Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Seattle, WA - NW. Ballard Way (LIVE Dec 2020, 8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's a myth that V3 is "not shared".
0) When getting high power supercharging, like 150kW or 250kW, you are mostly getting power directly from the batteries in the white cabinets (the big ones, not the red/white stalls that you get your charging plugs from.)
1) Is it possible for 4 cars all charging at 250kW at the 4 stalls that are connected to one V3 cabinet? Yes. But this does not mean that the power is not shared. On the quite contrary, all the power is from ONE cabinet, all 4 cars are Sharing the energy delivered by one cabinet.
2) If you read the name plate of the V3 cabinet, you'll find the specifications for DC Input/Output. What is this? This is for one V3 cabinet getting DC power from or delivering DC power to other V3 cabinets.
2.1) The most efficient way to design a charging site/station is that all the energy stored in the cabinets can be moved delivered to any charge port. You don't want a cabinet with full energy without car charging while a car is plugged in another cabinet with low energy/power and the owner complains.
2.2) If you ever lined up waiting for your turn to get a V2 supercharger spot at the end of a busy holiday, take a note on your maximum charging power. Is it even 75kW or half of the 150kW V2 cabinet can deliver? Often not. Why? Because the batteries in the cabinet have run out, and you charge at about half AC input power a cabinet gets, which is usually a fraction of its maximum DC output rating.
3) Lets get back to V3, because of whole site is sharing, you get a better chance of reaching 250kW. When the batteries in the cabinet that you plugged into run low, you can get power from other cabinets. But this by no means you are guaranteed to get it when your car is ready to get it. At a peak day, after the battery of all the cabinets in a station run out, after waiting in queue for hours to charge, you'll find you are not reaching 250kW, probably much lower than that.
3.1) Even if one V3 cabinet can take 350kVA (yea about the same as 350kW) AC input, The actual site supply to it can be lower because of cost or other factors.

superchargerplate2-jpg.32644

• Love
Reactions: MarcoRP
Please explain that you got maximum 350kVA power input, how can you deliver 4 x 250kW = 1000 kW power output?
No, there aren't.

BTW, there are some "mobile" superchargers Tesla deploys in holiday season, where the stalls are on a flat bed and are towed to places by semi trucks. They are not powered by the diesel truck engine are they?

Last edited:
Please explain that you got maximum 350kVA power input, how can you deliver 4 x 250kW = 1000 kW power output?
A single V3 cabinet absolutely can't do that. The most it could do on its own is likely around 310-330 kW--exact value will depend on power factor and AC-to-DC conversion efficiency--not 1 MW. But new V3 supercharger locations have at least 2 V3 cabinets. And, in addition to the 350 kVA (AC) input that an individual cabinet can draw directly from the grid, each cabinet can draw a combined max of 575 kW (DC) from its sister cabinets (or a co-located battery storage system, if any). This is because all the V3 cabinets at a single location are linked to each other via a DC electrical bus. So the true maximum that a single cabinet could be putting out across the 4 stalls it serves is likely around 900 kW. And, assuming there isn't a big battery storage system (i.e. that it's like the vast majority of supercharger locations), that ~900 kW figure is only achievable at locations with at least 3 V3 cabinets.

But this is a mostly moot issue as it's pretty unlikely to ever be needed in practice without people trying to engineer a situation with 4 cars all trying to simultaneously draw the max from a single cabinet.

BTW, there are some "mobile" superchargers Tesla deploys in holiday season, where the stalls are on a flat bed and are towed to places by semi trucks. They are not powered by the diesel truck engine are they?
No, those are powered by a battery system that is also on the trailer. But those batteries likewise aren't inside the supercharger cabinets, they are totally separate.

Hey @mociaf9, thanks for the discussion. I think I got it wrong to think that batteries are in side cabinets. Back to the topic, looking at the cabinet specifications, It is probably wrong to assume that you'll get "dedicated" or "not shared" 250kW. Many claim V3 is non-shared 250kW. But reading from the specifications, on quite the contrary, it is "more shared" than V2. And if every stall happen to have a car charging and each want 250kW, most likely no body is getting 250kW.

A single V3 cabinet absolutely can't do that. The most it could do on its own is likely around 310-330 kW--exact value will depend on power factor and AC-to-DC conversion efficiency--not 1 MW. But new V3 supercharger locations have at least 2 V3 cabinets. And, in addition to the 350 kVA (AC) input that an individual cabinet can draw directly from the grid, each cabinet can draw a combined max of 575 kW (DC) from its sister cabinets (or a co-located battery storage system, if any). This is because all the V3 cabinets at a single location are linked to each other via a DC electrical bus. So the true maximum that a single cabinet could be putting out across the 4 stalls it serves is likely around 900 kW. And, assuming there isn't a big battery storage system (i.e. that it's like the vast majority of supercharger locations), that ~900 kW figure is only achievable at locations with at least 3 V3 cabinets.

But this is a mostly moot issue as it's pretty unlikely to ever be needed in practice without people trying to engineer a situation with 4 cars all trying to simultaneously draw the max from a single cabinet.

No, those are powered by a battery system that is also on the trailer. But those batteries likewise aren't inside the supercharger cabinets, they are totally separate.

I no longer see the internal part of the charging pedestals that were pictured in the September 5th post. 8 of the plastic TESLA labeled pedestal covers were boxed up (see my last pic). They could be switching out the internal components for v3 I suppose. OTOH, this definitely seems like more of an urban supercharger type of location. Really weird that this location has regressed.

I no longer see the internal part of the charging pedestals that were pictured in the September 5th post. 8 of the plastic TESLA labeled pedestal covers were boxed up (see my last pic). They could be switching out the internal components for v3 I suppose. OTOH, this definitely seems like more of an urban supercharger type of location. Really weird that this location has regressed.
Keep an eye on the dumpster. Those covers may very well end up in there

All of the stations have been removed and nothing left but the power cabinets. Perhaps they did have the wrong units and are waiting to get urban stations
Yeah, that's probably the most reasonable answer. They shipped the wrong pedestals, then not until a few days/weeks after the install began, did someone at HQ notice it. (Maybe Tesla HQ only noticed when folks started posting on TMC...)

I think the chargers are the same between v2 and Urbans, so they only need to swap out the pedestals.

So disappointing that Tesla is doing nothing about this? Approximately how long of a wait still do you all think ?
There's never a solid timetable for supercharger builds when viewed from the outside. And even people on the inside generally greatly underestimate how long it will take before it opens. In this case, the wrong equipment was delivered and installed (and then removed!), and now there has been no action at all for about a week. There is a strong likelihood that the contractor has now put it on the backburner and moved on to another project (most likely not supercharger or Tesla related). It's anybody's guess when they will get back to it.

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0
Thanks a ton @PLUS EV . Do you know a good email address for me to write to Tesla on this topic ? In my research so far, I stumbled upon [email protected].
That's the only one I've heard of and I've never tried using it. Honestly, I'm kind of skeptical that you could impact the timeline in any way by attempting to contact Tesla.

FWIW, I did check earlier today and everything looks exactly the same as the pics in my post from 9/16. As in the glove is still on the ground, garbage cans and brooms have not been moved, etc. So no one has been on site at all in over 10 days now.

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0