Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sherman Oaks, CA - Ventura Blvd. (LIVE 13 Dec 2022, 40 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

New permit for a Supercharger at the Sherman Oaks Galleria, 40 V3 stalls

S O.jpg

Almost certainly not. In almost every case where Tesla has put superchargers in pay lots, people just going to charge still have to pay the garage fee.

For v2 or v3 Superchargers, Tesla has frequently had agreements for 1/2 to 1 hour of free parking, at least during a time of day when parking can be validated.
For urban Superchargers, Tesla does not have free parking agreements.

These would be v3, so it would be more likely to have a free parking agreement. Of course, in California, whether you can get to charge during that time limit is a different question.

Reactions: bigblackshaq
Parking charges might not be all that relevant with the direction Tesla is going.
See the attached post:

Reactions: Misterbee
It would be pretty dumb to put these 40 stations in a place that's going to charge you for parking, when there are dozens of other places they could put them around there.
It's all about where Tesla can get cheap or free places. With real estate at a premium, I am sure they couldn't get many places in the cheap.

Also, consider this is a combo shopping/office complex. All the people who work there are getting their parking paid for, so any Tesla drivers who work there are ecstatic. Though I don't know how many people are employed in the area.

I'm looking forward to this location, even if there is parking fee. It's not perfect, but a MUCH needed place when I visit my Mom. But it looks like this one is about a year out - Tesla's site lists this as Targeted 2022 opening.

Reactions: ldm58427
New permit for a Supercharger at the Sherman Oaks Galleria, 40 V3 stalls

View attachment 650990
It’s bizarre that they would put this inside the galleria, and I almost don’t think that can be right. There are two giant vacant dirt lots just north of this property. In fact, when I first saw the map location pop up I immediately assumed it was there and thought, “of course!” Those lots have been empty/randomly used for years. It makes no sense to me they wouldn’t use this space for a supercharger. Having to take a ticket, and circle a parking structure until you get to the roof is so inefficient. If anyone’s ever done it at Burbank, you know. Except the Galleria parking structure is three times as big, and would take you forever to get up top, assuming that’s where the charger would be. 40 stalls, you need a lot of room for that. Then again there are always a ton of valet spaces available when you drive in on level one, so maybe they struck a deal to divide the space up. A shame though, that dirt lot screams for a drive in movie screen. So maybe we get lucky and the location will actually change to there in the end.

Reactions: jawnly211
It’s bizarre that they would put this inside the galleria, and I almost don’t think that can be right. There are two giant vacant dirt lots just north of this property. In fact, when I first saw the map location pop up I immediately assumed it was there and thought, “of course!” Those lots have been empty/randomly used for years.
For the most part, Tesla does not buy or rent land for spots. They use someone else's lot and infrastructure. Any land in Sherman Oaks, vacant or not, is likely ridiculously expensive. Using space for free or cheap is a more ideal and practical solution. Tesla offers to do the entire build, and maybe even some upgrades, for little or zero rent, with the enticement of bringing in business.

It would be pretty dumb to put these 40 stations in a place that's going to charge you for parking, when there are dozens of other places they could put them around there.
Dozens? Hmmm. I am not so sure about that. No one wants to pay for parking while charging. Then again, if it is $1.00 for the first hour, my guess is many people will not think this so dumb.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Also, there are several restaurants in the Galleria: do they validate parking?

I haven't been there since I saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High (first run) there, which was kinda trippy seeing the theatre that Rat worked at was the theatre we were currently sitting in.

Reactions: Fiver
Maybe stores will issue a parking receipt if you’re shopping and buy something while charging. My friend was I think in Philadelphia with his Tesla and there was a pay garage there. Believe some local businesses and restaurants were giving vouchers to customers.

Parking garages in dense urban areas are more likely to be pay to park anyway or monthly fee, so throw in EV charging there no difference really. Those of us use to wide open suburban parking lots and free parking have it good.

Last edited: