Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Prattville, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tested today. Crew is gone. They look fully installed, but not functioning. Probably just waiting for someone to flip a switch. These V4 outlets.... the very tip of the NACS plug looks kinda weird. Not used to it.
The V4s are equipped with the 1000v version of the NACS connector so the handle is slightly bigger and has a larger “drop off” from the handle to the actual connector which gets interred into the car. This might make no sense but it’s the best I could do with words.

Reactions: theothertom
These V4 outlets.... the very tip of the NACS plug looks kinda weird. Not used to it.

Can you (or anyone) post a picture, including of the tip / face? The new NACS standard does tweak it a little to support 1000V operation. I fully expect these plugs to support 1000V, even if the power conversion cabinets can't quite yet.

Imagery here shows the two slightly different plugs:
https://tesla-cdn.thron.com/static/...Technical_Specification_TS-0023666_HFTPKZ.pdf (page 18)

JP350 described the tapering of the new plug, and you can see it (barely) in the PDF above, starting on page 13. My guess is that the larger plug body is needed for more aggressive cooling, i.e. cooling loops farther into the plug body. But I'm sure this is discussed to death in a dedicated NACS thread somewhere else here on TMC :)

I went by there today and it is definitely a more hefty plug. Did not take a picture of the tip but the cord is much heavier. Still have the plastic condoms on these and they are not activated.

Attachments

• IMG_2978.jpeg
    IMG_2978.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2977.jpeg
    IMG_2977.jpeg
    654.6 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Big Earl
Definitely working, but not in my Tesla maps yet. Met some nice people there from Bham. You know who you are. :) Be careful backing up. You need a good and entire foot of distance between the pedestal and your charging port because the handle is pretty chunky. You won't be able to insert if you're any closer than that.

Reactions: BamaRed
As for the latter, I'll step out on a limb and say 100% no :) No way would Tesla make this location the first place in the country (world?) where they'd deploy V4 cabinets. I'd expect it to be in California or upstate New York (home to supercharger build factory), just like they did the first Magic Dock deployments, so that they can test themselves (in the field) and get to them quickly if needed.

The Plugshare listing has an interesting photo from a couple days ago, with the tiny display on the pedestal showing an error screen.

Attachments

• 1338117.jpg
    1338117.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Guacahummus
As for the latter, I'll step out on a limb and say 100% no :) No way would Tesla make this location the first place in the country (world?) where they'd deploy V4 cabinets. I'd expect it to be in California or upstate New York (home to supercharger build factory), just like they did the first Magic Dock deployments, so that they can test themselves (in the field) and get to them quickly if needed.

The Plugshare listing has an interesting photo from a couple days ago, with the tiny display on the pedestal showing an error screen.
What a buzzkill! 😀

Thanks. It's now showing a wait, which can't possibly be right. Must be a software issue as you suggest.