Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mammoth Lakes, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the delayed response, I didn't see the question earlier. Imo I think it was built with towing a trailer in mind with the ability to tow through but after using there's no way I could see that it would be easily feasible, especially in the winter time with the snow banks, also not enough room to pull wide and straighten out with a trailer. I left lone pine with a rated range of 207, drove 73-75 mph, kept heater off most of the time and made it with 15 miles to spare. I don't think I'd ever have the nerve to haul anything at all to mammoth with a model x, there's way too many variables with the weather, especially the wind! I'd be interested to see if anyone will make the trip in an x even with a small trailer from lp... Any guesses? I think bishop needs a small SC, 2-4 stalls would help a ton in winter or with towing. I have done this drive a bunch now in my p85, there's definitely a sizable time penalty for taking the tesla but I just love the car! Wish it had AP so badly for this trip, missed that lottery by a week:)

Sorry for the delayed response, I didn't see the question earlier. Imo I think it was built with towing a trailer in mind with the ability to tow through but after using there's no way I could see that it would be easily feasible, especially in the winter time with the snow banks, also not enough room to pull wide and straighten out with a trailer. I left lone pine with a rated range of 207, drove 73-75 mph, kept heater off most of the time and made it with 15 miles to spare. I don't think I'd ever have the nerve to haul anything at all to mammoth with a model x, there's way too many variables with the weather, especially the wind! I'd be interested to see if anyone will make the trip in an x even with a small trailer from lp... Any guesses? I think bishop needs a small SC, 2-4 stalls would help a ton in winter or with towing. I have done this drive a bunch now in my p85, there's definitely a sizable time penalty for taking the tesla but I just love the car! Wish it had AP so badly for this trip, missed that lottery by a week:)
Your energy use seems much higher than mine. When I left with 205, I arrived with 42. I was definitely traveling 75 the entire time. The second time I went, I left with an even bigger charge, about 250, and arrived with 72, though I was carrying much more weight that trip. I cannot remember my energy usage, but believe it was around 460. I would feel okay taking an X with a trailer (if I was lucky enough to have those), but would certainly take is slow and cold, and would wait for a range charge in LP.

Taking the Tesla up 395 was so much fun. +1 to the time penalty. I usually do that trip from L.A. in 4.5 hours. With the Tesla, it pushes 6.

I took delivery of my S90D on April 2. First Mammoth drive April 10 took 5 hours 12 minutes from Glendale including 13 minute charge Inyokern and 43 minute charge Lone Pine. Return April 13 included dinner stop Inyokern with charging more than needed to get home.

Second trip Apr. 25 was about 5 1/2 hours but included a Schat's bakery stop. There were very high winds which increased power consumption 17% over the first trip. Return April 27 included dinner stop Mojave with charging more than needed to get home.

May 27 trip before Memorial Day weekend had more traffic even though we left before noon. Slower average speed of 75mph allowed us to skip Inyokern and get to Lone Pine without stopping. We spent 1 hr 20 mins in the Lone Pine movie museum and still got to Mammoth with a Schat's stop in under 6 hours. On June 1 we drove to Yosemite Valley stopping in Tuolumne Meadows for an 8 hour hike.

On June 2 we left Yosemite after a Mist Trail hike, got to the Fresno supercharger with 106 miles of rated range left, stopped for dinner charging more than needed to get to Tejon Ranch. The final Tejon stop was about half an hour.

Tony, impressive trips! That's terrific that the Mammoth SC enabled you to get to Yosemite via Tuolumne Meadows. I assume you were able to charge in Yosemite Valley before continuing on to Fresno. That's the part that would worry me, finding an available charger in Yosemite Valley. Choices are limited unless you stay at the Awahnee.

I took delivery of my S90D on April 2. First Mammoth drive April 10 took 5 hours 12 minutes from Glendale including 13 minute charge Inyokern and 43 minute charge Lone Pine. Return April 13 included dinner stop Inyokern with charging more than needed to get home.

Second trip Apr. 25 was about 5 1/2 hours but included a Schat's bakery stop. There were very high winds which increased power consumption 17% over the first trip. Return April 27 included dinner stop Mojave with charging more than needed to get home.

May 27 trip before Memorial Day weekend had more traffic even though we left before noon. Slower average speed of 75mph allowed us to skip Inyokern and get to Lone Pine without stopping. We spent 1 hr 20 mins in the Lone Pine movie museum and still got to Mammoth with a Schat's stop in under 6 hours. On June 1 we drove to Yosemite Valley stopping in Tuolumne Meadows for an 8 hour hike.

On June 2 we left Yosemite after a Mist Trail hike, got to the Fresno supercharger with 106 miles of rated range left, stopped for dinner charging more than needed to get to Tejon Ranch. The final Tejon stop was about half an hour.
Tony - super helpful post. Did you use autopilot much on your drives, and if so, how amenable are the highways on the drive to Mammoth to autopilot? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Tony - super helpful post. Did you use autopilot much on your drives, and if so, how amenable are the highways on the drive to Mammoth to autopilot? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Thanks for the Post. I'm planning a similar trip. A few questions... Did you charge to 100% at Mammoth Lakes? Did you charge in Yosemite Valley?

I use the adaptive cruise control most of the time driving to/from Mammoth. I've read it helps range a little bit and I like it anyway to keep the right leg from being tensioned, especially after a day of skiing. We are fast drivers but Glendale to Lone Pine in one shot means using the cruise control as much as possible and holding the cruise setting at 80mph or less most of the time. Average speed Glendale to Lone Pine was exactly 75mph on May 27. The more common midweek trips (I'm retired) we drive faster and have a short (<15 mins) stop in Inyokern.

I'll anticipate the speed question. We got a ticket on April 13 because the 12v adapter cord for a radar detector is stretched from the windshield to the plug under the armrest and can easily come slightly loose. The next week Al&Ed's Autosound on La Cienega installed a bracket under the rear view mirror and an under-the-headliner power cord to it. It's a cleaner and more secure arrangement, cost ~$50 in parts ordered online and $275 for installation.

The autosteer definitely works on the divided highway part of the drive, which is all but 25 miles. I generally prefer not using autosteer at 75+mph but that's just my personal taste. I do use the Autosteer occasionally on SoCal freeways with variable levels of congestion, which to me is the scenario where I like reducing arm tension.

Upon arrival at Mammoth we have dinner at a walking distance restaurant, charge to mid-200s, which will last the duration of the stay at Mammoth, even the last one where we went to Bodie May 31.

Departing Mammoth I want a full charge to get home most efficiently. The last night after dinner I take a book and/or my phone to the charger and babysit it up to 290 rated miles, usually takes half an hour or so.

Going from Mammoth to Fresno it is not necessary to charge in Yosemite Valley. We had 280 miles rated range leaving Mammoth and arrived in Fresno with 106. You're have nearly 8,000 feet net altitude loss and it's only occasionally possible to drive more than 45mph inside park boundaries.

If you're going the other way I estimate Fresno-Yosemite-Mammoth will use 83 more miles of rated range. That's a close call but probably still works on a S90D because of practical speed limitations within park boundaries. But realistically you won't want to hang around Fresno for a full charge, and if you take any diversion like Glacier Point you'll need a charge in Yosemite Valley anyway. So if taking the trip west to east you should plan on charging in Yosemite Valley IMHO.

I haven't done the calculations, but east to west in one shot should work Mammoth to Manteca also.

Last edited:
Thank you leafarmer, I was thinking my 2012 S85 maximum charge is around 250 rated miles. When I saw charge to 290 I was not feeling too good about this potential trip.

On a recent trip we were able to keep up with a couple of folks driving new S90s while stopping at several superchargers during a day in Wyoming and Colorado despite our A type battery and lower capacity--maybe because of experience.

johnnyS said:
Thank you leafarmer, I was thinking my 2012 S85 maximum charge is around 250 rated miles. When I saw charge to 290 I was not feeling too good about this potential trip.
All of my trips were doable with an S85 or even an S70 or S60. Note I only used 174 rated miles driving Mammoth to Fresno.

Why do I range charge to 290 at Mammoth? So I can get home in the minimum amount of time. The effect of having a smaller battery doesn't prevent the trip but only serves to extend the amount of time you spend at superchargers. Using the spreadsheet posted on this Forum I estimated that a round trip L.A. - Mammoth would have 135 minutes at interim supercharger stops in an S70D vs. 100 minutes in an S90D. The longer stretches we did (L.A. - Lone Pine, Mammoth to Mojave) skipping the Inyokern charger would require slower speeds with a smaller battery. I would recommend driving normal speed and making the extra stop as that would still be faster overall. In winter vs. late spring temperatures those Inyokern stops will be needed even in an S90D.

What is the charge rate others are getting at Mammoth Lakes SC?
I was there a couple of weeks ago and saw half the normal rate (~220 mph) with a nearly empty battery.
I was not paired with anyone else charging (there was only one other car charging) and I tried three different stalls.
I ended up just charging enough to get to Lone Pine rather than the optimal amount that would have allowed me to charge at Inyokern and skip Lone Pine and Mojave.

Last time I charged there was April. I was the only car there, and had a similar rate, though I started with about 100 miles in reserve. I would like to hear what others report. Perhaps you should contact TM and let them know.

My Mammoth trips were mid and late April, late May and mid-June, with no problems at any superchargers. The California slow charging problems noted on these forums attracted much attention in July/August and seem to be less prevalent but still occasional this month.

IMG_0133.JPG
Charging now. 28*F outside cold, cold soaked battery, and snow on the ground. Started at 34kW has slowly been increasing, now at 51kW.

Going up next week. Will charge during dinner at Moguls our first night there. Will get a range charge and use that for the rest of the trip before I head back down the hill. I wish I had a place to plug in and warm up so that our regeneration works down the hill. It sucks missing out on all that regained energy.

Going up next week. Will charge during dinner at Moguls our first night there. Will get a range charge and use that for the rest of the trip before I head back down the hill. I wish I had a place to plug in and warm up so that our regeneration works down the hill. It sucks missing out on all that regained energy.

Do you have the max battery power option in your car? That would definitely warm it up for you.