Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - North Bay, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what is not a speculation is that Tesla is in no hurry to make it work.
*shrug*
Could just be due diligence on Tesla’s part. Remember: with the S and X batteries, they used the 186550 cells, which were a known technology having been around a few years. Charge & discharge rates were well established and known, as was their charging profile.

The batteries in the 3 (the 2170 cells) are brand new, just developed. There is NO history with them and they’re still an unknown quantity when it comes charge/discharge rates over time. Tesla HAS to e very careful with them, or risk accidents that could demonize their technology. We cannot afford for that to happen, and for oil & gas to bury EVs a second time. Climate alterations will not wait for us to get our *sugar* together.

*shrug*
Could just be due diligence on Tesla’s part. Remember: with the S and X batteries, they used the 186550 cells, which were a known technology having been around a few years. Charge & discharge rates were well established and known, as was their charging profile.

The batteries in the 3 (the 2170 cells) are brand new, just developed. There is NO history with them and they’re still an unknown quantity when it comes charge/discharge rates over time. Tesla HAS to e very careful with them, or risk accidents that could demonize their technology. We cannot afford for that to happen, and for oil & gas to bury EVs a second time. Climate alterations will not wait for us to get our *sugar* together.
How long the model 3 being sold for ?

Less than the ten years required for good historical data.
So it took 10 years to produce the 1st chademo adapter ?
I am sorry, but that doesn't make sense.
I don't know the reason for the lack of adapter, I am speculating myself, but saying that it is because they don't have enough data seems to me very improbable. Since we are both speculating I can think of other reasons like a few years ago sc was free, so it made sense money wise to sell the adapter and not pay for the drivers electricty.
Also saying that the oil industry is going to take advantage of the chademo adapter is pushing it. It sounds to me like looking for excuses.
But anyway keep shrugging...

Last edited:
So it took 10 years to produce the 1st chademo adapter ?
I am sorry, but that doesn't make sense.
I don't know the reason for the lack of adapter, I am speculating myself, but saying that it is because they don't have enough data seems to me very improbable. Since we are both speculating I can think of other reasons like a few years ago sc was free, so it made sense money wise to sell the adapter and not pay for the drivers electricty.
Also saying that the oil industry is going to take advantage of the chademo adapter is pushing it. It sounds to me like looking for excuses.
But anyway keep shrugging...
The adapter? No
The batteries? Yup.

If a Chademo adapter is released before it’s ready and a hundred Model 3’s all catch fire using it in the same week, what do you think happens to the cars and Tesla?

Be patient. It will come. It’s only a matter of time.

The adapter? No
The batteries? Yup.

If a Chademo adapter is released before it’s ready and a hundred Model 3’s all catch fire using it in the same week, what do you think happens to the cars and Tesla?

Be patient. It will come. It’s only a matter of time.

For comparison, the Model S came out in 2012. I recall that I was not able to get the Chademo adapter for my MS until 2015, so 2.5 - 3 years. M3 started shipping in 2017, so that would place the release of the Chadamo adapter for the M3 (or a firmware update for it) some time in 2020. I also recall awaiting the release of the adapter for the MS with a great sense of impatience, just like now for the M3. ;-)

Photos as of yesterday

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190628_204608.jpg
    MVIMG_20190628_204608.jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 213
  • MVIMG_20190628_204604.jpg
    MVIMG_20190628_204604.jpg
    728.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20190628_204606.jpg
    IMG_20190628_204606.jpg
    772.4 KB · Views: 183
  • Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf and Anto
Can a admin get a new location topic please
New SC location under construction in Northern Ontario,
Esso Station
331 Hwy 17
McKerrow, ON P0P 1M0
Close to Espanola ON

Attachments

• 8F32A791-87C0-4C34-B58C-94287EB909A1.jpeg
    8F32A791-87C0-4C34-B58C-94287EB909A1.jpeg
    550.5 KB · Views: 193
  • A968A00D-B83F-4F88-9F4F-74C4B45BAB6E.jpeg
    A968A00D-B83F-4F88-9F4F-74C4B45BAB6E.jpeg
    554.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 649272B1-DF06-4C87-B588-7EE25DE85064.jpeg
    649272B1-DF06-4C87-B588-7EE25DE85064.jpeg
    415.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 9378BB3E-1657-4FBA-BBF2-D2CE624B35C0.jpeg
    9378BB3E-1657-4FBA-BBF2-D2CE624B35C0.jpeg
    673.9 KB · Views: 179
So I made my way from Gatineau to Sudbury this weekend to visit my brother and stopped by the Deep River and North Bay SC sites on both legs. I was pleased to see the progress in Deep River, especially since it was first noted about a week or so after North Bay was first announced. North Bay however left me somewhat disappointed. Work is happening, all the conduit appears to be in place, four of the six concrete pads for the connector pedestals are complete and what appears to be an underground vault for the main transformer is in place. But pads for the chargers and the remaining two connector pedestals remain to be poured (forms are built and on site but not in place) - this is definitively a six stall site. It's also a bit of an odd configuration as the stalls straddle an acute curb angle and a curb right angle corner. Anyway here are my photos taken about noon today. There was no change from Friday night to today and no tradesmen were on site today. It seems to be particularly slow progress but it has been a long weekend so... My brother may be coming down later in the month in which case, if he is travelling in daylight, I'll get him to stop and take a few more photos and post if and when.
Thanks and Cheers
Carl

Attachments

• North Bay SC 1a.jpg
    North Bay SC 1a.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 155
  • North Bay SC 2a.jpg
    North Bay SC 2a.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 154
  • North Bay SC 3a.jpg
    North Bay SC 3a.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 152
  • North Bay SC 5a.jpg
    North Bay SC 5a.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 148
  • North Bay SC 6a.jpg
    North Bay SC 6a.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
I was hoping to use North Bay for a trip in early August. Looks unlikely...

Since it has taken over a month from the first report of ground breaking to what I witnessed on Tuesday it would take a serious change of progress rate to be ready in early Aug and that would be with Hydro One providing the transformer quickly - something they are not known for doing. For what any speculation here is worth I'd say anytime before Labour Day Weekend would be a bonus
Thanks and Cheers
Carl

So while there is still no electrical equipment on-site there appears to have been some progress at the North Bay Site. The conduit and concrete work seem to be complete and the pylons to protect the site are also installed. They seem to be front and back which makes sense since there is only a curb separating the site from an entrance laneway. My brother snapped these pictures on his way down from Sudbury this weekend.
North_Bay_SC_12_Jul_1.jpg
North_Bay_SC_12_Jul_2.jpg
North_Bay_SC_12_Jul_3.jpg

Thanks and Cheers
Carl

I will be going to North Bay on August long weekend and hopefully this and Deep River will be open. Either way I will take some pics at that time.

Awaiting delivery of M3P+ that hopefully will be delivered before this trip otherwise it is a trip for the 5.7L ice

I will be going to North Bay on August long weekend and hopefully this and Deep River will be open. Either way I will take some pics at that time.

Awaiting delivery of M3P+ that hopefully will be delivered before this trip otherwise it is a trip for the 5.7L ice

Don't hold your breath! The chances of either North Bay or Deep River being ready by the Aug long weekend are no better than 0.001 and for both of them to be done the odds are an order of magnitude or two/three/four less than that. And with it being an M3 you don't even get the option of risking the KSI operated ChaDeMO chargers at Mattawa and Deep River.

We all will however all be very interested in the progress, or lack thereof, that the photos you take demonstrate.

Thanks and Cheers
Carl

Reactions: PLUS EV