Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mojave, CA (EXPANDED Dec 2021, 6 V2 + 4 V3 + 2 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When and if Bakersfield proper gets its planned Supercharger, and when and if Kramer's Jct. gets its planned Supercharger, those two locations will take some pressure off Mojave. Not a lot, as I suspect 80% of the usage is for people traveling between the San Fernando Valley and the Owens Valley north. But there are plenty of Bay Area types heading to Vegas or Arizona or Valley types like me who head to Arizona to make a difference. I would certainly charge in the planned Bakersfield SC and bypass Mojave.
Yep. Hope for those too. 28 deep though indicates a problem that cannot be entirely solved by other locations. Even Palmdale will not help me much, as I would need a much bigger charge in Lone Pine to make it there. I typically arrive at Mojave with less than 50 miles. Well, Palmdale could work with that, but I play it safe. The storms from last week prove my point.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Wow !!! Nothing posted about this SpC for over a year.
I did get to use this location over a month ago and it was full or 'reduced service due to being busy'.

Ok, no proof of being over used all the time.... BUT - it is a 4 way SpC, not a 2 way.
Tesla should consider expanding now!

2 way - along a route going just two directions (east/west or north/south)
4 way - basically an intersection of major SpC routes.

Mojave has been on the coming soon section of Tesla's map for some time. I have been periodically checking the Kern County site for permits, to no avail. This place is a very important junction, yet still has only 6 stalls. This last Christmas holiday was a miserable experience, with severely long waits. I wonder why no expansion yet? There sure is plenty of room. I have never once seen any congestion in this massive lot. Heck, they could had 50 stalls and still have room for more.

Mojave has been on the coming soon section of Tesla's map for some time. I have been periodically checking the Kern County site for permits, to no avail. This place is a very important junction, yet still has only 6 stalls. This last Christmas holiday was a miserable experience, with severely long waits. I wonder why no expansion yet? There sure is plenty of room. I have never once seen any congestion in this massive lot. Heck, they could had 50 stalls and still have room for more.
Personally, I would hope they would find a 2nd location rather than expanding the original. The current supercharger is functional, but isn't a GREAT location imo. I know the town is kind of rough around the edges (major understatement here) though and I don't have any good ideas of where they could put another one. Perhaps someone with better local knowledge might have some suggestion.

Sketchy as hell is more like it, and so it the surrounding area.

Equipment shows signs of wear and damage.

I drive slow so I can make it to Inyokern.

My vote would be Tehachapi.
I've been surprised Tehachapi hasn't gotten a supercharger yet, but 4SUPER9 has a point in that Mojave is at the intersection of two highways while Tehachapi only serves the Barstow/Vegas to Northern/Central CA crowd. Every time I go through Tehachapi, I stop and check at the Love's which I think would be a GREAT spot for a supercharger, but alas no joy.

Agreed....there is an airport (Mountain Valley) near there with a clean RV campground with 40A service and NEMA 14-50 outlets. I should talk to the owner about getting a destination charger.
But an RV park next to glider port is not a destination. We're probably the only two people around that would would want to sit and watch gliders while our car charges and that's only when they're flying on weekends. Downtown Tehachapi would be a better location for a Destination Charger, but the ChargePoint J1772 that is already there gets little use.

The best location for a Supercharger station in Tehachapi is indeed the Loves/Flying J truck stops on the east side of town. But the reality is Mojave or Bakerfield are more worthy locations due to their intersecting travel paths.

Last edited:
Agree about the SuC locations.

The airport is open 6 days and has a small restaurant. I'd say about a dozen folks a day show up during the week just to have lunch, walk their pets/ kids and watch the gliders, not including the folks the RV park.

Vincent grade restaurant is not a destination either, but has 4 or more Tesla destination chargers.

• Informative
Personally, I would hope they would find a 2nd location rather than expanding the original. The current supercharger is functional, but isn't a GREAT location imo. I know the town is kind of rough around the edges (major understatement here) though and I don't have any good ideas of where they could put another one. Perhaps someone with better local knowledge might have some suggestion.
The Stater's Bros. parking lot is the best site in town. While the restaurant selection isn't great as far as chain restaurants, when Mojave Thai or Anthony's are open those aren't bad (relatively speaking). Both of those are frequent lunch destinations for the aerospace employees that work on the airport. The benefit of that parking lot, besides the space, is that it's further away from the local residents that are on the south and west side of town. The hotels and gas stations down there are VERY well lit at night. They're blinding in fact. I have to conclude that frequent car break-ins are a motivation for the massive LED light arrays.

It will be interesting to see what Supercharger configuration Tesla comes up with. There's not a lot of room to expand in the immediate vicinity of the 6 stalls outside Anthony's without displacing normal car parking traffic. They could add more stalls across the parking lot, but I don't know how frequently they expand stations in that fashion.

Last edited:
I still believe that chargers located on multi directional routes should at the least be given double what their counter part chargers are up the road where it's only a one direction route.
Mojave is a prime example (although only Tesla knows usage numbers). East/West and North/South.
I was there recently ( a Tuesday arrived 11 am) just 15 minutes of charge - but reduced charge rate due to high usage. I stopped charging, but only because I was heading toward St George, Utah which gave me many choices - Barstow (one of the early chargers), Yermo (one of my favorite charger stops), Baker (massive), Primm, and Vegas (several).
But if i was headed north or west and arrived at Mojave with low charge - it would have hurt.

I know Tesla is trying to do these as fast as possible - but hopefully they consider their ultimate use (worst case) and plan accordingly.
Certainly they have reached a level where there are a majority of necessary chargers and they can ramp down but focus on feasible and smart installations.

I still believe that chargers located on multi directional routes should at the least be given double what their counter part chargers are up the road where it's only a one direction route.
Mojave is a prime example (although only Tesla knows usage numbers). East/West and North/South.
I was there recently ( a Tuesday arrived 11 am) just 15 minutes of charge - but reduced charge rate due to high usage. I stopped charging, but only because I was heading toward St George, Utah which gave me many choices - Barstow (one of the early chargers), Yermo (one of my favorite charger stops), Baker (massive), Primm, and Vegas (several).
But if i was headed north or west and arrived at Mojave with low charge - it would have hurt.

I know Tesla is trying to do these as fast as possible - but hopefully they consider their ultimate use (worst case) and plan accordingly.
Certainly they have reached a level where there are a majority of necessary chargers and they can ramp down but focus on feasible and smart installations.

Tesla may be holding off at Mojave for the nonce as Palmdale is in the works to the south; Kramer Jct. is slated to the east; Bakersfield proper is planned to the west. (Humorously: Tesla should place a Supercharger at Pearsonville to the north at the junction of SR14 and US395. Then Inyokern and Mojave could be eliminated, but I digress.)

As suggested above, Tehachapi near the Love’s truck stop might be a better fit for east-west travelers.

The updated 2021 Supercharger map has been published and the additional station previously shown for Mojave has been removed. Being optimistic about it, maybe they’re now planning to just upgrade the current site.

They also removed the pin for a future site at Kramer Junction at CA-58 and 395.
Gee, and you a breath of fresh air this morning. :p
Well, Kramar Jxn would be very nice, though at least we have some substitutes now that help.
Mojave is in dire need of an expansion. 20 V3 stalls would be ideal, though an additional 6 may do the trick, especially if they can be V3. This is a travel route. No locals here charging!

Stopped to charge here 4 times over the past few weeks.
A key note: this place is not safe. When I pulled up one of those times, there was only one other guy charging. A rarity. His door was wide open, and he was half hanging out of his car while looking at his phone. Just stretching out and taking a break. I saw a really creepy looking guy stare at him from behind, then started to sneak up on him. Literally, crouched down behind his bumper getting ready to pounce. That is when I approached in my car. He and I made eye contact and he immediately turned around and walked away. I hate to think of what would have happened had I not pulled up just then.
So please, watch yourself in this lot. Stay aware.

On the other hand, safety in numbers. This location is so darn busy that this scenario is unlikely. Yesterday, I arrived to get the last spot. 3 cars left within a few minutes, but then 6 more cars arrived. 3 waiting. I blew out of there with less than ideal charge to make room for them. An expansion is long overdue.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV