Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I’m charging at the new San Diego Supercharger! So excited! Here are so photos that may help answer questions. Let the charging begin!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 107
... also I asked a few retailers that have stores at the perimeter of the garage if they validate parking and they said “no”. I’m eating at one of the garage retailers now.

Hopefully the retailers will get creative to attract our business. I’ve been at out of state superchargers where an A Frame sign promoted a free hot drink at a cafe if you showed your Tesla Fob.

• Love
Reactions: simhapriya
it’s only $5 unlimited time after 5pm.

While helpful, that still makes this SC the most expensive in North America for Model 3 owners.

Put another way, non-garaged San Diegan Model 3 owners now pay more than anyone else on the continent for urban SCing.

$5.00 + (x * $0.26/kW)

My last charge added 66kW which would have cost about $17. Which would mean a total of $22 per the above. For 115 miles driven via a series of shorter mostly urban trips. That’s less than 20mpg equivalent. Quite the range penalty for that sort of non-highway point to point driving.

The Model 3 motor is more efficient but not that much more efficient.

Parking surcharges that in particular penalize the non-garaged locals (who have carte blanche to use SCs and have since very early on) are not a value add. Remember - you can’t tell the difference between the garaged and the non-garaged by looking at them.

Not a fan of the “well, the Model 3 costs less so it’s ok to pay extra for parking” excuse either.

Not a fan at all.

While helpful, that still makes this SC the most expensive in North America for Model 3 owners.

Put another way, non-garaged San Diegan Model 3 owners now pay more than anyone else on the continent for urban SCing.

$5.00 + (x * $0.26/kW)

My last charge added 66kW which would have cost about $17. Which would mean a total of $22 per the above. For 115 miles driven via a series of shorter mostly urban trips. That’s less than 20mpg equivalent. Quite the range penalty for that sort of non-highway point to point driving.

Parking surcharges that in particular penalize the non-garaged locals (who have carte blanche to use SCs and have since very early on) are not a value add. Remember - you can’t tell the difference between the garaged and the non-garaged by looking at them.

Not a fan of the “well, the Model 3 costs less so it’s ok to pay extra for parking” excuse either.

Not a fan at all.
Maybe it's expensive, but for travelers the high cost should make the site more accessible.

Reactions: dmdrums

$5.00 + (x * $0.26/kW)

Not a fan at all.
Brooklyn, Boston, Manhattan, and Chicago all offer urban supercharging that comes with paid parking that's more expensive than SD. The places that refund parking fees are smaller places like Savannah, GA and Colorado Springs. If paid supercharging is such a bitter pill, why didn't you look at a used S?

Not true. Prudential Tower in Boston. That's one I can think of off the top of my head, but I think there are others. NYC has at least one.

Absolutely true. Neither of those locations charge $0.26 per *on top of* a parking fee. Or vice versa if you prefer.

Last I looked at Tesla’s increased SC pricing, only Maine was particularly close to California, and I highly doubt there are going to be SC parking garage fees in Maine anytime soon.

Tangentially, there’s a truck stop in Maine on the way to Bar Harbor that you’ll want a jacket from. Dysart’s Truck Stop, iirc. 100-pound bags of wood pellets optional.

Wait so this location is open 24 hours now? I drove by today at 8PM and it looked like the gates were down and it was only for monthly pass holders. How does this work?

If I'm confused I imagine someone else is going to have trouble with this.

Yes, it's open 24 hours. I charged last night at around 10:30 PM, all the gates are closed except for the one on A Street (the south side of the parking palace). The marked location on the in-car map accurately shows this as the entrance.

• Helpful
Reactions: Vern Padgett