Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Occupied/Empty Inaccurate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to be a common thing in my small 15-20x sample size over my first 3 weeks of ownership. Overstating how many are in use I mean. At least that's the way I always see it. Never once have I seen it the other way around. When I called them I mentioned maybe there are 2 broken chargers and that's their way of parking them? I was shot down right away. He said they don't do that. Well here's to hoping they figure out a better control and real-time system for us to count on....

See my post #14. They do "park" them according to two sources and they usually update within 5 minutes. That's what I have found in 84000 miles of travel.

Just drove down central Calif (Kettlemen City, Buttonwillow, Bakersfield Superchargers) then across to Death Valley then Vegas (Inyokern, Beatty, Las Vegas South Superchargers) and back thru Death Valley up thru Yosemite to home. (Lone Pine, Mammoth Lakes, Concord, Gustine, Hollister Superchargers) - checked out all (didn't necessarily use).
Each was either accurate or indicated more in use then actual. Never showed more available than reality.

Kettlemen City ROCKS !!!
Bakersfield - RELOCATE
Beatty - see pic (lucky I got there before him)View attachment 312445
Blocking Tesla Chargers with a Gasoline Truck....now that's just down right creative by the oil industry.

At the Wilcox az supercharger and found this. NAV says 2 of 8 available, when in actuality all 8 are available.
IMG_20180703_092136188_HDR.jpg

I always seem to see Superchargers not showing accurate info. on my Model 3 map/gps. My local one in Brunswick, GA always shows 2 of 6 in use for example. That's never been the case as there's never anyone there each time. I called Tesla to report but nothing changed. This same example has been seen in Orlando, St. Augustine and Daytona as well....

I know right? That sucks!

I also hate when I take my wife's ICE to the local Mobil station and all the stalls are full, even when the car reports that they're empty. Oh, wait... :D

I'd be much more worried if it was inaccurately reporting empty slots instead of full ones.

John

Had a chance to try it out today in Tucson
It seems the reporting in the nav is almost instant. it showed all 10 stalls available and upon arrival that was the case there was no one there. as soon as I plugged in by the time I got back into the car it showed one stall occupied on the nav which was meIMG_20180709_164105996_HDR.jpg IMG_20180709_164658939_HDR.jpg IMG_20180709_164115969.jpg IMG_20180709_164424576_HDR.jpg

Since most chargers have empty stalls, and cars move every few minutes (sensible people only charge 20 minutes or so to get to the next charger or home), AND by the time you check, drive, pull off the freeway and pull in to the SC, most everyone that Tesla reported as charging is GONE. There are only a few chargers where stalls are full all the time, and they are in areas where local owners feel they can use the chargers for over an hour while travelers wait. I try to avoid those chargers. I never have had to wait over three minutes, once, in 150,000 miles of driving. I also don't rely on the charger reports. Even if they were accurate, in a few minutes, they won't be.

I have been to 43 super chargers this year and never noticed a occupancy discrepancy. BUT I called once to report a broken stall in Moab, UT and all the info the tech on the phone saw was 100% INCORRECT. He thought 2 stalls were w/o power, but I see them all lit up. He saw 3 occupied, but it was just me. The stalls must have been also mis-labeled because he showed I was in stall 2a and I was actually on 3b.

I had low battery today leaving LAX. Nav showed Hawthorne (Tesla design facility) closed, but Manhattan Beach (at Ayres Hotel) showed one of 8 stalls open. Complicated to get to, but when I turned into the parking lot I saw one stall not in use because it is out of order with a damaged cable... and 4 Teslas waiting.

How hard could it be to make the app show out-of-order stalls as "in use"?