Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sequim, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@BerTX thanks for the photos! Question: the driven-in stall on the right, if someone towing a smallish (17 foot) camper trailer drove into it and charged would they be okay there for an hour with trailer attached but positioned at a 45 degree angle behind the car I realize the trailer would partially block the lane but not sure how much. Below is a screen capture of the satellite view as shown in Apple Maps. Can you describe where the chargers are in that image? Thanks!

View attachment 233386
Actually, the location of the SC is not shown in your image. The building on the right is Black Bear Diner. The one on the left is the HIE. The SC is located more to the left, away from the Black Bear. In this area:
Screenshot_20170630-083708.png

The pull-in spot is on the peninsula jutting into the lot, just above the crosswalk.

@ecarfan , I think trying to use that spot while hooked up to a trailer would either block the drive or multiple SC stalls. I think if the lot is not full you could pull in sideways to the first back in stall and just block two stalls. If there is a car parked in the adjacent non-charging spaces, I think you'd have to unhook. The back in stall closest to the crosswalk is handicapped, btw.

Unhitching is really not that bad. We have found it to be a 5 minute job on each side of the transaction. It would be much quicker if one isn't using weight distribution.

The places we've unhitched I've always felt more relaxed about charging. Generally it's worth the small time investment.

Reactions: ChadS
Unhitching is really not that bad. We have found it to be a 5 minute job on each side of the transaction. It would be much quicker if one isn't using weight distribution.

The places we've unhitched I've always felt more relaxed about charging. Generally it's worth the small time investment.

seconded. unhitching isn't bad if the space to put the trailer is reasonable, i.e. not needing to back the trailer into a small space around a corner. the thing that takes the most time for me is re-hitching. but being able to see the ball in the backup camera makes it easy.

-Snortybartfast

Hmmm, why are they installing handicap charging stalls?

I'm very sensitive to being pilloried for this post but please realize it's not meant to be heartless. This isn't like a mall parking lot where the closest spots to the entrance can be marked for handicap parking to provide shorter walks and be compliant with the ADA. SCs are materially different from a "parking lot," where I could just park farther away and walk. For a supercharger, these are the ONLY spots of value.

This is a purpose-built charging station, thus having a handicap stall provides far less value (especially in the back corner of a lot, where most SCs are). It's similar to why we don't have handicap-only pumps at a gas station. If that pump is the only one open, it can't be used by anyone without a handicap placard. So it will remain empty and hurt the utility of the gas station/supercharger network. It's actually worse since a gas fill up takes 5 minutes and an SC stop could take 40 minutes.

If it's an accessibility question, just make ALL the stalls wider to allow free movement of wheelchairs but allow use of any stall by all Teslas.

Happy to hear different perspectives on this issue though. What am I missing?

I have been at superchargers that have handicapped stalls. It is usually one of the pedestals on the end that has extra space for next to the charging stall (just like a handicapped parking spot). The sign just says something like "HANDICAPPED CHARGING STALL. PLEASE USE LAST."

Thus your fears of the addition of a handicapped stall making the supercharger location less efficient are unfounded.

Also, of course I'm sure they would love to make *all* the stalls wider as I'm sure many parking lots would love to make *all* the parking spots wider, but there are space constraints and doing this would clearly make superchargers and/or parking lots far less efficient.

It's probably the law to have a certain percentage of handicap stalls. Just like it is in Washington where there's the EV Readiness Building Code. Five Percent of parking spaces in apartments, condo's, and come commercial building are to be EV ready. Not necessarily a charger, but 220 electrical must be wired in. WAC 51-50-0427, Section 427.

I have been at superchargers that have handicapped stalls. It is usually one of the pedestals on the end that has extra space for next to the charging stall (just like a handicapped parking spot). The sign just says something like "HANDICAPPED CHARGING STALL. PLEASE USE LAST."

Thus your fears of the addition of a handicapped stall making the supercharger location less efficient are unfounded.

Also, of course I'm sure they would love to make *all* the stalls wider as I'm sure many parking lots would love to make *all* the parking spots wider, but there are space constraints and doing this would clearly make superchargers and/or parking lots far less efficient.

A "please use last" model would be great. The photo indicated it is was a legitimate handicapped only stall so use by anyone else would result in a $250 fine.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Sequim is OPEN for business!
Please elaborate. Did you charge there? Did you call and ask? Sorry, but we have had people who heard from a friend that someone they talked to at the store's brother heard on the news that a Supercharger was open. We'll believe you if you used it, and a picture of you charging would be well received, but just a few words makes it tough for @BlueShift to change the status of it on supercharge.info.

• Funny
Reactions: Sather
Yeah, no chance. This is a disconnect site.
Wouldn't there be SOME chance? if all the non-charging slots to the left of the SC were open, couldn't you pull up and just block 2 stalls? Trying to learn here. Is the issue there that someone might pull into the SC in front of you and an ICE park behind you, so you can't get out? Or is it just not wanting to block 2 stalls?

Wouldn't there be SOME chance? if all the non-charging slots to the left of the SC were open, couldn't you pull up and just block 2 stalls? Trying to learn here. Is the issue there that someone might pull into the SC in front of you and an ICE park behind you, so you can't get out? Or is it just not wanting to block 2 stalls?
There is a small chance. I don't like the curved approach, and you'd need to cone off spots behind the trailer so you don't get trapped. Seems too high risk to be worth the few minutes of unhitching, but a driver would have to assess for themselves.

Reactions: BerTX
My wife and I stopped by. Nothing really new here, but just some confirmation that if you try to use a trailer in any of these spots, you are going to block SOMETHING:

IMG_20170712_155223.jpg

Also, I checked the handicapped charger and verified that it said to use it last.

The Holiday Inn Express and Black Bear Diner both look nice and fairly new. There is a walk/bike path across the street. That is just about it for features in the area.

My wife and I stopped by. Nothing really new here, but just some confirmation that if you try to use a trailer in any of these spots, you are going to block SOMETHING:

View attachment 235386

Also, I checked the handicapped charger and verified that it said to use it last.

The Holiday Inn Express and Black Bear Diner both look nice and fairly new. There is a walk/bike path across the street. That is just about it for features in the area.
Thanks for the report. Good looking Supercharger station.

Looks like I might have been the last Tesla that Wilder Nissan will see at their CHAdeMO.

Reactions: BerTX