Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Miles City, MT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@MarcoRP
Suggest you mark Miles City as broken

Only 4 of 8 are lit, and I just stopped and couldn't get any of the lit chargers to successfully connect.

Attachments

• PXL_20200921_025433784.jpg
    PXL_20200921_025433784.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 107
I will check tomorrow. Last week the transformer side, away from the street, would connect but not charge. The side nearest the street charged but I had to back in lengthwise because I was again half ICED. The location of the chargers just begs trucks and trailers to block the chargers. The chargers are statistically not time occupied and oh so convenient for ICEing, being close to the side door of the truck stop store.

Charging at 40-52kW this morning. First one I picked. Must be lucky. Charged to 95% at Glendive just in case. Always said time remaining calculating throughout the whole charge. Stall 1B on inside is marked if somebody wondered. V3 stall seemed quiet unlike the other V3 stalls.

View attachment 590510 View attachment 590512
Sounds like the coolant is not circulating.

I charged there Friday evening and Sunday afternoon, both times on the fourth one from the road (1D, I think) and had no issues connecting or charging. Easily hit v3 speeds. The set of four that were furthest from the road were unlit, so I didn't even try them. Also, there were many checkins on PlugShare of people successfully charging in Miles City over the last week.

M3BlueGeorgia, given your experience here and at Fargo, I'd suggest having Tesla take a look at your car. At one point, I had to have the charge port assembly replaced on my 3 because it wouldn't consistently start a charging session.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
I charged there Friday evening and Sunday afternoon, both times on the fourth one from the road (1D, I think) and had no issues connecting or charging. Easily hit v3 speeds. The set of four that were furthest from the road were unlit, so I didn't even try them. Also, there were many checkins on PlugShare of people successfully charging in Miles City over the last week.

M3BlueGeorgia, given your experience here and at Fargo, I'd suggest having Tesla take a look at your car. At one point, I had to have the charge port assembly replaced on my 3 because it wouldn't consistently start a charging session.
I had the same thing happen on a trip in my S. I was convinced that the supercharger network was headed downhill, but it was the car. My charge port had a ground fault, I think. Spent two unanticipated days camped out at the St Louis service center.

I think I already mentioned up thread, but I had no issue charging late one night about 3 weeks ago. First stall I tried worked as intended. But the next day, I met a guy in Glendive in a new Model 3 who said he tried every stall and only the last one worked for him. Something is definitely amiss here. And it's not the type of location where there are other reasonable options so Tesla needs to get it sorted ASAP.

Reactions: im.thatoneguy
I think Tesla have a problem with the design of the plugs on the V3 chargers.
It's possible it is cold temperature related as the V3 charger in Metter, GA seems to connect reliably.

Perhaps the extreme cold temperatures in North Dakota and Montana cause it to warp, just a little.

The net result is that these V3 chargers have great difficulty connecting to many Model 3, including mine.
Seems less of a problem with Model S & X, but that's not scientific.

It's possible it is cold temperature related as the V3 charger in Metter, GA seems to connect reliably.

Perhaps the extreme cold temperatures in North Dakota and Montana cause it to warp, just a little.

The net result is that these V3 chargers have great difficulty connecting to many Model 3, including mine.

Interesting question although I do not think the chargers to the west in Montana have had such issues. I charged normally today on the charger closest to the street. The charger on the other end just gave me a red Tesla signal, versus green, without charging.

Given that they’re constantly being moderated by coolant, one would think the 250s would be a lot more cold tolerant than the 150/120s that haven’t suffered a similar fate. That said, only 1/8 pedestals was working at West Yellowstone when I car camped there in -26F.

This supercharger has only been open June through September. Don't think it's the cold!