30 minutes before departure. As long as "range mode" is off, this also prompts the car to run the battery heater. By the time I depart, the car will generally allow 15-30 kW of regen (depending on how cold it is and the SOC). Of course, I also make sure to avoid charging above about 85%.

The solution may be to pre-heat the car with the app before driving, whether you're about to hit the Supercharger or drive down the hill. This works for me here in the SoCal mountains when the car has been cold soaked (I park outdoors) and I have to drive down the mountain (4900' descent over 16 miles from my home). I remotely turn on the climate control 15-30 minutes before departure. As long as "range mode" is off, this also prompts the car to run the battery heater. By the time I depart, the car will generally allow 15-30 kW of regen (depending on how cold it is and the SOC). Of course, I also make sure to avoid charging above about 85%.
Thanks. I will try that next time. I did drive the car to the SC, which is a 5 minute drive, but I did not run the heat on the way there. I had it off to save miles on the trip up, and just forgot about it.

Thanks. I will try that next time. I did drive the car to the SC, which is a 5 minute drive, but I did not run the heat on the way there. I had it off to save miles on the trip up, and just forgot about it.
Actually, I'm not sure whether it would have mattered whether or not you were running the heater while driving, as the car should have been warming up the battery either way.

The key, I think, is to get the car to start conditioning the battery well before you start driving, to give it enough time to bring the battery up to a semi-reasonable temperature. Running the climate control, with range mode off, should accomplish that.

Actually, I'm not sure whether it would have mattered whether or not you were running the heater while driving, as the car should have been warming up the battery either way.

The key, I think, is to get the car to start conditioning the battery well before you start driving, to give it enough time to bring the battery up to a semi-reasonable temperature. Running the climate control, with range mode off, should accomplish that.
Yes, that was my point. I don't think the 5 minute drive (<3 miles) was sufficient to warm up the battery. I am heading back up in 2 weeks, and this time I will turn the heat way up a good 30 minutes before I get in the car. Though, the temps in Mammoth should not be as low at that time.

At least another foot of snow due tomorrow!

• Love
Reactions: McManX
I am cross-posting this from another thread:

Just tried to charge at Mammoth. 55 degrees out and 45 miles of range. I could not get above 23 kW at any stalls. Somebody else arrived at the same time and he too had the same issue. My batter was "cold", but 55 is not that exactly freezing. I called Tesla, and they reported that several of the stalls were drawing reduced power, and that my battery was still cold and needed 20 more minutes.

Update: I tried to pre-heat my car this afternoon prior to leaving for the SC. Having only 45 RM on the battery, I received an error message on my iPhone that I do not have sufficient energy and could not do so (I do not have the specific language, as I did not have my reading glasses on at the time).

I drove the 3 miles to the SC to charge during lunch. I started with 14 kW, slowly increasing to 51 kW after 40 minutes. It was about 45 degrees outside. I terminated the session at 110 RM when we finished lunch. I charged again tonight at dinner. This time, I was able to pre-heat the car for about 30 minutes. I arrived with about 95 RM, and started the session at 24 kW, slowly increasing to a max of 61 kW. I was hoping for a range charge for my trip back home tomorrow, but stopped at 164 RM (only 8 miles short) after a full 2 hours of charging.

Update: I tried to pre-heat my car this afternoon prior to leaving for the SC. Having only 45 RM on the battery, I received an error message on my iPhone that I do not have sufficient energy and could not do so (I do not have the specific language, as I did not have my reading glasses on at the time).

I drove the 3 miles to the SC to charge during lunch. I started with 14 kW, slowly increasing to 51 kW after 40 minutes. It was about 45 degrees outside. I terminated the session at 110 RM when we finished lunch. I charged again tonight at dinner. This time, I was able to pre-heat the car for about 30 minutes. I arrived with about 95 RM, and started the session at 24 kW, slowly increasing to a max of 61 kW. I was hoping for a range charge for my trip back home tomorrow, but stopped at 164 RM (only 8 miles short) after a full 2 hours of charging.

I believe that pre heat message is for under 50miles left. I have gotten it once before, also in mammoth, low charge, and cold snow covered car (~25*F). Looks like preheating only helps a little bit. I usually charge on the way in (unless arriving really late), dinner at Robertos and maybe top off once more. How is the snow/skiing? Saw the mtn got a few inches today

I believe that pre heat message is for under 50miles left. I have gotten it once before, also in mammoth, low charge, and cold snow covered car (~25*F). Looks like preheating only helps a little bit. I usually charge on the way in (unless arriving really late), dinner at Robertos and maybe top off once more. How is the snow/skiing? Saw the mtn got a few inches today
We ate at CJs last night. Empty, as is the entire town/mountain, but good. Roberto's was busier. I will try that next time. Skiing is amazing. Spring conditions: icy in the morning and softer in the afternoon. Hit and miss white-out conditions yesterday, but fun. Should be great this morning before we head home.

I do not like charging when I arrive, as the required stops in Mojave and Lone Pine make for a long trip as is. I typically make it with an ICE in under 4 Hrs 30 Min with stops. With the Tesla, it is 6 hours. I typically have one of my kids with me, and they are done by the time I arrive. Besides, we typically leave LA at 4am so we can get nearly a full day of skiing in. If I arrive with <50 RM, I will charge for about 5 minutes to give me a cushion and for local driving, saving the big charge for the night before I return home.

Reactions: McManX
This post could go in this thread, the Mammoth thread, or any of the other SC threads, but I am choosing here since it is more read.

I drove back from Mammoth yesterday afternoon. The only difference between this trip and priors is that I had a ski rack. I took a massive hit on range. I seemed to make it to Lone Pine with as much range left as expected, a little less than without the rack, and charged with enough to make it to Mojave, and then some. In the past, I found that I needed 136 to make it to Mojave, arriving with about 25 left. This time, I charged to 151. I almost didn't make it. I ignored the "slow down" warnings, as they are typically off. The winds picked up and it became a true nail biter. I estimated I would arrive with 10 miles to spare, when I was 40 miles out. I slowed down, and my 10 mile buffer continued to drop. For the last 7 mile stretch, I drove 45 MPH with my hazards on. I made it with zero miles left! I know others reported that there may be a buffer, but some other people said otherwise. I believe there were much higher winds in the stretch from LP to Mojave, and that must have done it.

This post could go in this thread, the Mammoth thread, or any of the other SC threads, but I am choosing here since it is more read.

I drove back from Mammoth yesterday afternoon. The only difference between this trip and priors is that I had a ski rack. I took a massive hit on range. I seemed to make it to Lone Pine with as much range left as expected, a little less than without the rack, and charged with enough to make it to Mojave, and then some. In the past, I found that I needed 136 to make it to Mojave, arriving with about 25 left. This time, I charged to 151. I almost didn't make it. I ignored the "slow down" warnings, as they are typically off. The winds picked up and it became a true nail biter. I estimated I would arrive with 10 miles to spare, when I was 40 miles out. I slowed down, and my 10 mile buffer continued to drop. For the last 7 mile stretch, I drove 45 MPH with my hazards on. I made it with zero miles left! I know others reported that there may be a buffer, but some other people said otherwise. I believe there were much higher winds in the stretch from LP to Mojave, and that must have done it.

Yikes.. yeah from my experience having the ski rack on the car takes a good 20-30% off efficiency.
Glad you made it in the end! What I do these days is pack the ski rack in the trunk then mount in once on the mountain.
After the ski trip is done, take it down again. I know it's somewhat of a pain, but it's totally worth it if pressed for time!

I planned for a 10% hit. Man, was I way off. I need my ski rack for the ride up there and back, having passengers in the rear seats. When I get to Mammoth, I rent a locker for the trip, so I don't have to carry my gear at all. I am not going to worry about it anymore. I am just going to get a bigger charge and watch the wind.

I do not like charging when I arrive, as the required stops in Mojave and Lone Pine make for a long trip as is......

If your hotel or lodge had a destination charger, then you could just plug in when you arrive and your battery could be charged and warmed all night long (with range mode off).

Ask the manager if you can get him in touch with Tesla's destination charging program. Even if the answer is no, after enough people ask they may change their minds and install charging stations.

Good Luck,

GSP

If your hotel or lodge had a destination charger, then you could just plug in when you arrive and your battery could be charged and warmed all night long (with range mode off).

Ask the manager if you can get him in touch with Tesla's destination charging program. Even if the answer is no, after enough people ask they may change their minds and install charging stations.

Good Luck,

GSP
I wish! That would certainly be ideal. The condo I use has no garages on the property whatsoever (Mammoth West, just below Austria Hof). All parking is on the street. There is no access to any power except for a 110 outlet they use for Christmas lights on their sign. Prior to the Mammoth SC, a member on this forum was extremely generous in letting me use his garage. Destination charging is certainly the best way to charge. If I ever have to stay at a different location, access to charging is high on the list.

I wish! That would certainly be ideal. The condo I use has no garages on the property whatsoever (Mammoth West, just below Austria Hof). All parking is on the street. There is no access to any power except for a 110 outlet they use for Christmas lights on their sign. Prior to the Mammoth SC, a member on this forum was extremely generous in letting me use his garage. Destination charging is certainly the best way to charge. If I ever have to stay at a different location, access to charging is high on the list.

Early last year, before the SC was turned on I was able to drop off my S at the 80|50 residence, which is right in front of the village gondola, and they were able to valet the car and charge it free of charge in their underground parking lot (I just tipped the valet a nice amount).

This was very convenient as I barely walked to the gondola/lifts, then came back to a charged and warm car! :)