Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Parsippany, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New location under construction that will be much better for 287 travelers: Supercharger - Boonton, NJ

No one local has gone by yet. So, we don't know how many stalls or where exactly it is in the ACME parking lot. If anyone in the area has a bit of free time and could stop by to check things out and report back in the linked thread, that would be a big help. Thanks!

Tesla to open ‘Supercharger station’ in Parsippany

Meeting of the Township of Parsippany-Troy Hills Board of Adjustment, April 4, 2018
Application 18:05: Tesla, Inc., 350 New Road, Preliminary and Final Major Site Plan to install an electric charging station located at the Wawa site.
Agenda Link

Google Map Link

cc: @BlueShift

-Lanny

Is it worth adding the costs of supercharging to these threads? Tesla's website says 26c per min for speeds above 60kW, and I noticed I was charged 29c/min when I was here a week ago.

Is it worth adding the costs of supercharging to these threads? Tesla's website says 26c per min for speeds above 60kW, and I noticed I was charged 29c/min when I was here a week ago.
Tesla's website only lists the national AVERAGE for all locations that charge by the minute or by kWh. Some locations are more than this and some are less.

(Read the bullet points above the drop down menu on the supercharging webpage carefully to see that this is the case)

Reactions: Droschke
Tesla's website only lists the national AVERAGE for all locations that charge by the minute or by kWh. Some locations are more than this and some are less.

(Read the bullet points above the drop down menu on the supercharging webpage carefully to see that this is the case)

Thanks - i'm aware of that, hence why I asked if it would be beneficial to add the price to each of these individual supercharger pages so those who visit or potentially have choice between multiple superchargers may want to select one vs another.

Thanks - i'm aware of that, hence why I asked if it would be beneficial to add the price to each of these individual supercharger pages so those who visit or potentially have choice between multiple superchargers may want to select one vs another.
Does the price fluctuate based on demand or some other electric utility random criteria?

Heads up, this may be out of service for a bit.
BE5AC7FD-A6B6-4CD5-9258-A32FF902C8CE.jpeg

Curious to see what happened here. Hopefully it wasn’t a malfunction of the Supercharging equipment. If anyone needs a top off in the PARSIPPANY area, I have a Wall Charger at my home about 10 minutes away. Private message me if you need access.

The Supercharger in Boonton is also fairly close - about 7 miles away along the route 287 corridor.

Curious to see what happened here. Hopefully it wasn’t a malfunction of the Supercharging equipment. If anyone needs a top off in the PARSIPPANY area, I have a Wall Charger at my home about 10 minutes away. Private message me if you need access.

The Supercharger in Boonton is also fairly close - about 7 miles away along the route 287 corridor.
The Supercharger in Boonton is not open yet:
Supercharger - Boonton, NJ
Rockaway is the closest one - 13 miles away.

• Helpful
Reactions: TrevTremaine
The Supercharger in Boonton is not open yet:
Supercharger - Boonton, NJ
Rockaway is the closest one - 13 miles away.

My apologies. Just goes to show that a Supercharger close to home is among the least useful, at least for me. I see it there, but haven't actually stopped in - no need, when I can charge at home.

Maybe or maybe not.

It looks like an autotransformer to me.

Source: Tesla Supercharger station caught on fire while ~13 gas stations had fires : teslamotors

There were flames but nothing substantial coming out of the supercharger about five minutes after we noticed smoke. There were about a dozen firefighters standing immediately around it so I can't imagine it was too serious. I'll link a picture of the damage two hours after they put out the fire.

Edit: Supercharger Fire

AHWU1Ub.jpg

Maybe or maybe not.

It looks like an autotransformer to me.

If Fire Chief Palmieri says it wasn't a Tesla issue, it wasn't a Tesla issue. His word is good as gold. The Parsippany FD is an amazing volunteer department and I -- quite literally - trust Chief Palmieri and his crew with my family's lives.

Those are Auto Transformers that are typically supplied by Tesla. But the strange thing I see is two Auto Transformers that have signs of Fire coming out of them. What you don't see is the other two maybe behind them. Wonder if they are damaged also? Why would two Transformers fail in what appear to be the same manner? I'm willing to bet that the issue was the primary Transformer failed in some manner and sent over voltage to the auto Transformers. Maybe more will come out and the next few days.

Edit..

Looking at the picture more closely the tops are ripped off of the autotransformers. Probably by the fire dept to douse the units. And what do you see on the ground next to the rack, 3 tops. So I will further bet that all 4 autotransformer units were on fire. The 4th top is just not in the picture.

Last edited: