Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Carlos, CA (LIVE 30 Jun 2018, 19 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did charge here @ San Carlos last week, and was pleasantly surprised with how fast it is. The average miles per hour at the end of the session was higher than we typically get in a similar session in Hillsdale or Foster city. I think if you are from an area where Superchargers are typically half full or less, these urban chargers would be slower for you. In our area, chargers are nearly full, or there is a wait. That means when you first start charging, you often get 30-40 kW until the car next to you gets closer to a full charge. There are times when the car next to you is almost done and you can get 100 kW right away, but that situation is less likely. So, I'd say, overall, a dedicated 72 kW feed is usually a faster charge in urban areas than 120 kW shared.
Thought the San Carlos would be live by now, but I did notice this weekend as I was motoring around town that the San Carlos supercharger was not even appearing on the map, but the East Palo Alto one is there all the time now.

• Informative
Reactions: Macbest
Still not appearing on the in-car Nav but I did stop by here last week to check it out and it was live and charging at 72 kW.

Today I actually needed a charge, but as DOCAL mentioned above, the power was off (tried a couple of stalls) and construction equipment was onsite (though no one in sight working mid-day on a Monday..)

5187DF41-B08C-485F-8978-EE4B1BB67661.jpeg

Looks like the San Carlos SC is officially on the map!
Yes, I stopped by yesterday there instead of the one in San Mateo. At the time, the map said 18 of 19 available. when I got there five minutes later there was indeed one other car charging.

I will say, I tried to charge at a couple ports closer to the food court side and middle (mostly for shade since I was going into Best Buy) and I couldn't get past the blue interfacing phase. The guy with the other Tesla (S) commented that "yeah, the ones at that end aren't all online yet, they will be next week". so, I moved closer to his car (had originally tried to be farther away for charging reasons) and all worked. I think I hit about 300m/hr charging. In 20 minutes I added 105 miles to my M3.

What was odd and appreciated was that the "last charge" info at the bottom of the charging screen actually reflected THAT actual charge at San Carlos and the total bill. Now, the charge to my CC and that amount were off by about .35$. Maybe the in car amount doesn't reflect the last few drops that are in the hose or it's an up charge to cover CC costs?

Anyway, with the sheer VOLUME of model 3 I now see around the peninsular this location is going to see some usage for sure. I wish we had some google data (like there are with restaurants and such) that will show peak and low use times. Frankly, I'd really like TESLA to offer this data to us. It would serve them well.

Charged here this afternoon for my 36th Supercharger visited. It was about 1/2 to 2/3 full today...I found it surprising that the original San Mateo Supercharger was packed full (according to the nav display anyway) when just a few miles away were a ton of open stalls.

A cautionary tale: It's easy to back into the stalls but I saw a guy in a Model X almost get rear-ended by a tail-gating ICE driver while he was trying to line up. :eek:

Bruce.

A cautionary tale: It's easy to back into the stalls but I saw a guy in a Model X almost get rear-ended by a tail-gating ICE driver while he was trying to line up. :eek:

Bruce.

yes, as I noted several posts ago my concern was/is that during high traffic times for this parking area many people use the 'lane' that is directly in front of the sc stalls as a race track to bypass the parking lot and race to the unknown exit behind the chipotle. And, I think they are not prepared for vehicles to be in that lane backing into the stalls.

yes, as I noted several posts ago my concern was/is that during high traffic times for this parking area many people use the 'lane' that is directly in front of the sc stalls as a race track to bypass the parking lot and race to the unknown exit behind the chipotle. And, I think they are not prepared for vehicles to be in that lane backing into the stalls.
Notice to Tesla drivers: slow down slowly and honk loudly at fast approaching traffic cutters.