Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Medford, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We need a SC in Roseburg, not Medford. Odd choice.
Not really that odd when you look at it from the perspective of where can they get an agreement to build. Most new SCs along I-5 in OR and WA are at Target stores (Medford, Salem, Kelso, Lacey). I only see one Target between Redding and Eugene, and it’s in Medford. I’m sure Roseburg is also a priority, but it’s probably taking longer to find a site.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS
Roseburg is still on the Tesla map as a future location, so it’s gotta be a viable area.

If it’s in Roseburg I’m betting on the dying on the vine JC Penny as my first choice (cheap rent maybe), or the Fred Meyer which is very close by and on a boulevard, plus there’s a Charge Point there too already. Both locations are just off I-5, but Fred is a little more convenient.

Sutherlin is my other choice at what now, according to Google Maps, is a Tractor Supply just off I-5 at the Central exit. Fast food places are right there as is a Charge Point at the DQ. I’m personally rooting for Sutherlin as my college roommate (1973 Chico State) and his wife live less than a mile from this location.

There’s nothing in Green fast food wise, so that’s off my screen for sure.

Roseburg is still on the Tesla map as a future location, so it’s gotta be a viable area.

If it’s in Roseburg I’m betting on the dying on the vine JC Penny as my first choice (cheap rent maybe), or the Fred Meyer which is very close by and on a boulevard, plus there’s a Charge Point there too already. Both locations are just off I-5, but Fred is a little more convenient.

Sutherlin is my other choice at what now, according to Google Maps, is a Tractor Supply just off I-5 at the Central exit. Fast food places are right there as is a Charge Point at the DQ. I’m personally rooting for Sutherlin as my college roommate (1973 Chico State) and his wife live less than a mile from this location.

There’s nothing in Green fast food wise, so that’s off my screen for sure.
I had never even heard of "Green," but after looking at Google Maps, I think it's that place with the awful on-ramp/off-ramp setup (or lack thereof). I remember getting off to get gas once in my ICE days and it took me 15 minutes to get back on the freeway. Don't think they'd ever put a supercharger in a place like that.

The best place in Sutherlin would be by the new Starbucks in my opinion. There's also a Dairy Queen, Subway, and pizza place right there and it's easy on/off the freeway. There are already Electrify America chargers there.

Reactions: otter
I had never even heard of "Green," but after looking at Google Maps, I think it's that place with the awful on-ramp/off-ramp setup (or lack thereof). I remember getting off to get gas once in my ICE days and it took me 15 minutes to get back on the freeway. Don't think they'd ever put a supercharger in a place like that.

The best place in Sutherlin would be by the new Starbucks in my opinion. There's also a Dairy Queen, Subway, and pizza place right there and it's easy on/off the freeway. There are already Electrify America chargers there.
Glad to hear someone agree on the Sutherlin location.

Reactions: kpalaniswami

Roseburg, OR has a Fred Meyer off exit 125, and Tesla has locations at a number of Fred Meyers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
Looks like the new Lacey station got a few of your transformer cabinets.

Attachments

• 64CF8397-58A7-44B2-9ED2-2DADED5751B4.jpeg
    64CF8397-58A7-44B2-9ED2-2DADED5751B4.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 140
  • F4AB07F5-7EC4-4612-AF77-91154E7724F3.jpeg
    F4AB07F5-7EC4-4612-AF77-91154E7724F3.jpeg
    849.7 KB · Views: 83
Status update for ya guys. Looks like 12 V3 chargers. 1 pull in and 11 back in, and 2 more posts going in off to the side for?? View attachment 584658View attachment 584659View attachment 584660View attachment 584661View attachment 584662View attachment 584663

There is a good chance the two extra posts are ChargePoint level 2 chargers. It appears that’s what Tesla has done at some other recent Target locations. It likely was part of the agreement that Tesla has with Target (since Target approved like 50+ locations around the US).

Medford will be nice. As others have mentioned, it's a turn off for Crater Lake and Bend, also Jacksonville wine country. Last time I was at Grants Pass there was a line of five cars and (or because of) slow charging speeds. No one has mentioned that the second longest gap on I5 to Mt Shasta also includes Siskiyou Summit, 4310', the highest point on I5 between Canada and Mexico.

Roseburg just needs a good location. Fred Meyer can be a slow crawl from I5 at times. There is a new Five Guys being built visible from I5 and next to a hotel. Sutherlin actually has better I5 access and is the turn off for Reedsport on the coast, which is why the EA (Always Empty) charger is there.

Salem will really help me get to McMinnville. Currently I have to fully charge in Springfield to make the 190 mi round trip. Woodburn looks close but there is no easy East West road between McMinnville and Woodburn.

Reactions: otter and house9
Yes, Medford is great for splitting the gap between Grants Pass and Mt Shasta while taking a load off of busy Grants Pass!

Medford is great for Crater Lake IF you are coming from the south going north up I-5...I don't think it helps if you're travelling south down I-5 from where the Willamette Valley is north of Roseburg. Now, Roseburg would help! I DO hope for a Roseburg SC...main reason Medford is getting a SC is because there is a Target there...

Talked to Blackrock today when they were working on the Lacey SC. The air quality drove them out and they hope to be back soon and to focus on Medford. As soon as the air is clear they will grab the extra cabinets from the Lacey SC and get down to Medford to get things going.

He told me that their timeline is 3 weeks, from break ground to ready for power. They don't always make that, as evidenced recently.