Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the "final solution" to enable the 12th pedestal will either require tearing up the pavement and regrading some section of the parking lot to move the handicap stall, or moving pedestal 1B to the left 3 to 4 feet? Both require digging in the dirt which will likely disrupt for a while, although hopefully only on one side of the garden.

Perhaps this was already answered, if so I apologize. But let me see if I get this right. The SC is more or less ready except for the incorrect placement of a handicap stall. Until this handicap stall is corrected (which may entail ripping up part of the lot), the SC cannot open?

Why does there need to be a handicap stall to begin with? Is this required under the ADA? I don't recall ever seeing a dedicated handicap stall at all the other SCs I've visited (e.g., SJC, RC, Barstow, Primm). Indeed, i don't recall every seeing one. I admit, however, I never bothered to check.

Perhaps this was already answered, if so I apologize. But let me see if I get this right. The SC is more or less ready except for the incorrect placement of a handicap stall. Until this handicap stall is corrected (which may entail ripping up part of the lot), the SC cannot open?

Why does there need to be a handicap stall to begin with? Is this required under the ADA? I don't recall ever seeing a dedicated handicap stall at all the other SCs I've visited (e.g., SJC, RC, Barstow, Primm). Indeed, i don't recall every seeing one. I admit, however, I never bothered to check.

It seems that there are multiple "errors" surrounding placement of the handicapped stall, position of pedestal 1B, striping of the pavement, slope of the parking lot surface, ... But yes, it seems that the issue preventing the entire parking lot to be opened is the handicapped stall, slope and striping in accordance with city regulations.

No, stall 1B, which is adjacenent to the handicap stall, cannot be used. It appears the lot can be opened as-is, and I've heard that's the plan, and 1B will be corrected later.

The handicap stall is part of local city code. It also looks like there is handicap stall in Mountain View, though, so perhaps this is going to become the norm.

No, stall 1B, which is adjacenent to the handicap stall, cannot be used. It appears the lot can be opened as-is, and I've heard that's the plan, and 1B will be corrected later.

The handicap stall is part of local city code. It also looks like there is handicap stall in Mountain View, though, so perhaps this is going to become the norm.

I've seen handicapped stalls at some other Superchargers. El Centro (photo courtesy of liuping), is one other I have visited.

I gotta believe there is a city ordinance involved here, because every new charger I've seen in the last several months within the city limits has had at least one plug accessible by a handicap spot. A new ChargePoint charger just opened down the street from where I work in the Torrey Pines area. All 3 plugs are right next to the handicap spots, with one plug accessible by the last handicap spot.

I suppose it could be a coincidence because EV chargers (of the non-SC variety) tend to be placed close to buildings so the wiring run is shorter, and that's where the handicap spots would be, but the experience with this SC makes me think otherwise.

BTW, if anybody is staying at the Torrey Pines Hilton or the Lodge at Torrey Pines and wants a free charger within walking distance, this new ChargePoint charger appears to be free (as opposed to the pay Blink chargers at those 2 hotels). Just need a ChargePoint account. I added it to PlugShare a couple of days ago: Biocom Alexandria Parking Lot | San Diego, CA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

I've seen handicapped stalls at some other Superchargers. El Centro (photo courtesy of liuping), is one other I have visited.

Also at Inyokern. I remember reading about others.
While I definitely support ADA in principal, I too often I have seen ADA requirements go to far. So, I am thrilled to see the "bus seat" approach here, that is, "use this spot last" or "give it up to someone in need".

I gotta believe there is a city ordinance involved here, because every new charger I've seen in the last several months within the city limits has had at least one plug accessible by a handicap spot. A new ChargePoint charger just opened down the street from where I work in the Torrey Pines area. All 3 plugs are right next to the handicap spots, with one plug accessible by the last handicap spot.

I suppose it could be a coincidence because EV chargers (of the non-SC variety) tend to be placed close to buildings so the wiring run is shorter, and that's where the handicap spots would be, but the experience with this SC makes me think otherwise.

BTW, if anybody is staying at the Torrey Pines Hilton or the Lodge at Torrey Pines and wants a free charger within walking distance, this new ChargePoint charger appears to be free (as opposed to the pay Blink chargers at those 2 hotels). Just need a ChargePoint account. I added it to PlugShare a couple of days ago: Biocom Alexandria Parking Lot | San Diego, CA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Definitely a city requirement. Check out this post by RandyS up thread in which he links the City of San Diego policy for handicapped access to EV chargers.

- - - Updated - - -

Also at Inyokern. I remember reading about others.
While I definitely support ADA in principal, I too often I have seen ADA requirements go to far. So, I am thrilled to see the "bus seat" approach here, that is, "use this spot last" or "give it up to someone in need".

+1 on the "bus seat" approach (nice euphemism, BTW). I think this makes perfect sense, and actually is supported by the city policy.

Still..... I have not seen HC access at gas station islands.
At many gas stations, HC users are expected to honk and wait for an attendant to pump the gas for them. Also since it's not a parking space there's no neighboring car to get in the way of a HC user that can get out and pump their own. The typical miniMart at a gas station does have a HC space since it's a parking space.

At many gas stations, HC users are expected to honk and wait for an attendant to pump the gas for them. Also since it's not a parking space there's no neighboring car to get in the way of a HC user that can get out and pump their own. The typical miniMart at a gas station does have a HC space since it's a parking space.

That's my point! These SC's should NOT be considered parking spaces. And yes, the typical minimart does have HC - but not at the refueling area.
Some gas stations have multi parallel slots (Costco), which makes HC not accessible depending on which side the gas cap is located.

That's my point! These SC's should NOT be considered parking spaces. And yes, the typical minimart does have HC - but not at the refueling area.
Some gas stations have multi parallel slots (Costco), which makes HC not accessible depending on which side the gas cap is located.
Gas stations have attendants that can assist the disabled, SC don't.

This is how they address HC and ICEing issues in Glenwood Springs, CO
image.jpg

But the user has to exit the car to charge and having another car a normal parking distance would make that impossible for the handicapped. So you have to either make all the stalls HC friendly or have a designated stall.

Disclaimer: As far as I know the site isn't officially open but at some point today the scaffolding was removed and the pylons where moved to the side allowing cars to enter the parking area through both entries. It is quite possible they will block those entries again later today.

That said:
Tesla Super Charger San Diego.jpg

Disclaimer: As far as I know the site isn't officially open but at some point today the scaffolding was removed and the pylons where moved to the side allowing cars to enter the parking area through both entries. It is quite possible they will block those entries again later today.

That said:
View attachment 83474

wow. Nice first post from you. Looks like it's unofficially live (since those cars appear to be charging)