Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Raymond Terrace, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you've never designed or quoted an 11kV feeder run, above or underground then how would you know just how expensive that is?
I think you are arguing in favour of my point rather than against it.

Anyway, the last time I saw a quote for 1km of 11kV it was $50K for a straight forward extension of the feeder run to a new farmland build in NSW - but that was 20 years ago. I'm sure it's at least 4x that now.

My point was that if you want to build a highway service station amongst farmland within a few km of an 11kV feeder than runs between farms, you may be able to tap into it for a reasonable price. But if you later want to add a large DCFC development to that service station, chances are the 11kV feeder won't have the capacity and it will need to be upgraded e.g. to 33kV, possibly for many km, which is gonna cost a lot more.

Yes, every site will be different. Euroa (Chargefox) Hume Highway Shell is a great case-study: they were able to upgrade their transformer to 500kVA to install 2x350kW and 2x50kW DCFC. However the 500kVA wasn't enough to run the chargers and the servo/multiple food outlets, but was presumably as large as they could get with the existing supply lines, so they had to install a 200kWh battery to help with the charging peaks. Presumably installing the battery was cheaper than upgrading the supply lines - and this site is just outside of town (2km from the Tesla Supercharger as the crow flies). This install allegedly cost $2M (including 100kW of solar) of which $1M was subsidised.

However, there will inevitably come a time when the 4 stalls here plus the 6 stall V1 Supercharger aren't cutting it - Euroa being about 2 hours' drive from Melbourne makes it a desirable charging stop - and charging is already getting congested on holiday peaks (and snow season). It may be cheaper for Tesla to install more stalls in town than for Shell to bite the bullet and upgrade their rural feed.

Reactions: johnchidgey
chances are
"Chances are" based on what?. A hunch?
N=1 is hardly robust enough to support a generalisation.

N=1 in the other direction, could be Sally's corner where a strategic highway position that's been there for many years now see DCFC on both sides of the highway.

There will be sites where power won't be enough but there will also be sites where power is available. I don't think we can generalise to the extent that Teslas are only building SC in town because there is more available power in town. The reasons will be multi factorial. Power availability, amenities and land owner's agreement, location and LGA approval are 5 big ones.

For a brownfield highway stop, if the incumbents are planning their own DCFC network, then that location will now be available to Tesla.

chances are the 11kV feeder won't have the capacity and it will need to be upgraded e.g. to 33kV, possibly for many km, which is gonna cost a lot more
A minor nitpick, but they wouldn't generally be looking at increasing the voltage of the feeder - they'd likely be re-conductoring it to handle higher power. An 11kV feeder can supply tens of MVA if you need it to.

I drove past this site today. Sorry no pictures guys were working and a bit camera shy. The V4 chargers were being lifted into a few positions. This site also has 3 solar panel covers covering the stalls. Lots of activity about 8am today with cabinets open cables being run. Will take pictures next time I drop past.

I drove past this site today. Sorry no pictures guys were working and a bit camera shy. The V4 chargers were being lifted into a few positions. This site also has 3 solar panel covers covering the stalls. Lots of activity about 8am today with cabinets open cables being run. Will take pictures next time I drop past.
Did you see how many stalls?

Last edited:
Even the real estate agents are spruiking it.

1000001519.png

17? Has anyone done a head count of the charger pedestals?