Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Oxnard, CA (EXPANDED Jun 2018, now 20 total)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gene, thanks for the updates and the photos from a few days ago. You mentioned that construction of the 24 Hour Fitness and the staging for the construction is blocking the presumed trenching path. On your next visit to the site could you please get a photo taken from the area of the unfinished Tesla Distribution pad, and towards the utility power source? Progress in that "view" may now be the bottleneck we keep tabs on.
Thanks again for your on the spot reporting!

Gene, thanks for the updates and the photos from a few days ago. You mentioned that construction of the 24 Hour Fitness and the staging for the construction is blocking the presumed trenching path. On your next visit to the site could you please get a photo taken from the area of the unfinished Tesla Distribution pad, and towards the utility power source? Progress in that "view" may now be the bottleneck we keep tabs on.
Thanks again for your on the spot reporting!

Gabriel, look at the photos. #1 you see pad and enclosure for the utilities transformer. #2 You look way down along the fence, a good 200 feet. It is at the end of this fence that the trenching will turn left at 90 degrees. #3 I am standing with my back to the fence taking the picture in the direction the trenching will head. #4. You see the pavement marking showing where the trenching will go under the fence and all the way to the back end of the 24 Hour Fitness now being built. #5. Picture taken over the fence where the trenching will likely head.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about all this!

Attachments

• IMG_2354_2.jpg
    IMG_2354_2.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_2355_2.jpg
    IMG_2355_2.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 819
  • IMG_2356_2.jpg
    IMG_2356_2.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 817
  • IMG_2357_2.jpg
    IMG_2357_2.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 817
  • IMG_2358_2.jpg
    IMG_2358_2.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 831
Gene, That was fabulous. Yes, they really do have a long way to go. This may hold the record for the longest trench. The wooden enclosure in Photo #1 I think would hold the tall dark grey Square-D Distribution Panels that will feed the five Tesla Superchargers, and smack in the middle of Photo #5 looks like the dark green Utility Distribution Transformer.
The staging area inside the 24Hour Fitness fencing looks pretty empty, I don't see why they could not get permission to pass and trench. We'll see I guess....

The two finished wooden enclosures with pads will hold the Superchargers that feed the ten charger monuments. The conduits are all in place and cement poured. The incomplete one is waiting for the trenching and conduit that comes from the Utility Power Distribution Transformer near 24hour Fitness. Can't pour the cement for that one yet.

I wonder what Gage wire is required to feed the 10-superchargers along that long distance?

See http://www.evpowers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/EV-Powers-Hybrid-Battery-Service-and-Repair-Tesla-Supercharger-Plans.pdf for the plans for Madison, WI. There Tesla called out 250 mcm wire (slightly larger than 4/0). 250 mcm copper wire has a resistance of 0.042 milliOhm per foot. Because that is out and back, it's a total of 0.083 milliOhm per foot round trip. The max that a "B" and beyond battery will take is 333 Amps. 333 Amps * 0.083 milliOhm/foot = 28 milliVolts per foot. Given that the battery on an 85 is charging from 360 to 400 Volts or so, it would take a lot of feet to make any difference; even 100 feet would only be 2.8 Volts drop.

My guess is that there is no reason to change from the 250 mcm copper wire.

rrosenb said:
I wonder what Gage wire is required to feed the 10-superchargers along that long distance?

See http://www.evpowers.com/wp-content/...rvice-and-Repair-Tesla-Supercharger-Plans.pdf for the plans for Madison, WI. There Tesla called out 250 mcm wire (slightly larger than 4/0). 250 mcm copper wire has a resistance of 0.042 milliOhm per foot. Because that is out and back, it's a total of 0.083 milliOhm per foot round trip. The max that a "B" and beyond battery will take is 333 Amps. 333 Amps * 0.083 milliOhm/foot = 28 milliVolts per foot. Given that the battery on an 85 is charging from 360 to 400 Volts or so, it would take a lot of feet to make any difference; even 100 feet would only be 2.8 Volts drop.

My guess is that there is no reason to change from the 250 mcm copper wire.
The long distance will be on the high voltage side of the 480V transformer, no?

BD is back working today. They told me the hold up was SCE. Tomorrow the chargers and the stations arrive. They still have to pour the slab for the switcher. They said that they will trench right through the 24 Hour Fitness construction site. 3 more weeks until finished.

I asked if they knew where in Los Angeles the next charger was going in, he had no idea. The man I was talking to said the next Supercharger he is working on is "somewhere north of San Francisco".

Last edited: