Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mountain View, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested to see if they go with the 250kW SuC here. We all recall that this was the original SuC to have the liquid cooled, thinner charging cables. They reverted back to the regular size cables after a few months. That was at least a couple of years ago.

This SC has shown reduced service for almost a week now. Does anyone know what's going on here? Are they expanding or upgrading, or is it just a bug? I haven't had time to visit yet.
I work nearby, so I drove by to take a look. There are two stalls coned off, presumably out of order. There were people charging and a couple open stalls at 1:15pm.

Haven’t been here in a while, checked it out the other day. Got super fluctuating charge rates on two pedestals (6B then 1A), but roadside was a 40min wait so I couldn’t troubleshoot whether it was my car or the site.

Paranoia led to me stopping by EPA today. Solid rate, at least for the couple minutes I was plugged in, so I assume the issue at MV was the site.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Blu Zap
It's not your car. I can verify that the 1A/1B pair is malfunctioning, as is the 3A/3B pair (which contains the handicapped stall). Add in the 6A/6B pair, which I haven't tried, and this means that half of the stalls at one of the busiest superchargers in the world are either coned off and half dead or worse, not coned off and half dead.

I've been complaining about this constantly broken supercharger for almost two years now. I think we've all been more than patient. It's time to fix this.

BTW, does anybody know where I can find four more orange cones? There are not nearly enough to block all the malfunctioning stalls.

It's not your car. I can verify that the 1A/1B pair is malfunctioning, as is the 3A/3B pair (which contains the handicapped stall). Add in the 6A/6B pair, which I haven't tried, and this means that half of the stalls at one of the busiest superchargers in the world are either coned off and half dead or worse, not coned off and half dead.

I've been complaining about this constantly broken supercharger for almost two years now. I think we've all been more than patient. It's time to fix this.

BTW, does anybody know where I can find four more orange cones? There are not nearly enough to block all the malfunctioning stalls.

Make that ten more safety cones. The 2A/2B pair are malfunctioning, which makes eight of twelve. The odds of there being a single fully working charger are pretty close to zero.

The charge speed is cycling between single-digit kW and at most 35 kW, averaging about 20 kW. It's like watching paint dry. I'm pretty sure I could charge the thing faster with a generator attached to the back tire of a bicycle. When I pulled in, I had a 20% charge. I am still five minutes from reaching 90%, and I have been charging for one hour and fifty minutes. I am ignoring the "40 minute limit" sign, which seems to have vanished, possibly set on fire by some previous person shortly after reaching the two-hour mark and still not being fully charged.

In all the time that I have been here, I've only seen about two or three cars that have left the charger, not counting folks who plugged in, spent three minutes, gave up, and left. Based on this, I'm reasonably certain that the entire station is unhealthy.

In other words, the Mountain View supercharger is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Nonfunctional. Caput. The whole bloody thing. Stick a fork in it. It's done.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
C8A8F875-FA6C-4F4A-8773-C481258EE743.png

As of tonight, the 5A/5B pair is also having significant issues. So that would be malfunctions on all of:

• 1A/1B,
  • 2A/2B,
  • 3A/3B,
  • 5A/5B, and
  • 6A/6B.

Anyone want to place bets on whether 4A/4B are working correctly? We have fifteen-thousand-to-one odds. Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen. Has Tesla abandoned this supercharger entirely, or is there one lucky pair that's healthy? We'll find out on Friday, when I get to spend another two hours charging, charging, charging! [redacted swearing]

I don’t think Tesla puts any effort into repairing existing SCs. They seem to be all about expanding and nothing about repairing. There’s more than a handful of stalls around the Bay Area that I know are out of order and have been out for up to a year+ now. I’ve seen people put down shopping carts to inform others. But, of course, those get picked up every so often by store employees.

I don’t think Tesla puts any effort into repairing existing SCs. They seem to be all about expanding and nothing about repairing. There’s more than a handful of stalls around the Bay Area that I know are out of order and have been out for up to a year+ now. I’ve seen people put down shopping carts to inform others. But, of course, those get picked up every so often by store employees.

I’ve seen cones in front of some stalls, e.g. the newer San Mateo SC at Brisgepointe.
Not sure why Mountain View is being neglected, especially being so close to the mothership, but others have been fixed over time.

If it's really this bad, you would be better off driving to Sunnyvale or East Palo Alto Superchargers.

Besides EPA being only a 72 kW charger (1.5 hours to full charge), it is also a 40-minute round trip (with traffic). Add it up, and that's still slower than even the broken MTV charger. And Sunnyvale always has a line of at least three or four cars waiting, even on days when MTV is empty. :(

Hopefully after tesla report quarterly they will resume repairs. They want to look good for investor. Yes I know the reports are delayed, but so are schedules for repairs. So it works out at the same time IMO. Also then the holidays are coming up and they usually try to fix problem chargers before the holiday rush. Again wishful thinking, but historically they have done so.

This is one sad little Supercharger.

2034326A-66A2-4EE7-8040-D4E6FC15F6AD.jpeg

Things are continuing to degrade. At this rate, it is only a matter of time before none of the stalls work at all. Most of them seem to be at barely half power as it is, and as you can see, at least a quarter of the stalls are marked as dead, yet for some reason it isn’t showing as “limited service”. Yikes.

Oh, and on the map, it says that there are only two stalls available. There are actually NINE available. Yeah, it’s time to put this thing out of its misery.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
I read an article not that long ago saying that supercharger electronics with high use were overheating and not getting a chance to cool down between charges and were failing. No idea where to look for the article but certainly Mt. View would likely fall into that category...or did. Anyone remember seeing this article?

I’m surprised this hasn’t been addressed having gone on for so long. If they are planning to go v3 on all of them I assume that will mean electrical permitting and who knows what...would new transformers and new PG&E calculations need to be done before equipment could go in? The Factory when they got v3 was down for a while with retrenching if I correctly recall.

I read an article not that long ago saying that supercharger electronics with high use were overheating and not getting a chance to cool down between charges and were failing. No idea where to look for the article but certainly Mt. View would likely fall into that category...or did. Anyone remember seeing this article?
I didn't see the article. But that is a conversation I had previously with the SuC valet they used to have on duty there. Yes, these SuCs would heat up and shut down. Several years ago they used this site as a test for liquid cooled charging cables. They were much thinner. But in time they reverted back to the thicker not liquid cooled cables. Looks like they need to rethink that, or move to more up to date tech.

No, but I'd place a sizable bet that it is true. The Sunnyvale V2 supercharger was already having lots of problems by the time it hit its first birthday. Here's hoping the V3 hardware is better designed.

To make matters worse, besides being one of the busiest superchargers, Mountain View is also one of the oldest, built way back in 2015 (somewhere around number 400), and started out as an experimental design with liquid-cooled power lines, which means they probably put in all sorts of other hacks when they converted it to a normal V2 supercharger a few years later. That no doubt contributes to its higher failure rate, and might also make it a more painful upgrade than average.

Either way, at this point, continuing to operate this supercharger likely creates so much ill will toward Tesla that they'd probably be better off shutting it down entirely and cutting their losses. It's that bad.

I'm just counting down the days until Scotts Valley opens, after which I won't darken the door at MTV unless it's an emergency. :)

I’m surprised this hasn’t been addressed having gone on for so long. If they are planning to go v3 on all of them I assume that will mean electrical permitting and who knows what...would new transformers and new PG&E calculations need to be done before equipment could go in? The Factory when they got v3 was down for a while with retrenching if I correctly recall.

Yeah, they'll need permitting, new transformers, new cabinets, probably a larger building to house the equipment... it won't be a small job. When it starts happening, we'll know it, and I'd give them only a 10% chance of doing it without multi-week downtime, even if they just reuse and supplement the existing conduit. If they have to tear everything out and start from scratch, we're talking probably half a year. :( Maybe they could just build a V3 station right next to it, and then tear down the old one?

The good news is that because it is such a total train wreck right now, it is getting a lot less use, so it might not be a total disaster if they had to shut it down for a while. But if it's half a year, that's still going to suck.

Unless, of course, that's what the apparent electrical trenching is in the Googleplex parking lot a couple of blocks away. Not likely, but hey, I can dream, can't I? :D