Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA - Camino Del Sur (Black Mountain Ranch area, LIVE 11 Jan 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some updates on the website...

Review ID Discipline Status Due Date Completed Date Lateness Active
1689411 MIS-Addressing Assignment Pending 08/14/2018 Yes

Also,

BDR-Electrical 08/06/2018 along with BDR-Structural, BDR-Planning again.

Haven't stopped by physically recently.

Reactions: Graffi
This will end up being the closest one at work for me. I eat in that area once every couple of weeks. Will check it out next time I am there.

Nothing new as of Tuesday evening. The dumpsters and containers are gone, and no sign of painting for trenching. I thought I may have seen lines on the sidewalk above (West of) the loading area, but I am pretty sure if there were lines it wasn't related because if they make the trip out they would mark up the parking lot at the same time.

I think we're overlooking the weather factor...
Calabasas and Fontana, which have been even hotter than this location, appear to have stalled (at a quick glance), while Carlsbad's somewhat better weather has allowed certain activities to proceed at a slower pace. Working on asphalt with no shade has to be tough not only on humans, but also (perhaps, just a guess) on concrete curing conditions or other working materials.

I would expect things to start looking up as the temperature drops to sane levels.

I live just down the street from this shopping center and I'm at that Target every single week. This area is densely populated with Teslas. I'd estimate anywhere from 2-5% off all the vehicles in the Del Sur/4S Ranch area are Teslas. That doesn't sound like a big number, but it means up to 1 in 20 cars is a Tesla. I bet this site will be overrun with locals like me trying to get in a quick charge while shopping, especially if the rate ends up being less than what people would pay at home (if they're into a higher SDG&E tier, for example). Thankfully idling fees should keep people from leaving their cars here too long.

Judging from the way people behave with the two free EV charging stations in the 4S Commons by the Wells Fargo, it's could get contentious here. At least we won't have to deal with all the Leafs, Bolts, Volts, etc unplugging each other all the time.

The area that was marked as #1 in the earlier post would make the most sense from a traffic control stand-point. There's almost always no cars parked there, there's only one entrance for that big side lot, and the aisle is really long. If a queue is needed, it would be out of the way and easy to manage. #2 would be a little more in the way of things, but not a bad choice. If a queue forms, though, it could get in the way of parking spaces that are used more often and there's just more traffic there in general compared to the #1.

Someone mentioned the small lot between the Chik-fil-a and the Starbucks, which I think would be a nightmare. There's only one way in and out of that tiny lot. There would be no where for a queue that wouldn't obstruct the entrance to the entire shopping center from Camino Del Sur, the Chik-fil-a drive-thru, the intersection in front of the Starbucks, or one of the parking aisle that always has a fair number of cars in it.

I don't know how often sites actually get built after permits have been filed, but I wouldn't be surprised of this one doesn't happen any time soon. I'd love it to be there as a local, but there are sites along the 15 corridor in North County that make more sense, the most obvious being the North County mall right off the freeway only 3-4 exits north of here.

Reactions: David L
...the most obvious being the North County mall right off the freeway only 3-4 exits north of here.
Exactly what I was thinking. Or even the new MTS Station in Sabre Springs, or Park n Ride near 24 hr Fitness in RPQ. Really disappointed that between Qualcomm and Promenade, Temecula are ZERO Superchargers. And heck, not like you can count on Qcom anyways.

Not saying it is, just saying it could be....
spotted today, west side of Target, section being fenced off

Attachments

• 20181003_124320.jpg
    20181003_124320.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 132
Here now (yeah, I am an insomniac).

This should be marked as construction started (@BlueShift ). There is trenching in the asphalt, and six or so parking spaces have been removed to make room for the transformer and charging equipment.

Would post pics, but it is too dark for my camera to get anything decent.

When someone posts that Tesla equipment is on site, I will change the thread title.

I realize that the sign on the temporary fence says “Electric Vehicle Infrastructures”. But that doesn’t prove this is a Tesla Supercharger site. I don’t recall seeing that name before at a Supercharger construction site.

I entered the address listed in the permit, 17170 Camino Del Sur San Diego, CA 92127, into the Tesla Find Us page. It’s the small circle in this image, just above “4S RANCH”.
C31DDF90-AC28-4294-A39E-48833EEE9163.png

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Based on Tesla’s Find Us page, which calls this future Supercharger location “Carmel Mountain, CA”, I have changed the thread title. To avoid confusion, we have to use Tesla’s names, even if they don’t always conform to local usage, since that is the name that will appear in the car nav.

D0C042EC-3580-4245-9422-B7C66435EE7E.png

When someone posts that Tesla equipment is on site, I will change the thread title.

I realize that the sign on the temporary fence says “Electric Vehicle Infrastructures”. But that doesn’t prove this is a Tesla Supercharger site. I don’t recall seeing that name before at a Supercharger construction site.

I entered the address listed in the permit, 17170 Camino Del Sur San Diego, CA 92127, into the Tesla Find Us page. It’s the small circle in this image, just above “4S RANCH”.
View attachment 340967

See post 17 in this thread. The permit clearly said Tesla and Supercharger. Not sure what else would be needed, but you are the boss, if you want to wait for an equipment sighting.

See post 17 in this thread. The permit clearly said Tesla and Supercharger. Not sure what else would be needed, but you are the boss, if you want to wait for an equipment sighting.
Thanks, you are correct. I missed that. I’ve changed the thread title.

The level of Supercharger construction activity in California makes it difficult for me to keep up with all the discussions! :confused:

So, we can confirm that there will be 12 stalls.. cool

Project 581515 - Tesla EVCs CA 118
Project Information
Scope BLACK MOUNTAIN RANCH: Building and Electrical permits for installing (12) charging stations in parking lot of an existing commercial site. work includes installing transformers, supercharger cabinets & equipment enclosure and Light pole. ZONE: CC-3-5,CC-4-5/ ESL/ Geo Haz 23,53

Here now (yeah, I am an insomniac).

This should be marked as construction started (@BlueShift ). There is trenching in the asphalt, and six or so parking spaces have been removed to make room for the transformer and charging equipment.

Would post pics, but it is too dark for my camera to get anything decent.

Oops, that must have been just out of frame when I snapped the photo yesterday. I blame the wife for rushing me, or else I probably would have taken a few more. :)

Based on Tesla’s Find Us page, which calls this future Supercharger location “Carmel Mountain, CA”, I have changed the thread title. To avoid confusion, we have to use Tesla’s names, even if they don’t always conform to local usage, since that is the name that will appear in the car nav.

We don't really know how it will appear in the car nav, at this point, right? Would be really nice if Tesla would get their location names right!