Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA - Camino Del Sur (Black Mountain Ranch area, LIVE 11 Jan 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carmel Mountain, CA
Coming Soon

Target opening in 2019
Exact timing and specific location may vary
This was on Tesla site, map showed location
I think the consensus is that the station discussed in this thread is the one you cite. Just as the "Del Mar" one is likely the one that's actually in the city of san diego on Del Mar Heights Rd.

Before the QC station opened (and years before the Downtown station even had a "future" pin on their map) the "San Diego" pin was centered on downtown.

Photo from PlugShare of the chargers in handicap spots
AC950759-E069-4A91-BD17-A3BEAF0FBBEB.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Elmexiken
I couldn't find a clear cut California rule for this, but did find this document which is pretty recent and an official ca.gov website.

https://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/dsa/access/EVCS_FAQ_09-20-17.pdf

"Are the ADA spaces ADA-only?
RESPONSE:
Standard accessible and van accessible EVCS (EV Charging Station) vehicle spaces which display the International Symbol of Accessibility (ISA), sometimes referred to as the wheelchair symbol, are generally understood to be reserved for the exclusive use of a disabled person displaying special license plates or a distinguishing placard."

Seems like the spot isn't available for people that don't meet the requirements for the disabled placards. I don't think I'd personally ever use it, but I certainly wouldn't leave my car unattended in that spot if I did.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
As with many CA regs, I can't make heads or tails of it. Can anyone provide clarity on whether this "handicap" space, as pictured above, is available for general use when all others are in-use?
Definitively, It's not. And anyone making use of it without placard/plates is liable to be cited/towed. But they've also marked the stall in an unintended/unapproved manner. It shouldn't have the ISA (blue and white wheelchair symbol) ground marking. That indicates that it is space allowed to be used for disabled access parking as opposed to being limited for charging. It should have the ISA sign on the post at the front of the stall but only the ground marking saying, "EV CHARGING ONLY". That would properly indicate that it is a disabled access EVCS (EV Charging Station). For a properly marked disabled access EVCS, someone with appropriate placard/plates but isn't charging would also be liable to being cited/towed.

There are, however, some locations which instead of the ISA sign have a courtesy sign which says something like, "please leave this space for disabled access and only use it if no others are available". Such a stall is technically available to be used by anyone charging but should be left for last.

I couldn't find a clear cut California rule for this, but did find this document which is pretty recent and an official ca.gov website.

https://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/dsa/access/EVCS_FAQ_09-20-17.pdf

"Are the ADA spaces ADA-only?
RESPONSE:
Standard accessible and van accessible EVCS (EV Charging Station) vehicle spaces which display the International Symbol of Accessibility (ISA), sometimes referred to as the wheelchair symbol, are generally understood to be reserved for the exclusive use of a disabled person displaying special license plates or a distinguishing placard."

Seems like the spot isn't available for people that don't meet the requirements for the disabled placards. I don't think I'd personally ever use it, but I certainly wouldn't leave my car unattended in that spot if I did.
Jeez, that's some toothless legalese garbage... "generally understood"? Something seems amiss on the enforceability front. But I agree, I wouldn't leave the car if I had to use this as the last available spot.