Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Norfolk, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday when I passed by, general contractor just arrived and had meeting ,so don't wanted to disturb them whit questions... but in day or too will stop there again. My car need electrons too and salesman talked me out of getting twin chargers and the only one fast charger in the area not to working make me sad ...

Stopped by there this afternoon and the contractors looked like they were just wrapping up for the day. Tape was still on the stalls. Talked to them a little bit; some of the guys wanted to see the car so I gave them a tour. I got the impression that things are still on hold.

One this station there are 2 indicators what need to be look for from now on in order everyone to know when that station will go online.
The station is 100 % complete in my opinion because the contractor left and didn't come back... they clean its and test its before they left !
on the pictures below there is "DO NOT OPERATE" tag on the door of the green box outside the wooden area . This is the main transformer for the station.
When this project is blessed from OSHA and all investigative organizations and pass final city inspection that "DO NOT OPERATE" tag will be removed and electrical meter will be installed again in circled glass in the grey box next to the door for the wooden area behind the green transformer

- - - Updated - - -

12019960_10200928970662015_3622916593191456232_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

12046842_10200928970502011_8455107826519741768_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

12032929_10200928970822019_1074260899142840723_n.jpg

What was determined to be the cause of death? Why memorialize something that may not have anything whatsoever to do with Tesla?

I've not seen any more articles, but I think it is pretty safe to assume that if they determined he died of unrelated natural causes, they would have already given the go-ahead to open/re-open the supercharger. The only plausible reason for it to remain closed is that he was electrocuted and they are not going to allow the site to open until they are convinced it is safe to do so and that they have completed their investigation.

It appears the OSHA investigation is still open. Inspection Detail
Good research! OSHA has up to 6 months to issue a citation and penalty if in fact there was a labor safety deficiency. With hundreds of SC's operating today, there's not likely to be a concern with the technology or fabrication of the station. Seems to me the utility would be quite concerned about inherent risks and not set a meter if they had any. I think this SC will go live in a matter of days, probably needs the City Electrical Inspector to sign-off.

I just made a 460 mi run from Northern NJ to Outerbanks with a single range charge in Salisbury. Had room to spare but in summer & winter extremes it will get tight without Norfolk. The SC is in bit of a remote corner but I had a cop car hanging around on the way down and a nice blue MS on the way back.
IMG_3009[1].JPG

That is correct . In my experience whit OSHA ...they can and will issue a citation and penalty and usually when that happened we talking a lot of money in citations and penalties and usually they do reduced its when anybody just ask them to reduce its . Generally they don't stop job sites if they find some hazards or violation and in event they do that job site is OK to reinspect and correct any problems whit that to satisfy that inspections .
In Virginia Beach the utility company or VEPCO will not install electrical meter unless City Electrical Inspector sign-off on its and usually himself call them after that inspection pass .
Because they just install its, that means that inspection from city is pass and how I said the station have power and is ready to be turned on to the receptacles. When VEPCO instated the meter no one from the general contractor had to be there, just breakers to be turn off. And because the contractor is not local no one turned the breakers ON yet. And because they already spend a lot of money on that station that they planed to do the first time , they may just go there when they will turn the station to TESLA and sign-off its to be paid . If they turn its ON before they turn its to TESLA warranty is not ON yet and if anything broke or burns they have to fix its from the contractors money .
That how generally is. When any electrical company fix or install lights in new or fixed building they don't want to turn them ON because if they burn off they have to fix them again before they can get paid and that is money lost.
So prime question now is when general contractor will go back to the station and turn that breakers on or when they have to turn the station to TESLA? Maybe day or too, week or few months from now ...when your car need electricity and 40 amp is too slow to charge its, a day is like a year ...

For anyone that is still traveling into/through the area there are a few 80A chargers in the area that can be beneficial if you have dual chargers. There is also quite a few Chademo stations in the area of which operation should be verified on Plugshare before visiting.

The Commodore Theater in Portsmouth is a great place to spend a few hours and catch a dinner and a movie.

There is Mythics on Great Neck Road near the beach where an owner is kind of enough to make it available to the public. There is a Starbucks across the street and other restaurants in easy walking distance that are open for Breakfast and Dinner.

There will also be a new Destination Charger at Croc's 19th St Bistro at the beach next week. They will have an 80A charger and a 30A Clipper Creek unit installed. This will be a huge help as not a single hotel at the beach has installed Level 2 chargers as of yet. Hopefully this install will help shed some light on the issue.