Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Aiea, HI (6 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consistently 7-10 cars in line at any given time during the day, on a weekday! 3 cars in line when I went at 1am.

That's pretty wild. I just checked the busy times in the app, and it shows 100% occupancy from ~6am - 11pm. This might be the busiest supercharger in the country.

Is there a local EV association that can provide guidance for level 2 charging infrastructure and grease the wheels of government to help facilitate the buildout? There are some pretty good options on the market right now, the best value of which is Tesla Destination Charging, which now offers J-1772 units in addition to the standard Tesla units. Billing is now available for installations of 6 or more units, so businesses and condos no longer have to hand out free electricity or enroll in onerous agreements with other unnamed charging providers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PStewart and Fiver
Is there a local EV association that can provide guidance for level 2 charging infrastructure and grease the wheels of government to help facilitate the buildout?
The problem isn't level 2 charging deployment; there is pretty much already. The problem is a lot of people live in high-rise condos or rental units that don't have a viable way to add charging at home.

This puts people in a situation where for a modest 40 miles of range per day they need to spend 2 hours at the mall with a L2 charger. If you drive more than that and can't charge at home you need a supercharger.

Tesla really needs several more locations just on Oahu, with a minimum of 12 stalls.

The problem isn't level 2 charging deployment; there is pretty much already. The problem is a lot of people live in high-rise condos or rental units that don't have a viable way to add charging at home.

This puts people in a situation where for a modest 40 miles of range per day they need to spend 2 hours at the mall with a L2 charger. If you drive more than that and can't charge at home you need a supercharger.

Tesla really needs several more locations just on Oahu, with a minimum of 12 stalls.
Yes, Tesla absolutely needs more Superchargers - no doubt about that. There also needs to be more L2 at destinations - particularly where people work.

Yes, Tesla absolutely needs more Superchargers - no doubt about that. There also needs to be more L2 at destinations - particularly where people work.
That's really a "talk to your employer" conversation. It is sad that there hasn't been more L2 charging deployment in the past 6-12 months. I blame HECO for most of the isssues.

One big issue with this Supercharger, as mentioned a few times throughout this thread, is that when all 6 stalls are fully utilized, which they are 24/7, the cabinet load shares everyone to 50 kW max, making the wait even longer for all parties involved.
This might be the first thing that needs to be rectified. Someone at Tesla has a misconception regarding the needs of drivers in Oahu.

Since this is a different post, in a different thread, I will update it. I will drive over there tomorrow and get some pictures.
Thank you! If there is a separate site, we should check with @Big Earl amd the mods here if this should be a separate thread. It is confusing since if there are 12 stalls being built, it would match the original permit and should belong with all that discussion and the odd 6 stall seemingly temporary one should be a separate thread. It would surprise me if it was decommissioned after 2+ years of use.

Well, I am stumped. I drove to the building, the parking structure here 3+ years ago the fold-up sign was posted at the entrance stating the Superchargers would be installed there. There's nothing there. No signage, no construction, no hint of pending construction. I drove around the outside and nothing there either. There's been no point in dropping by since it was announced because it wasn't open. Maybe I am missing something and they picked a different location. I also went by an upper level parking area about 2/10ths of a mile away where Volta Chargers were several years ago. And they are gone. Simply don't know now what's going on. We will ask someone that can, to reach out to Pearlridge management and ask. We'll post when we know more, more useful info. No nothing to take pictures of.

Well, I am stumped. I drove to the building, the parking structure here 3+ years ago the fold-up sign was posted at the entrance stating the Superchargers would be installed there. There's nothing there. No signage, no construction, no hint of pending construction. I drove around the outside and nothing there either. There's been no point in dropping by since it was announced because it wasn't open. Maybe I am missing something and they picked a different location. I also went by an upper level parking area about 2/10ths of a mile away where Volta Chargers were several years ago. And they are gone. Simply don't know now what's going on. We will ask someone that can, to reach out to Pearlridge management and ask. We'll post when we know more, more useful info. No nothing to take pictures of.
Thanks for checking in. I think the original location (where the open permit is based) is where you looked and where supercharge.info had it pinned. For some reason they decided to only install 6 in the other parking area but there were no permits pulled for it (at least at that address). Since the permit is still open, they might still be working on planning approval and that is why you are counting it in the 32 upcoming chargers per the a frame sign.

Thanks for checking in. I think the original location (where the open permit is based) is where you looked and where supercharge.info had it pinned. For some reason they decided to only install 6 in the other parking area but there were no permits pulled for it (at least at that address). Since the permit is still open, they might still be working on planning approval and that is why you are counting it in the 32 upcoming chargers per the a frame sign.
Yes, you are right. That's where I looked. And you are right about no permits where we can see them for the 6 stall location.
Happy to have done it/tried to do it. If you want, I can go by there again as needed. Its a pleasant drive.

Reactions: Big Earl
Yes, you are right. That's where I looked. And you are right about no permits where we can see them for the 6 stall location.
Happy to have done it/tried to do it. If you want, I can go by there again as needed. Its a pleasant drive.
Thumbs up for checking on this. Hawaii has different needs for Tesla charging vs anywhere else in the world that I’ve been. The lack of chargers, and lack of support at the chargers (rest rooms, food…) means reduced interest in Tesla rentals. I was on Kauai last week, Maui this week, and I have an ICE rental for both. Hawaii needs much better vehicle charging infrastructure (all islands). I see a lot of Teslas but they must be mostly ‘charge at home’ privately owned. An unusual number of Model X up at Princeville.

I might be on Lanai in the next few weeks and will report on what I see there.

Thumbs up for checking on this. Hawaii has different needs for Tesla charging vs anywhere else in the world that I’ve been. The lack of chargers, and lack of support at the chargers (rest rooms, food…) means reduced interest in Tesla rentals. I was on Kauai last week, Maui this week, and I have an ICE rental for both. Hawaii needs much better vehicle charging infrastructure (all islands). I see a lot of Teslas but they must be mostly ‘charge at home’ privately owned. An unusual number of Model X up at Princeville.

I might be on Lanai in the next few weeks and will report on what I see there.
Hawaii's first supercharger is on Lanai. But it's only for Ellison's fleet. lol.