Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re-opening the "where will it be" discussion. My opinion remains unchanged, there will be one in West Memphis Ark, one in Batesville MS and one in Jackson TN. That being said, if any on this thread don't live in this area, two interesting things have happened. One is that Memphis landed an Ikea, which they are building right now, at exit 16 on I-40 (Germantown Parkway, which is on the eastern edge of Memphis proper). And, 4 miles further East at exit 20 (Canada Road) there used to be an "outlet mall" (really wasn't, was just knick-knack shops) has just been bought and is being developed into upscale suburban shopping. Either would provide a great location for East-West charging readily convenient to shopping and food, and are in safe areas. They are both on the East periphery, and I-55 goes down the West side, so neither is terribly convenient for North-South. Lastly, I-269 is mostly complete and US-70 is being renamed I-22; a charger at the intersection of I-22 and I-269 (intersection doesn't exist, yet) will be reasonably convenient for travel in all directions, IMO. That would be in or near Byhalia, MS. I would bet then once Tesla finishes the initial build-out and they are looking for in-fill locations, this location will get one.

Last edited:
West Memphis is a craphole, and Batesville isn't appreciably more redeeming if I am thinking of places where I would be willing to be stuck for 30+ minutes. The problem with 55 is that there isn't anywhere worthwhile between Jackson and Memphis. It's sort of like 65 south of Montgomery.

I'll be able to make it to the south side of Jackson from Memphis in the 3 when heading to Biloxi, so I don't need anything more than what they have already installed- but if there isn't something along 55 in Memphis (downtown should be a consideration, IMO, as it's right off of 55), I understand why they would feel compelled to put one in Batesville or Grenada.

I22 is the conversion of US78, is it not? That's what has been converted to 22 in Alabama, at least.

I'll be able to make it to the south side of Jackson from Memphis in the 3 when heading to Biloxi, so I don't need anything more than what they have already installed-

I'd be pretty skeptical about that, with an EPA rated 215 miles. Maybe at ideal temps running well under the speed limit.

I used over 240 rated miles going from East Memphis to the Pearl supercharger, under ideal conditions and driving fairly conservatively in an 85d

Others have proposed having about 1.5x as many rated miles as you intend to drive if you don't want to slow down or worry about range. I think that's about right, but it means you probably should count on 145-150 mile legs in the Model 3.

Sorry typing error ... Yes, US-78 not US-70 is becoming I-22.
I've always thought there there should be two stations in Memphis, one at I55/Goodmand and another at wolfchase. I'm sure Memphis will eventually get a service center. A charging station at I55/Goodman and service center at Wolfchase area (or vice versa). If Memphis will only get one charging station for now, my suggestion is: Memphis Airport or Bass Pro Shops/Resort in downtown Memphis.

I've always thought there there should be two stations in Memphis, one at I55/Goodmand and another at wolfchase. I'm sure Memphis will eventually get a service center. A charging station at I55/Goodman and service center at Wolfchase area (or vice versa). If Memphis will only get one charging station for now, my suggestion is: Memphis Airport or Bass Pro Shops/Resort in downtown Memphis.

It is interesting that they didn't put ANY EV charging stations of any kind in when the rebuilt the Pyramid. After all, you are talking about the largest (total) Bass Pro in the country, and many Bass Pro's have EV stations, and it's right off I-40 very close to I-55 and future I-69. Maybe they are waiting for the city to build them a new parking garage? Or just too close to the 'hood, until that area is redeveloped?

This issue should have been resolved, today.

IKEA announced yesterday that their new store, being built now, will be powered by the largest solar array in the state. That large should have a battery, and if there's a battery there should be a SuC in the parking lot. Its in the Wolfchase area, at intersection of I-40 and Germantown Parkway, which is state route 117, 2 blocks from US-64. Terrible traffic, and close to potential locals, but low crime, quick-on and -off, lots of chain restaurants and shopping (adjacent lot with Costco and several other stores). If there's a Panera nearby (and there is, but not walking distance; may be one closer too) then they shouldn't even have to think about it.

At least that my theory.

This issue should have been resolved, today.

IKEA announced yesterday that their new store, being built now, will be powered by the largest solar array in the state. That large should have a battery, and if there's a battery there should be a SuC in the parking lot. Its in the Wolfchase area, at intersection of I-40 and Germantown Parkway, which is state route 117, 2 blocks from US-64. Terrible traffic, and close to potential locals, but low crime, quick-on and -off, lots of chain restaurants and shopping (adjacent lot with Costco and several other stores). If there's a Panera nearby (and there is, but not walking distance; may be one closer too) then they shouldn't even have to think about it.

At least that my theory.

The Ikea location would help I-40 travel, but is still pretty far from I-55 for north-south travel. If they locate one on or near the 1-40/55 split west of West Memphis and one in Jackson that could cover both I-40 traffic and I-55. The official Tesla 2016 map doesn't show anything on I-55 between Sikeston and Memphis before Grenada. Sikeston to Grenada would be a pretty long leg, and wolfchase/Ikea is pretty far out of the way for that leg. It would also be a problem in traffic.

I still think the best Memphis location on the Tennessee side of the river is the mall on the southeast corner of the Poplar Ave (hwy 72) and I-240 interchange. It has lots of food, Target, Best Buy, etc. Low crime area and immediately adjacent to the interstate so little detouring.

The airport would work, but amenities are sparse and the surrounding neighborhoods are a little sketchy.

I see a SC is under construction in Sikeston, MO, right off I55 at the Lambert's exit. That's great news. I'm a big Cardinals fan so I will be planning a trip to STL as soon as the SC is online. If we can get a SC in Lit Rock, Jax,TN and Mem next the biggest gap in the SC network will be filled.

Reactions: Zroiron
Fantastic! That's not where I expected them to put it, not a super great area. I imagined it'd be up near I-40 and Wolfchase Mall/Germantown Pkwy, way more stuff up there. Then again IKEA is almost done being built in that area and they'll likely have quality L2 chargers there.

I pass by here on my commute so I'll keep an eye out for when construction starts.