Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Raymond Terrace, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

moa999

2020 3 SR+ MSM
Mar 4, 2020
Sydney, AUS
Another under construction site.

Terrace Central,
Glenelg Street/ Sturgeon Street
Raymond Terrace

Appears to be around 12 stalls.
Likely a relocation for the Lakeside Tavern, Raymond Terrace site which was funded under Rd 1 of the NSW grants (listed as 15 stalls)
(And I'll count it as that in the Wiki).
There is also another Heatherbrae site funded in Rd 2 (listed as 10 stalls)

Welcome supplement to the Heatherbrae site a few km away which was probably the busiest site over Xmas (as it's 6 stalls). Had queues and Tesla employed traffic control staff.

Terrace Central is about 1.5km off the main freeway and is a small Woolworths anchored mall, but looks to have a reasonable food court and another set of restaurants not far away.

FB_IMG_1709524690658.jpg

Spotted by Les P on a private FB group - Hunter EV peeps.

Last edited:
Another under construction site.

Terrace Central,
Glenelg Street/ Sturgeon Street
Raymond Terrace

Appears to be around 12 stalls.
Likely a relocation for the Lakeside Tavern, Raymond Terrace site which was funded under Rd 1 of the NSW grants
(And I'll count it as that in the Wiki).
There is also another Heatherbrae site funded in Rd 2.

Welcome supplement to the Heatherbrae site a few km away which was probably the busiest site over Xmas.

View attachment 1024365

Spotted by Les P on a private FB group - Hunter EV peeps.
None in Newy and 2 lots in Raymo. 😩

Reactions: AusMar and PStewart
Oddly enough it (green marker below) is probably just as close to the "Heatherbrae - Masonite Rd" site from the 2nd round of NSW grants. In theory I guess this could be either (blue markers below).

1709525576692.png

However, so far as supercharge.info goes, I'll do the same as @moa999 and count it as the first one.

Reactions: moa999
Oddly enough it (green marker below) is probably just as close to the "Heatherbrae - Masonite Rd" site from the 2nd round of NSW grants. In theory I guess this could be either (blue markers below).

View attachment 1024377

However, so far as supercharge.info goes, I'll do the same as @moa999 and count it as the first one.

Hopefully its just one of 2 new sites, 12 stalls doesn't sounds like many to me.

Bear in mind folks, within the next 3 years or so, *all* of these sites (the existing Heatherbrae site, the new site at Raymond Terrace, and both of the sites as "Permit" shown on Chuq's map above are going to require an off-the-freeway diversion to reach: Construction notifications map | M1 Raymond Terrace | Transport for NSW

You can see the route that is under construction in the dotted red pair of lines coming up from the bottom middle of the map above.

• Informative
Reactions: moa999 and Jules22
The traffic along the current stretch of highway should be significantly reduced once the M1 extension is complete though

Off-topic, but it’s been amusing the number of times various politicians have announced the completion of the Pacific Highway upgrade to dual-carriageway from Sydney to the QLD border.

It’s like when the old F3 from Hornsby to Newcastle (now M1) was declared completed in 1989 even though there was still a 4 km section of the old highway used at Ourimbah with, would you believe, a roundabout in it 🙄 (and which wasn’t bypassed until 1997!).

The most recent time “mission accomplished” was declared was after the Woolgoolga to Ballina dual carriageway section was completed in 2020. But in reality, the Pacific Highway will not be a dual carriageway all the way to the QLD border until the Coffs Harbour bypass is completed in 2027 and then, finally, the M1 extension from Black Hill to Heatherbrae is completed in 2028.

Then we can have another pollie declare yet again the job is finished - but at least it will be for real this time. It will have taken 63 years from 1965 to 2028 to complete the job.

Last edited:
Terrace Central is about 1.5km off the main freeway and is a small Woolworths anchored mall, but looks to have a reasonable food court and another set of restaurants not far away.

The Lakeside Tavern site looked like it was a pretty good one… this one is possibly better in terms of amenity but a slightly further deviation off the motorway?

Regardless, more fast charging is critical on this route, compared to the Hume now the Pacific Highway is significantly underserved.

require an off-the-freeway diversion to reach:
I don't think it's will be a significant diversion.
It will be north of Hexham and traffic will be better flowing in any case. The M1 extension timeline is like Elon's timeline - very rubbery

Tesla has to build superchargers near amenities. It is not able to significantly leverage the highway locations that legacy service stations can.

Also it is like Yass, Albury etc

Reactions: Hairyman
Tesla has to build superchargers near amenities. It is not able to significantly leverage the highway locations that legacy service stations can.
Yet, building DCFC's at the existing motorway service stations is what is required (long-term) for the best BEV motorway driving experience. These service stations already have amenities - often 24hr, and are gradually getting involved in installing DCFC's - just not Tesla ones (with one possible exception - can't remember which one, but I seem to remember vaguely one petroleum mob doing a deal with Tesla to provide Superchargers, not sure if it will include Australia though).

If all you want to do is cop a quick charge and keep driving, diversions off the motorway are annoying, and add more fuel to the fiery argument that "EV's can't travel long distance".

Yet, building DCFC's at the existing motorway service stations is what is required (long-term) for the best BEV motorway driving experience. These service stations already have amenities - often 24hr, and are gradually getting involved in installing DCFC's - just not Tesla ones (with one possible exception - can't remember which one, but I seem to remember vaguely one petroleum mob doing a deal with Tesla to provide Superchargers, not sure if it will include Australia though).
BP purchased $100m of charging equipment from Tesla: https://www.bp.com/en_us/united-sta...ollar-order-of-tesla-ultra-fast-chargers.html

Does not appear to include Australia at this stage - but you'd have to think given the reliability of Tesla charging equipment, that these sorts of arrangements will be more prevalent going forward.

If all you want to do is cop a quick charge and keep driving, diversions off the motorway are annoying, and add more fuel to the fiery argument that "EV's can't travel long distance".

Not sure how that logic follows…

I don’t mind the off-highway diversions if they are basically “on the way” to your destination and don’t add much distance, particularly if it means you have a much wider choice of amenity. I think diverting to Karuah (Pacific Hwy) and Yass (Hume Hwy) to charge, for example, are fine.

Destinations which require back-tracking though are not great.

Yet, building DCFC's at the existing motorway service stations is what is required
Currently Tesla has the superior charging infrastructure but the service stations have the locations/amenities. There is little detail about the BP(USA)-TeslaEnergy tie up apart from the announcement that TeslaEnergy is selling the hardware effectively changing its business model of owning and operate. I wonder if there will be any revenue sharing as well.

Off highway options can actually be beneficial and a better experience . One of the reasons why I regularly stop off in Goulburn/Yass/Jugiong when travelling to Wagga.

Raymond Terrace?. Hardly a diversion even with the proposed M1 extension

Two cabinets side by side in that rear picture, but possibly a third in front from the side on pics?
And the fencing goes to the next row where you can see more orange pipes.

So maybe more digging to come.
Just hope it's open before Easter.

Two cabinets side by side in that rear picture, but possibly a third in front from the side on pics?
And the fencing goes to the next row where you can see more orange pipes.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about that other pipes next to the other two cabinets, it appeared to be a bit offset from the cabinets so possibly for something else?

I only just noticed the other orange pipes under the shade cloth, that could just be for storage/staging materials though?

Off-topic, but it’s been amusing the number of times various politicians have announced the completion of the Pacific Highway upgrade to dual-carriageway from Sydney to the QLD border.

It’s like when the old F3 from Hornsby to Newcastle (now M1) was declared completed in 1989 even though there was still a 4 km section of the old highway used at Ourimbah with, would you believe, a roundabout in it 🙄 (and which wasn’t bypassed until 1997!).

The most recent time “mission accomplished” was declared was after the Woolgoolga to Ballina dual carriageway section was completed in 2020. But in reality, the Pacific Highway will not be a dual carriageway all the way to the QLD border until the Coffs Harbour bypass is completed in 2027 and then, finally, the M1 extension from Black Hill to Heatherbrae is completed in 2028.

Then we can have another pollie declare yet again the job is finished - but at least it will be for real this time. It will have taken 63 years from 1965 to 2028 to complete the job.
My brother in law works for RMS and apparently the pollies commitment was dual lane from Sydney to QLD border. And the road through Coffs is actually dual lane all the way through all those roundabouts and traffic lights. Hence the Coffs bypass was never included in the list of road upgrades when they were doing all those sections of the Pacific Highway. Hence they technically could say it was "complete". Ridiculous really. Real life Utopia. Haha

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok and Jules22
Off highway options can actually be beneficial and a better experience . One of the reasons why I regularly stop off in Goulburn/Yass/Jugiong when travelling to Wagga.
They can be, but not always. I did Yass and Goulburn on a recent trip just to check them out, but unless I was after a sit down meal and was passing through at a time of day/night where that was actually an option, I’d prefer a highway service station with charging (or other on-highway location with takeaway such as Heatherbrae’s pies/Gundagai dog on tuckerbox.