Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I’ve got a 2+ years old P90D Model X and can that car suck electrons! Twice now, on busy days just running around San Diego, I’ve been glad that I have a HPWC to recharge at 72 amps since I’ve had to recharge late afternoon just to get through the rest of the day of local driving. I bomb around at 80-85 too if I’m in a hurry, and set the AP at 80 if I’m not :)
Good for you ! what's the point of having a fast performance car if you don't drive it that way :)

In San Diego, there are many new Supercharger options coming soon. Carlsbad looks close enough for I-5 drivers to charge up on their way into the city, drive around and then stop in on their way out of town.

In addition to the one in Temecula, there is a new 20+ stall Supercharger just opened at the Lake Elsinore Outlet mall on I-15. Restaurants and shops at both these places to spend pleasant time while grabbing some electrons.

I am sure that every parking garage will set their own fees. I went to one that asked I show my Tesla Fob on the way out, for no charge charging. Over time, these facilities may change their policies, and customers will adapt their charging habits.

Part of these decisions will depend on us being good visitors. Don't litter the spots, please patronize the businesses, and be generallly good for the sites. They will welcome us back.

Tesla owners are pretty good at evaluating all their options and choosing the one that best fits their time and money budgets.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
In San Diego, there are many new Supercharger options coming soon. Carlsbad looks close enough for I-5 drivers to charge up on their way into the city, drive around and then stop in on their way out of town.

In addition to the one in Temecula, there is a new 20+ stall Supercharger just opened at the Lake Elsinore Outlet mall on I-15. Restaurants and shops at both these places to spend pleasant time while grabbing some electrons.

I am sure that every parking garage will set their own fees. I went to one that asked I show my Tesla Fob on the way out, for no charge charging. Over time, these facilities may change their policies, and customers will adapt their charging habits.

Part of these decisions will depend on us being good visitors. Don't litter the spots, please patronize the businesses, and be generallly good for the sites. They will welcome us back.

Tesla owners are pretty good at evaluating all their options and choosing the one that best fits their time and money budgets.

Only thing I would argue is the "coming soon" part. San Clement was 4 months from permit to opening. Permits here are pretty long in the tooth.

Reactions: twonius
Only thing I would argue is the "coming soon" part. San Clement was 4 months from permit to opening. Permits here are pretty long in the tooth.
If you click on "chart" in supercharge.info you can see the oldest one in CA (excluding Carlsbad, which i think they abandoned) Is Laytonville at 127 days.

After that it could be another 4 months just to build the thing, so don't count on seeing this location until late Summer, at the earliest I'd guess.

Understandably It looks like I15 to vegas, North LA and San Jose area are getting most of the attention now. Hopefully they don't forget about us once those chargers are done.

It is getting a bit ridiculous. Teslas are everywhere here and we have 12 stalls for the whole city, Meanwhile Chicago has 3 Superchargers within a mile of each other. and we only have 2 more stalls than Lansing Michigan where you can't even buy a Tesla.

Last edited:
If you click on "chart" in supercharge.info you can see the oldest one in CA (excluding Carlsbad, which i think they abandoned) Is Laytonville at 127 days.

After that it could be another 4 months just to build the thing, so don't count on seeing this location until late Summer, at the earliest I'd guess.

Understandably It looks like I15 to vegas, North LA and San Jose area are getting most of the attention now. Hopefully they don't forget about us once those chargers are done.

It is getting a bit ridiculous. Teslas are everywhere here and we have 12 stalls for the whole city, Meanwhile Chicago has 3 Superchargers within a mile of each other. and we only have 2 more stalls than Lansing Michigan where you can't even buy a Tesla.

Agree.. which begs the question..are Carlsbad and San Diego throwing up roadblocks during the permit process or is Tesla complicit in not pushing faster to get these done? San Diego seems to be a pretty large market for existing Teslas, not to mention the inconvenience for those traveling here.

Agree.. which begs the question..are Carlsbad and San Diego throwing up roadblocks during the permit process or is Tesla complicit in not pushing faster to get these done? San Diego seems to be a pretty large market for existing Teslas, not to mention the inconvenience for those traveling here.

My guess is Tesla has runs really lean and is tackling the more acute areas like the Bay and LA first where there are probably even more cars per stall in some areas, and people transit through LA as well.

SD is kind of the end of the road until we see more buildout into Mexico.

I don't see why the city would throw up roadblocks. Maybe the utility is being a pain but I'm just speculating

It would be nice to see just a bunch of destination chargers put up instead. Frankly installing more of those at shopping centers would be preferable to an urban supercharger.

Why SDG&E isn't rolling out L2 chargers massively is baffling to me. EVs are the best thing to happen to them since air conditioning. Especially with overall electricity demand falling

Last edited:
2 or 3 times per week I will head to my office near University Town Center and stop by the Qualcomm Supercharger for an hour to charge, read emails and make busines calls to the east coast. At 5 am, the Supercharger has been mostly available, but its starting to get full as early as 6am these days.... and continues to stack up with lines 5-8 cars deep routinely until midnight. Being frustrated with only 1 Supercharger in the 7th largest city in the US has been the norm.... its really starting to make me and others really mad... How about it Tesla? Lets get downtown SD and Chula Vista sites up and running sooner than later.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
2 or 3 times per week I will head to my office near University Town Center and stop by the Qualcomm Supercharger for an hour to charge, read emails and make busines calls to the east coast. At 5 am, the Supercharger has been mostly available, but its starting to get full as early as 6am these days.... and continues to stack up with lines 5-8 cars deep routinely until midnight. Being frustrated with only 1 Supercharger in the 7th largest city in the US has been the norm.... its really starting to make me and others really mad... How about it Tesla? Lets get downtown SD and Chula Vista sites up and running sooner than later.
Agree .. but good luck. I voiced my concerns to the sales people at UTC... crickets. People still buying so I guess they don't care. Wonder if a mass mailing to Elon would have any results or explanations?

How long is your commute?

Reactions: Maaz
My guess is Tesla has runs really lean and is tackling the more acute areas like the Bay and LA first where there are probably even more cars per stall in some areas, and people transit through LA as well.

SD is kind of the end of the road until we see more buildout into Mexico.

I don't see why the city would throw up roadblocks. Maybe the utility is being a pain but I'm just speculating

It would be nice to see just a bunch of destination chargers put up instead. Frankly installing more of those at shopping centers would be preferable to an urban supercharger.

Why SDG&E isn't rolling out L2 chargers massively is baffling to me. EVs are the best thing to happen to them since air conditioning. Especially with overall electricity demand falling

SDG&E cannot "roll out L2" chargers massively" without getting permission from the California Public Utilities Commission on a project by project basis. Several projects have been submitted and some approval has been received. Google SDG&E's Power Your Drive program, for example...

I was talking to one of the Teslaloop drivers last night at the QCOM charger. I can't confirm his claim but he said that SD Downtown locations permit has expired. He said same is true for the Carlsbad location near the 5 and the 76. Does anyone know how to check if this is true?

SDG&E cannot "roll out L2" chargers massively" without getting permission from the California Public Utilities Commission on a project by project basis. Several projects have been submitted and some approval has been received. Google SDG&E's Power Your Drive program, for example...

As we veer completely off topic.

They really seem to be on top of this - top 2 google results are broken links
https://www.sdge.com/clean-energy/electric-vehicles/power-your-drive-charging-station

What I did find on their website basically redirects you to plugshare or US DOE to find a plug

I'm just saying, why can't they get approval for public charging posts like you find in Oslo or many other cities?

4AB6267D-6F57-467E-9476-3F01B809DEDD.jpeg