Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - New Rochelle, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not always -- particularly in the case of "urban" SCers where I believe the electricity costs are usually covered by the facility/ land owners.
Then that is what it is. Tesla owners sit in the car and not pay the parking lot fees. For them they are getting no money and paying for electricity. I did plug in and it didn’t charge. Also the mcu shows it as being temporarily closed.

not always -- particularly in the case of "urban" SCers where I believe the electricity costs are usually covered by the facility/ land owners.
Do you have any evidence of that? I've never heard of that before. There are a few Superchargers where a local business pays for electricity but they usually have signs indicating that - e.g. Harrisburg, PA and Burlington, VT
Super Charger; Harrisburg, PA area

no formal evidence. but I have seen the ChargePoint and Destination Charger agreements of various NYC parking garages and I know that the garage provides the electricity in this cases. I am therefore assuming the garages are providing the electricity in the case of urban SCers as well.
The power draw of a Supercharger, even an urban SpC at 72 kW is much higher than a destination charger or level 2 charger, so I find it doubtful that parking garages would pay for it. Local businesses might but I would expect them to get the benefit of advertising that effect on the chargers.

I've parked/charged in various NYC garages.
Destination chargers are sporadically free, though many garages I called ahead to wanted $10+ to plug in.
Urban Superchargers are (almost) never free.
I've heard of some USC being free but not found one yet myself.
Not to be confused with Tesla somethings flaking and not charging you for a charge session, which used to happen occasionally.

It makes sense as otherwise you could pay $15-20 to park for 1hr at an USC and get ~$20 of charging for free.

• Informative
Reactions: Darren S
Can anyone confirm the SuC is closed? We were planning a long trip that would have us staying overnight at a hotel In New Rochelle right next to it.

@jlv1, which direction are you driving from? Are none of the other area superchargers available (Kearny, Paramus, Bronx Bay Plaza, Yonkers, Tarrytown, Greenwich, or Darien)? It seems to me that you could just charge up to 90% (or more) at any of the other spots and have more than you need for your overnight stay and next day. Am I missing something here?

upload_2019-6-10_14-10-59.png

We're driving down from the Thousands Islands to L.I. for a graduation. It will be 7 hours of driving and we wanted some place nice to stop north of the Throgs Neck Bridge to sleep overnight, since the graduation is the next morning, after which we'd be driving back home to Massachusetts - so we really want to start the day at 100%.

We really didn't want to be further south than New Rochelle - it was about the right distance. We were told to avoid a hotel near the Yonkers SuC and the Tarrytown SuC was just a bit too far north. According to PlugShare, there aren't many hotels in this area with EVSEs. The one in New Rochelle had J1772s (which is what we planned to use, but which are also closed) in addition to the SuC, so it seemed perfect.

At this point, we've booked a hotel out on L.I. with a J1772, which adds nearly an hour to our trip on Friday night.

We're driving down from the Thousands Islands to L.I. for a graduation. It will be 7 hours of driving and we wanted some place nice to stop north of the Throgs Neck Bridge to sleep overnight, since the graduation is the next morning, after which we'd be driving back home to Massachusetts - so we really want to start the day at 100%.

We really didn't want to be further south than New Rochelle - it was about the right distance. We were told to avoid a hotel near the Yonkers SuC and the Tarrytown SuC was just a bit too far north. According to PlugShare, there aren't many hotels in this area with EVSEs. The one in New Rochelle had J1772s (which is what we planned to use, but which are also closed) in addition to the SuC, so it seemed perfect.

At this point, we've booked a hotel out on L.I. with a J1772, which adds nearly an hour to our trip on Friday night.

Thanks for clarifying, @jlv1, but I still don't see where there is an issue staying in New Rochelle for the night AND having a ~95% charge upon arrival after the last supercharger. I don't know which of the 3 possible routes you'll be taking to New Rochelle but each of them have a supercharger toward the end of the route and most likely this would be Tarrytown at 20 miles away or at worse Newburgh at 60 miles away. Coming in from the west you would pass Paramus about 30 miles away.

I won't assume that the destination is within 10 miles of a supercharger on Long Island but I wouldn't think this would be a difficult route for getting enough charge or range charge and peace of mind. Again, sorry if I'm missing why it is an issue that the New Rochelle supercharger isn't available when there is one just 20 miles north of it (Yonkers is closer but might be too much traffic in that direction).

Also, depending on the timing, it might be best to continue onto Long Island Friday evening / night as opposed to getting it first thing Saturday morning but that might depend on conditions an hour or two away which is probably too late to make or change Hotel reservations so you get to decide that ahead of time.

upload_2019-6-10_17-21-41.png

That would be adding a third SuC stop to the trip, and one close to where we are already going to be staying overnight. We'll be arriving late (10PM) after traveling 7 hours. I'd rather not be sitting with the car at a SuC for another hour for no good reason. I know my wife would kill me if I suggested such.

I've already planned this out in ABRP.

Originally we were going to using the J1772 at the hotel in New Rochelle and charging overnight. But that J1772 is marked as closed -- and I just want to know if the SuC is really also closed.

Last edited:
That would be adding a third SuC stop to the trip, and one close to where we are already going to be staying overnight. I'd rather not be sitting with the car at a SuC for an hour for no good reason. Especially at night (getting there at around 10PM) and after having already traveled 7 hours that day.

I've already planned this out in ABRP.

Originally we were going to using the J1772 at the hotel in New Rochelle, but that is marked as closed -- and I just want to know if the SuC is really also closed.

Noted, but I'd go ahead and plan on New Rochelle not being available. The last few check-ins on PlugShare even indicate this. Hopefully the ones north of it are not too far out of the way for your route and there aren't any issues at the destination hotel on Long Island. Good luck !

I live in New Rochelle. J1772 is working. Supercharger and chaDeMo chargers aren’t working. Problem is regular cars park in j1772. So no guarantee of getting those 2 spots.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
I live in New Rochelle. J1772 is working.
Interesting that the J1772s are still working, because those are still marked closed on PlugShare. If you have a chance, you should go there and check-in a successful charging session.

BTW, my post #58 above was from the car as we drove by New Rochelle on the way home. Last week was our trip I mentioned above and on Friday we made the 400 mile trip starting in the Thousand Islands area. We ended up driving all the way to the Plainview SuC on LI mostly because my wife wanted to shorten the trip the next morning (we needed to be at the graduation at 9:30AM). I really didn't want to do that because I know that Plainview is always full of locals charging -- and sure enough, when we got there Friday night at 8:30PM 7 of 8 stalls were in use. Our only stop on the trip down was at the Tannersville, PA SuC while we ate dinner. We would have used Scranton but I81 was all backed up when we were going past.

So even with one SuC temporarily closed and another blocked by 8 miles of stopped traffic, we made the trip without ever worrying above where to charge next. The SuC network is just awesome. I couldn't imagine such a trip in any other EV today.

Reactions: plumazul