Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday - Sunday afternoon was pretty much Tesla Motorsclub gathering at the SJC Superchargers: 6 cars waiting to charge at 4pm.
Charger 1A is broken. Two chargers had cars parked in a spot for over 1.5 hour. Owners came to pick up car (new car, just picked up from Fremont, had 263 miles when I peeked inside the dash). Another guy was from Carlsbad (25 miles away) and was just picking up free electricity - he charged to 225 miles (I guess that's his value of his personal time: saved a couple of dollars and spent an hour at the SC).
Then comes a car full of older folks who have never used a supercharger: funny scene watching them attempt to disconnect cars to plug theirs in, but they soon learned the proper etiquette.
Rumors about more superchargers across the street at an empty parking lot from Union Bank. Also rumors about Carlsbad service center and SC.
Lots of good people hanging out, lots of folks oblivious (or entitled?) to the fact that it's uncool to keep one's car in a SC spot for 90-120 minutes.
It does sound like some folks do a max charge at SJC b/c they are traveling to San Diego, and are concerned about not being able to charge in SD (folks: look on plugshare or go to the service center). I guess a SC in downtown SD +/- Carlsbad will help.
I live in Carlsbad, but I would like to state for the record that this person was not me. I hung out at home all day yesterday watching football. :biggrin:

I was at the San Diego service center a couple of weeks ago to have a few things looked at and one of the employees confirmed that there will be a Carlsbad service center in our future. Apparently there are so many Teslas in San Diego county that the one service center is struggling to handle the load. Also, he wasn't sure if the new Carlsbad service center would have a supercharger as well, or just HPWCs.

Yesterday - Sunday afternoon was pretty much Tesla Motorsclub gathering at the SJC Superchargers: 6 cars waiting to charge at 4pm.
Charger 1A is broken. Two chargers had cars parked in a spot for over 1.5 hour. Owners came to pick up car (new car, just picked up from Fremont, had 263 miles when I peeked inside the dash). Another guy was from Carlsbad (25 miles away) and was just picking up free electricity - he charged to 225 miles (I guess that's his value of his personal time: saved a couple of dollars and spent an hour at the SC).
Then comes a car full of older folks who have never used a supercharger: funny scene watching them attempt to disconnect cars to plug theirs in, but they soon learned the proper etiquette.
Rumors about more superchargers across the street at an empty parking lot from Union Bank. Also rumors about Carlsbad service center and SC.
Lots of good people hanging out, lots of folks oblivious (or entitled?) to the fact that it's uncool to keep one's car in a SC spot for 90-120 minutes.
It does sound like some folks do a max charge at SJC b/c they are traveling to San Diego, and are concerned about not being able to charge in SD (folks: look on plugshare or go to the service center). I guess a SC in downtown SD +/- Carlsbad will help.

Gaswalla - did you call Tesla and tell them about the broken supercharger? In situations like this, I'm not at all shy. I write nice notes and put them the wipers of cars that have been there for hours telling them how uncool it is to leave their car when people are waiting.

San Diego region needs more Superchargers right now!

I've heard that they are "looking" in San Diego right now...But it is seriously a mess for someone that doesn't live there. I almost regretted driving the Tesla down to San Diego - Mom in law is in an apartment! No charge option there. I don't have dual chargers. Yeah- I regretted it! Then, I ask if I can get the dual chargers installed because I am annoyed. Yes, It's only 3600$! OMG!! for a 400$ box and some labor? :cursing:

Curious as to what impact, if any, the opening of the Rancho and soon Culver City SpC will have on folks driving up from SD? Will it allow you all in some cases to forego a stop at SJC? If you are traveling up the 5 then I suppose not.
Culver City is essentially part of the Hawthorne expansion - the addition of CC really shouldn't shift folks from any other charger other than Hawthorne. Rancho Cucamonga definitely could help folks leaving SD and heading inland, and could pull a tiny bit of traffic from SJC in my opinion.

Culver City is essentially part of the Hawthorne expansion - the addition of CC really shouldn't shift folks from any other charger other than Hawthorne. Rancho Cucamonga definitely could help folks leaving SD and heading inland, and could pull a tiny bit of traffic from SJC in my opinion.

The only reason I thought Culver City would help the SD crowd was to eliminate congestion at Hawthorne so owners may charge to lower SOC at SJC and not have to think twice about stopping in west LA. I think TM definitely needs another SpC further north along the 5. Not sure why Thousand Oaks and Calabasas are receiving the priority as IMO those sites are not needed.

The only reason I thought Culver City would help the SD crowd was to eliminate congestion at Hawthorne so owners may charge to lower SOC at SJC and not have to think twice about stopping in west LA. I think TM definitely needs another SpC further north along the 5. Not sure why Thousand Oaks and Calabasas are receiving the priority as IMO those sites are not needed.

4 mile detour to use the Hawthorne Supercharger.

Less than a 1 mile detour to use the Culver City Supercharger AND Five Guys Burgers.

This should save at least 20 minutes in access issues when going 405 North/South.

I think one of the issues is when we here from construction workers what sites are coming up, it depends on what they heard and whether the company is actively bidding it. I've heard someone say Calabasas but to a disenterested observer, it could be Carlsbad, the same if someone said Oceanside, Carlsbad is next store...

I got ICEd in realtime on Wednesday by this guy (he's walkng away). He pulled into the stall just before me. I honked. He didn't acknowledge. I got out of my car and explained I needed to charge. He didn't care.

Needless to say I was a little annoyed at this point. And kinda shocked. Fortunately a stall opened quickly.

Bottomline is that the signs are STILL missing (stolen) on the stalls that are dedicated tesla-only stalls. We need these signs replaced. This is a basic site maintenance item.
image.jpg

Fred, Unfortunately most sites allow ICEing for 30 minutes or less (I.e. General parking). Tesla doesn't pay to have all the slots exclusively reserved for MS charging even though they absolutely should especially at SJC considering the volume of traffic.

Fred, Unfortunately most sites allow ICEing for 30 minutes or less (I.e. General parking). Tesla doesn't pay to have all the slots exclusively reserved for MS charging even though they absolutely should especially at SJC considering the volume of traffic.

I blame Tesla. The SJC site is #fail. I would rather it'd been located out in the middle of nowhere not near any services or shops at all. Putting SuperChargers in an already over-tasked strip mall parking lot was a recipe for nothing but hassle and delays.

This spot was one of the "Exclusive" tesla-only stalls. Unfortunately, per my Post, the signs were stolen early on and not replaced.

Considering they don't usually pay the site owner anything, it's amazing they get exclusive use of any of the spaces.