Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Scottsdale, AZ - N. Scottsdale Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I ran into a Tesla supercharger engineer last week, he expressed frustration at people charging before some locations actually went live on the website. I suspect the early higher power charges were pre-calibration and not Tesla sanctioned. Just because the power is on, doesn’t mean they are available to use. I noticed Scottsdale was not listed as active when this thread began. Not chastising because we’ve all done it or would be tempted. Just trying to make sense of it all.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and jon1478
When I pulled in there mid-day Friday, there were three others charging; by the time I finished walking around examining equipment, photographing, etc., another three Teslas had arrived. NOT ONE of those three knew of the site: one had heard there was "more charging sites" than the two 8kW sites at the north end of SQuarter...and it was not until I pointed at his cable that he learned these were SpCs!!! The second one told me "she always parks here" and so was thrilled at the discovery; the third told me "I was just looking for a place to park in this garage and I saw those pedestals". So happy campers all around.
And then there was the ICE who pulled in....and, though feigning astonishment it was a charging and not a parking site, he left on my insistence.

In related news, no further work on Friday at the SpC site at the junction of I-17 and Rte 101. Some cable needs pulling; there might be one more equipment to install.

Both/either one of those just made our wintertime trips between Wickenburg and anywhere in the Valley a handsomely nicer and easier activity.

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz
When I ran into a Tesla supercharger engineer last week, he expressed frustration at people charging before some locations actually went live on the website. I suspect the early higher power charges were pre-calibration and not Tesla sanctioned. Just because the power is on, doesn’t mean they are available to use. I noticed Scottsdale was not listed as active when this thread began. Not chastising because we’ve all done it or would be tempted. Just trying to make sense of it all.

I got quite the opposite reaction from the electricians that were just leaving as I pulled up. They were as excited as I was and thanked me for buying a Tesla. They were off to Modesto (which isn't even a blue dot on the map as of now). Yes, it's gonna be hard to keep away any owners who happen to find an SC before it's officially open unless it's actually blocked off.

I got quite the opposite reaction from the electricians that were just leaving as I pulled up. They were as excited as I was and thanked me for buying a Tesla. They were off to Modesto (which isn't even a blue dot on the map as of now). Yes, it's gonna be hard to keep away any owners who happen to find an SC before it's officially open unless it's actually blocked off.
Indeed-especially when the icon appears on navigation.

Are you suggesting that driving under the caution tape and plugging in is not recommended? :)

• Funny
Reactions: jbcarioca
IMG_3935.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz and Acps110
Just found this on the map today. I've been apartment hunting in Phoenix and was restricting my search to only places with chargers on-site, which is a rarity around here it seems. Now I can open it up to include places with garages that have 115v near Scottsdale, which means pretty much "everywhere", since I can always stop by the supercharger if I need a fast charge. This is fantastic. Was starting to become worried that I'd have to live in Buckeye!

This also means Tesla owners aren't stuck with the Crowne Plaza or any of the expensive resorts when driving through town overnight, also a huge plus.
I suspect you are not alone. My daughter has an apartment in Chandler. Were there a way to catch a super-charge in the East Valley, she'd join the Model 3 waiting list. Something near Chandler Mall, or the intersection of 10 and 60 would clinch that. I noticed that chargers just popped up in a parking garage in downtown San Diego --- maybe it's a new trend.

Reactions: MarkoC
Nice to have these in Scottsdale now. Probably don't need them since we have a HPWC at home nearby but still nice to have as an option if we are in a big hurry.

Can someone post the exact location of these (how to find them)?

My NEMA 14-50 at home chargers at around 28-30 miles per hour as well as a few destination chargers i've used. How fast will these stalls charge at?

Sorry that I don't know the numbers offhand.
At top speed, they'll give you 72kWh in an hour :)

That's a little over 200 rated miles in an hour. But keep in mind, there is tapering as the battery fills.