Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mountain View, CA - Grant Rd (under construction, 32 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quazite box.

Attachments

• PXL_20240112_212448426.jpg
    PXL_20240112_212448426.jpg
    869.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Informative
Reactions: DoItDiff and bmah
I'm surprised to see that most stalls in this location are pull-in. Anyone know what factors might cause tesla to use this design? I'm doubtful it's local building codes since the station on Bernardo has back-in stalls.
Ha. Go and look at the forum discussion about the Coney Island, Brooklyn Supercharger that opened up a couple of weeks ago. Mobbed by non-Tesla people who take advantage of the Magic Dock. (Mostly Taxi drivers, but still.)

In fairly short order this year tons of people with charging ports in odd places are going to start swarming over Tesla Superchargers. That's not a big problem, per se, but with the ports practically everywhere (front, rear, driver's side, passenger's side) there have already been problems with cars taking up two and three lanes. A drive-through approach may alleviate that.

I was told by PG&E workers that there would be two transformers. I saw the first one (which you are referring to) being installed. A surprisingly large part of its volume is taken up by wires as fat as my wrist connecting to the bus bars to the Tesla equipment.
That sounds right as far as what’s inside. 32 stalls could mean 1 large and 1 small transformer. @1100MCM what say you?

We may be waiting for a lot. The trenching runs to hole currently covered in sheets of plywood. From there towards Grant Road are lots of USA (underground service alert) spray-paint markings on the sidewalk and the street pavement, ending on the other side of Grant at two underground vaults in the sidewalk. So we could be waiting for more trenching and conduit installation along Phyllis Avenue and across Grant, plus installation of whatever belongs on that empty concrete pad in the parking lot.
IMG_1106.JPGIMG_1107.JPGIMG_1109.JPG
(Those two vaults are right in front of a private residence. Those people are going to get a close-up experience of the construction whether they want it or not.)

Reactions: Young
We may be waiting for a lot. The trenching runs to hole currently covered in sheets of plywood. From there towards Grant Road are lots of USA (underground service alert) spray-paint markings on the sidewalk and the street pavement, ending on the other side of Grant at two underground vaults in the sidewalk. So we could be waiting for more trenching and conduit installation along Phyllis Avenue and across Grant, plus installation of whatever belongs on that empty concrete pad in the parking lot.
View attachment 1012887View attachment 1012888View attachment 1012889
(Those two vaults are right in front of a private residence. Those people are going to get a close-up experience of the construction whether they want it or not.)
Usually you wouldn't have a transformer installed without the high voltage wiring being in place so this is definitely something interesting.

Last transformer installed...then removed!

Last Thursday the second transformer cabinet was installed then when I came out of work it was gone. I went over to the crew and asked what happened and they said they something underground blocked them from pulling the final wire and they chose to remove it and maybe use it somewhere else until that was resolved. The first image is shows both transformer cabinets in place but the second picture is after with the Ditch Witch hose down the hole where the left one was. I didn't bother to post right way as I thought they might be right back - but apparently not.

IMG_1206.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG

Crew was back there this morning, apparently extending the trench towards Grant — this is the entrance on Phyllis further from Grant, looking from the parking lot towards Phyllis:

1000022911.jpg

And a vacuum excavator parked to be used soon I guess:

1000022918.jpg

Pretty amazing how long the chargers have been sitting there waiting for electricity!

• Informative
Reactions: Tyl and wws
Each pedestal is having a hardware change out to make them NACS handshake capable. Eventually making magic docks unnecessary. (Magic docks are probably going away; my guess). The new pedestal hardware will make each of these charging stalls compatible (complete the handshake) with all new NACS vehicles.

Photos…. The hardware switch out.

Attachments

• IMG_6840.jpeg
    IMG_6840.jpeg
    825.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6841.jpeg
    IMG_6841.jpeg
    867.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6842.jpeg
    IMG_6842.jpeg
    809.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6843.jpeg
    IMG_6843.jpeg
    842.2 KB · Views: 15
Each pedestal is having a hardware change out to make them NACS handshake capable. Eventually making magic docks unnecessary. (Magic docks are probably going away; my guess). The new pedestal hardware will make each of these charging stalls compatible (complete the handshake) with all new NACS vehicles.

Photos…. The hardware switch out.
I think the hardware is for CCS vehicles with NACS adapters. Any new vehicles with NACS ports will have the right protocols to use the SuC network without these boards. Current CCS vehicles with an adapter need these boards to work, similar to Magic Dock.

Reactions: Tyl
I think the hardware is for CCS vehicles with NACS adapters. Any new vehicles with NACS ports will have the right protocols to use the SuC network without these boards. Current CCS vehicles with an adapter need these boards to work, similar to Magic Dock.
I disagree. The burden of NACS compatibility for V3 Superchargers is completely on Tesla's side. A CCS vehicle with a NACS adapter is likely to be indistinguishable from a native NACS vehicle as far as a charging station is concerned.