Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
07B31287-6861-46D1-827A-6D163925642C.jpeg
Today Sunday 12pm closed!

What a pain!! I called tesla and the rep said “you shouldn’t rely on TESLA Superchargers”

Good to know..... fail

Putting SCs at malls was a big enough fail. See conflict of interest. Planning ahead for food and bathroom breaks isn’t that hard.

Now putting SCs in restricted access locations is even more of a fail*.

What’s next - putting SCs in church parking lots with free 24/7 access except with a small donation due on Sundays, weekdays at 6am due to morning mass, and during the odd wedding and funeral? Church membership is declining - look at all that newly-available parking. How about SCs at ball parks except with $20 access during games? Fenway... Dodger Stadium... heh - what could possibly go wrong?

Meanwhile, hopefully the “new upgrades” at that obviously closed SD parking garage will include the familiar first hour free policy and, oh yeah, 24/7 access. Otherwise, they’re little better than ChaDeMos at Nissan stealerships that are available during business hours only.

* nascent business model, however.

Reactions: logan and P85_DA
Photo from 7:30 am Sunday morning 7/8/2018 .
IMG_0056.JPEG
I arrived in SD late last night with low SOC. Based on previous posts, I assumed that 24/7 access had been worked out.
I find it incredulous that Tesla would have entered a lease that did not specify 24/7 access to the superchargers. There's no way Tesla would spend upwards of $100k for the supercharger installation, not to mention the lease payments, and not require 24/7 access. As it stands, after hours access seems t o be at the whim or staffing level of the garage operator. Supercharging in SD is a PR nightmare for Tesla that must be resolved.

A street entrance open 2:30pm Sunday July 8, 2018. There were between 4 - 8 stalls in use during my 40 minutes there. 6th street exit gate closed, paid $5 to exit and the gates open to let you out.

To reiterate upthread, if you have parking anxiety (I very much do), it doesn't get much worse than this. Maybe auto-park does it for you, I dunno, I should try. OTOH, the spots are very wide.

There are two HPWC there as well, does anyone know the power output on those? Not listed on plugshare.

Wow, this is insanely annoying. I encourage everyone to call Tesla and tell them what’s going on. I called myself last week and was told a message would get passed along to the supercharging team. Thought it was resolved at this point.

I was told that [email protected] was a monitored email a year ago... not sure if it still is.

Edit: Went ahead and called Tesla myself again. He said he would reach out to the SC team. The more calls the better.

Last edited:
Reactions: David99 and GuyDude
I'm traveling to this SC next Sunday evening on a road trip and will need it open otherwise my trip is going to be much longer. I'll call tesla and report this/ complain tomorrow so they can hopefully have a resolution

I'm traveling to this SC next Sunday evening on a road trip and will need it open otherwise my trip is going to be much longer. I'll call tesla and report this/ complain tomorrow so they can hopefully have a resolution
Yes I’m sure tesla will have someone meet you there and open the garage for you, because it’s their garage and they have control over that.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Some people really struggle getting in/out of the charging spot. Like what somebody said above, it's a fender bender waiting to happen

One could leverage the row on the opposite side if it's mostly empty. But if this place gets full, prepare to execute the 829-point ballet. I like the suggestion above--everyone sticks to one side until half full. Obviously that would be hard to coordinate long-term.

To add to my post above, there was no attendant on duty when I was there yesterday afternoon. The payment at the exit appears to be credit (or debit?) card only.

• Funny
Reactions: PLUS EV and logan
I haven't been by the site yet b/c, ya know, I live in San Diego and have my own charging solution that I'm responsible for. As should be required for all Tesla owners (OK, OK, sorry, won't get into that!).

But it sounds like the days/times/openness of this SC are a nightmare. It's embarrassing for Tesla and irritating a lot of people. And I genuinely feel for the road-trippers. However, I have zero sympathy for the locals (OK, OK, sorry, won't get into that!).

But, and this is a big but. . . We should talk about the alternative to it being open in this funky status of unknown timing/closures/etc: Tesla completes the charger, passes all inspections and does EVERYTHING but throw the switch and add the location to our nav. Then - they spend the weeks/months to iron out all the kinks with garage access, timing, etc. Potentially the SC sits there completely unused when it could at least be used on an intermittent basis. I think that's a lot worse than what we have now. . . Even if a TINY bit of pressure is removed from Qualcomm this is a fraction of a win in the interim.

The fact is - some day (and nobody knows when) - all of these questions will be resolved. Maybe it's Tesla's strategy to put the SC online and then let the squeakiest wheels get the grease? For my money, it sure beats letting weeks go by and having a perfectly good SC remain offline 100% of the time b/c Tesla want to save themselves the local embarrassment.

Does this all make sense? I guess what I'm saying is - let's actively keep up our efforts to let the SC team know (sending emails, calling, etc.) that we have open concerns on this location and hope that they are resolved in a timely manor.

That the spaces are tight and bad Tesla owners don't pull in all the way (this happens all over, IMO) is another issue. The spaces should be bigger (this will never happen) and Tesla owners should be a lot more mindful (unfortunately, this will also never happen).

End rant! :rolleyes:

I haven't been by the site yet b/c, ya know, I live in San Diego and have my own charging solution that I'm responsible for. As should be required for all Tesla owners (OK, OK, sorry, won't get into that!).

Cool, but not possible for 100% of owners.

Well after all these emails I’m sure tesla will have their best investigating team on this!

View attachment 315744

Are you supposed to be funny? Might want to change the 2010 meme avatar... ;)

Cool, but not possible for 100% of owners.

Are you supposed to be funny? Might want to change the 2010 meme avatar... ;)
I’m not supposed to be funny. A lot of the complaints here on the other hand are hilarious.
Why is the garage closed at this time? LET ME CALL TESLA THEYLL FIGURE IT OUT!
I’m gonna call Tesla and complain that this supercharger is too far from the places I want to visit! GRrrr ****ing Tesla should have placed this charger in my backyard!
I’m gonna complain to Tesla that this garage is closed when I’ll be there! GRrrr Tesla should know better and have a butler take care of all my needs at all times!

All this entitlement, my goodness.