Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Novato, CA (LIVE 28 Mar 2020, 20 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, you seem to be much more knowledgeable about this than me. Are we talking days, weeks or even months before you’d expect to see them active?
No real way to tell. None of the pictures I've seen have showed if the utility transformer is already on site or not. And getting that installed and then connected to the grid can sometimes take months all by itself. From a general construction perspective, there's probably ~2 weeks worth of work left to install the supercharger cabinets and then wire everything up. But even that may not happen directly because they might not have the cabinets on hand. Plus a bit of time for the odds and ends stuff like installing wheel stops and lamp posts.

I would say that there's a chance they are online by the end of the year, but wouldn't be surprised if it happened later than that.

Any indication of 72/150/250 kW yet?

Just looking at the pedestals in post #19, they're clearly not urban chargers, so not 72 kW.

Looking at the cables, they look to me like the original thicker cables from V2 pedestals, so I'd guess 150 kW.

Bruce.

PS. As I was writing this, I came across post #9, where the same conclusion was reached by looking at the configuration of the conduits.

• Informative
Reactions: Blu Zap
Just looking at the pedestals in post #19, they're clearly not urban chargers, so not 72 kW.

Looking at the cables, they look to me like the original thicker cables from V2 pedestals, so I'd guess 150 kW.

Bruce.

PS. As I was writing this, I came across post #9, where the same conclusion was reached by looking at the configuration of the conduits.

Thanks Bruce. I remember you from the Tesla Energy section. I guess sooner or later we all get Tesla everything.

Darn that Musk! Stop making great stuff already, I'm going broke! :D

• Funny
Reactions: miimura and bmah
I stopped by today and talked to the engineers / installers. There was a MASSIVE traffic jam that had completely shut down not only all the roads out of the center but also the roadways within the center. It was a total cluster. The roads within the center were all full of traffic which was not moving -- and people couldn't even back out of parking spaces. I've never seen anything like it.

They smiled sheepishly and said that PG&E (oh how we love PG&E...) shut down a lane because they have to run power from 500 yards away to fire these things up. They look like they're all installed and ready to go but he said no power and given the distance they are running power from -- intersection of Rowland Blvd and Rowland Way -- I assume it will be a while.

I would **speculate** that they thought they had enough power to run the SC but then figured out they didn't... my "read" on the situation was that they didn't think they were going to have to run power from the whole other side of the shopping center. They clearly looked a bit bemused. Again, the traffic at 2 pm on a Monday afternoon was EPIC, worse than Black Friday, since they had only one lane open on Rowland and 4 lanes from the shopping center had to all choke through that. Glad those drivers didn't know it was Tesla's doing!

I assume Tesla employees see these forums and don't want to get anyone in trouble - the guys working were very friendly and apologetic.

When they started talking about it I said "Wait a minute, all this traffic is YOUR fault??!!?" laughing and they said well... PG&E....

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Oh so THAT'S what the massive jam was about. I thought it was bizarre to have that on a Monday afternoon.

And so, I picked the WORST time to drive to the mall just to check out the Supercharger installation. It was no problem getting in, but leaving... oh my!

Confession: I ended up going back into the mall and driving to the exit closest to the traffic light. That saved a ton of time. I'm so ashamed. Well, maybe not too much. ;)

Reactions: goldengate
I used the same exit after creeping along the front of Target, etc.. there was a blue model 3 in front of me. Was that you?? haha.
The traffic was so bad it showed up on Google Maps so definitely will check that before I head over again.
I don't think they are going to have power anytime soon given what's involved. I worry that they will put it on hold until holiday shopping season is over...

I used the same exit after creeping along the front of Target, etc.. there was a blue model 3 in front of me. Was that you?? haha.
The traffic was so bad it showed up on Google Maps so definitely will check that before I head over again.
I don't think they are going to have power anytime soon given what's involved. I worry that they will put it on hold until holiday shopping season is over...
Wow, glad we got the Costco run in on the weekend. I can't believe they would make such a traffic mess at a time like this. Yes, our thanks go to our favorite utility company.

Reactions: goldengate
I was out there yesterday. It’s a busy parking lot and I didn’t like the look of this sign.

@channing saw and reported a sign at the Corte Madera superchargers saying that there were 20 stall superchargers coming soon to Novato and Santa Rosa. Based on that I was able to find a Novato building permit for one--B2019-0918. They are going in at the Vintage Oaks Shopping Center. Given that Tesla has a partnership with Target for installing superchargers, I wouldn't be surprised if they were near there. But there's no info as yet on the exact siting within the Vintage Oaks property.

Address: 208 Vintage Way, Novato, CA 94945
GPS: no information on exact siting within the property

@BlueShift @Chuq

This sign.
8F01EBF3-509D-422A-A375-AA01095F0209.jpeg

Attachments

• CF40FE12-9979-4701-A613-F716D59C0E3C.jpeg
    CF40FE12-9979-4701-A613-F716D59C0E3C.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 65
I took a peek today, they look just as the photos above show. It would be a random guess for me to suggest I know when they'll be operational. These are only 30 minutes from my house so I'll likely never be using them. I shop there from time to time but won't need to charge so close to home. As far as the "Vehicle Charging Preferred" sign, that's likely what Vintage Oaks management required. The good news is that they're in a significantly less-used portion of the lot. If they were in front of the Costco, they'd probably be fully ICEd during business hours.

Reactions: Blu Zap