Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pasadena, CA - East Glenarm Street (LIVE 21 Oct 2021, 20 V3, 7 DCFC, 20 L2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So dark? It's in the middle of town with lights all over. Surely there's enough sky glow to read a book outside at night, let alone navigate a lit parking lot in a car with headlights.

Streetview has revealed interesting things:
  1. The parking lot lights are on during the day
  2. Non-Teslas also use the ADA/handicap charging stalls even when the regular CCS/CHAdeMO stations are vacant. Bad form all around. :( @BostonBurley

View attachment 843750
TALKING ABOUT NIGHTTIME, YOU ARE SHOWING DAYTIME

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
That’s an expensive solution lol
I agree that charge stations should have DOT clearance requirements beyond the ADA requirement for handicapped parking spaces. Until it’s enforced and the idiots are ticketed, it will continue.
People hitting their curbs at night are careless drivers. We have the highest population of careless drivers in America, centered in SGV.
don't make fun of SGV, how about just the city of Pasadena lol

So dark? It's in the middle of town with lights all over. Surely there's enough sky glow to read a book outside at night, let alone navigate a lit parking lot in a car with headlights.

Streetview has revealed interesting things:
  1. The parking lot lights are on during the day
  2. Non-Teslas also use the ADA/handicap charging stalls even when the regular CCS/CHAdeMO stations are vacant. Bad form all around. :( @BostonBurley

View attachment 843750
Charged there the other day and it is super dark in that lot, good thing i got there before it was busy. I see people qeueing up on along the 110 side but its hard to see the chargers that are availabe in front of that brown metal wall. As far as handicap, probably was full when they pulled in so they used the available handicap space, nothing wrong with that. That pic was snapped probably when the open spots just left.

You should’ve seen it before the Model 3 great equalizer came out. No one pissing on stalls. No one smoking blunts in the car while they charge. It’s sad, but it’s true. Lower the demographic, lower the standards.

Taking off my moderator hat for a moment, it's extremely troubling that you believe Model 3/Y owners are somehow worse people than Model S/X owners just because they drive cars that have a lower MSRP.

Bruce.

1. Non-Teslas also use the ADA/handicap charging stalls even when the regular CCS/CHAdeMO stations are vacant. Bad form all around. :(

View attachment 843750
Of note, there are 6 CCS stations in total here (4 on the right max out at 175kw and 2 on the left max out at 50kw). Some of them are frequently broken. It is likely that either the three unused ones in this pic were broken, or that the two cars on the left intentionally chose the 50kw stations to allow other cars to use the 175kw stations that can accept the faster charge rate (I believe those older leafs can only accept 50kw, not sure about the i3 so please correct me if I am wrong).

I might have missed it within the 15 pages of this thread, but is there an official, unofficial way to queue up to wait for a Supercharger stall to open here?

Understandably the 1) CCS stations hogged by Teslas, and 2) handicapped parking issues are the most glaring for many, but the main point of this thread is for the Superchargers at this location. If we used this thread to point out all the stupidity by EV owners (not just Tesla), it would be 50 pages. Perhaps that’s a low estimate.

Of note, there are 6 CCS stations in total here (4 on the right max out at 175kw and 2 on the left max out at 50kw). Some of them are frequently broken. It is likely that either the three unused ones in this pic were broken, or that the two cars on the left intentionally chose the 50kw stations to allow other cars to use the 175kw stations that can accept the faster charge rate (I believe those older leafs can only accept 50kw, not sure about the i3 so please correct me if I am wrong).

Of course. The primary point of my post was to illustrate that this issue of people violating the handicapped parking rules isn't limited to Tesla owners, as more than a couple posts in this thread would lead us to believe. Personally, I'd like to see those signs get changed to say, "Designed for Disabled Access - Use Last," as we see in most other Supercharger installations.

I might have missed it within the 15 pages of this thread, but is there an official, unofficial way to queue up to wait for a Supercharger stall to open here?

Understandably the 1) CCS stations hogged by Teslas, and 2) handicapped parking issues are the most glaring for many, but the main point of this thread is for the Superchargers at this location. If we used this thread to point out all the stupidity by EV owners (not just Tesla), it would be 50 pages. Perhaps that’s a low estimate.

Good question. The parking lot design doesn't really lend itself to a good queue.

Reactions: bmah and Limited
Taking off my moderator hat for a moment, it's extremely troubling that you believe Model 3/Y owners are somehow worse people than Model S/X owners just because they drive cars that have a lower MSRP.

Bruce.
that's true because I roll up my blunts while charging in my MX then I smoke far away in the darkness yet people can still smell it

Charged there the other day and it is super dark in that lot, good thing i got there before it was busy. I see people qeueing up on along the 110 side but its hard to see the chargers that are availabe in front of that brown metal wall. As far as handicap, probably was full when they pulled in so they used the available handicap space, nothing wrong with that. That pic was snapped probably when the open spots just left.
I was talking about nighttime, too. I posted the Streetview pic because I thought it was funny that the lights were on during the day. :p
take a picture during night time charging and see how dark it is there :p

Of course. The primary point of my post was to illustrate that this issue of people violating the handicapped parking rules isn't limited to Tesla owners, as more than a couple posts in this thread would lead us to believe. Personally, I'd like to see those signs get changed to say, "Designed for Disabled Access - Use Last," as we see in most other Supercharger installations.

Good question. The parking lot design doesn't really lend itself to a good queue.
Agreed with the "Designed for Disabled Access - Use Last," I have see that at a few locations and I always treat handicap EV spaces as such.

From what i saw the issue with the queue along the 110 side is you cant see the whole lot, and the people coming in can’t see the queue along the 110 and end up snaking the spot on the first row. so yeah no good way to queue up.

Best to come 10 min early before the price change and get an open spot, once 10pm hit it was crazy or grab a free CCS spot for free juice

Reactions: BostonBurley
take a picture during night time charging and see how dark it is there :p
It’s extremely dark at night, I’ve had my soon ride his bike around the back island and the occasional idiots will drive super fast back there, or come back there and smoke weed while I’m clearly hanging with my little kid back there. Idiots in Tesla’s.
that's true because I roll up my blunts while charging in my MX then I smoke far away in the darkness yet people can still smell it
If you’ll brag about being an intoxicated driver, and smoking out back there, well. Hey, how do I add “big” to my screen name so I can fit in?

As far as handicap, probably was full when they pulled in so they used the available handicap space, nothing wrong with that. That pic was snapped probably when the open spots just left.
I’ve posted about this many times with images and even videos you can view. Since this location opened; the handicap space usage has been such that it’s a preferred spot; if five-10 spaces are open, one will be in one of those spaces. No need to create an alternative narrative (quoted above). On that note, “Probably” is not an applicable adverb for something one couldn’t possibly know, such as when a photo was shot or what the circumstances were. “Possibly”, sure, but there’s a difference between something that’s merely plausible and something so likely that it’s probable.
The next time I charge I’ll get some footage that satisfies.

I’ve posted about this many times with images and even videos you can view. Since this location opened; the handicap space usage has been such that it’s a preferred spot; if five-10 spaces are open, one will be in one of those spaces. No need to create an alternative narrative (quoted above). On that note, “Probably” is not an applicable adverb for something one couldn’t possibly know, such as when a photo was shot or what the circumstances were. “Possibly”, sure, but there’s a difference between something that’s merely plausible and something so likely that it’s probable.
The next time I charge I’ll get some footage that satisfies.
I guess some people really like gambling to see if they can get a $250 ticket for charging there like the sign says.

Was there earlier, charging at a 175kw stall. One stall was down. Other two 175s were green.

A Leaf came in to charge at a 175 stall, but the station would not charge his car (Chademo). I swapped with him because I knew my stall was working (albeit with CCS). I plugged into his stall, no problem. He plugged into mine, no joy. His Leaf could not charge on any 175 stall. It wasn’t until he connected to the 50kw station that he could get electricity.

Has anyone else come across this? Odd charging station behavior.

FWIW, I thought I would get to see a naturally occurring queue when all the Tesla stalls were full and a Tesla pulled in. But one left just as the new customer was rolling in.

Charged for a bit this morning. I noticed there was free City Wi-Fi so the car was downloading the latest navigation data while I was hanging out. I thought I might have some good news to report about the 4 Tritium chargers, as they were all showing green. A car was charging at one of them and it was showing blue. When he unplugged and pulled out it changed to red :p There is a note on all the chargers stating something to the effect that you need to stop the charging session from the charger, not the car. Good luck with getting people to do that. No wonder these guys are so unreliable. Lesson #2,877 on why Tesla is the only company that knows how to build and maintain EV chargers.

RT

Last edited:
Charged for a bit this morning. I noticed there was free City Wi-Fi so the car was downloading the latest navigation data while I was hanging out. I thought I might have some good news to report about the 4 Tritium chargers, as they were all showing green. A car was charging at one of them and it was showing blue. When he unplugged and pulled out it changed to red :p There is a note on all the chargers stating something to the effect that you need to stop the charging session from the charger, not the car. Good luck with getting people to do that. No wonder these guys are so unreliable. Lesson #2,877 on why Tesla is the only company that knows how to build and maintain EV chargers.

RT
Unfortunately E-Tron shut down the charge from the car automatically when it’s done and shuts down the station.
Tritium chargers at not the best ones out there.
After one month in Europe I can say that the US CCS chargers are far behind.

Does anyone know why on the app and in the car it says this supercharger is unavail?

Attachments

• CCE1CAA3-05EA-4B1D-86A2-D91F37AABAE1.jpeg
    CCE1CAA3-05EA-4B1D-86A2-D91F37AABAE1.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 65