Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sioux City, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From your last picture, it looks like the last stall has an additional concrete pad set up just for it (looks like a back-in spot for someone towing). Is that the sense you got as well, or what other purpose do you see for that additional concrete section at the end?
Ya, pretty interesting. Would be much more useful to pull in straight (given that the trailer isn't too long). But that would mean the bollard would need to be on the opposite side compared to the others. That isn't as likely since it would add cost. Backing a trailer into that spot would be a bugger, not to mention impossible if the trailer is more than maybe 20 feet or so.

Reactions: frnkblk
Ya, pretty interesting. Would be much more useful to pull in straight (given that the trailer isn't too long). But that would mean the bollard would need to be on the opposite side compared to the others. That isn't as likely since it would add cost. Backing a trailer into that spot would be a bugger, not to mention impossible if the trailer is more than maybe 20 feet or so.
I had hoped that the pull-through charging spot could have used Holiday Inn Express' parking lot ...

Reactions: android04
They did a back-in trailer spot in Entiat, WA, so you can check out that thread if you want to see the pics. Totally goofy design imo. I'd really like to see someone try to back a trailer in!

Reactions: IdaX
They did a back-in trailer spot in Entiat, WA, so you can check out that thread if you want to see the pics. Totally goofy design imo. I'd really like to see someone try to back a trailer in!

Part of the charging time entertainment.
Haha, ya seems to be more California bubble/West Coast planning and design. I doubt too many of these Tesla corporate people have ever backed trailers before. Not easy even for seasoned pros. It can be downright maddening for amateurs.

Might have to unhook and park the trailer nearby
Of course, if the trailer has electric assist on it like the possible new Airstream, you'd just unhitch it and drive it to another stall to charge it at the same time.
That of course would be in the future. In the mean time, I guess folks will have to learn to jockey their trailers around on their ways from KC to the Black Hills. At least it will be easier with than what The All Electric Family experienced (
).

Reactions: android04
Not much has changed.

Attachments

• FE67308D-BCC4-4478-B0FF-BF4459A154FA.jpeg
    FE67308D-BCC4-4478-B0FF-BF4459A154FA.jpeg
    567.6 KB · Views: 87
There's no indication that the city has been obstructing things ... do you have first or second hand knowledge of that, or have you read something in the the city council minutes?
I didn't expect to upset any members of this forum with that comment. I'm sorry to any well-intentioned member whom I may have offended.
My experience in watching our charging infrastructure grow in the US over the past 20+ years is that, whenever, it seems to be taking an unexplainably long time between plans for a public charger or Supercharger and actual completion is that it has been because of municipal red tape and other obstructions. Most of these obstructions happen in between city council meetings. Other than being a part of the negotiations or having confidential discussions with parties who are, I don't know how one would get concrete knowledge of it. Those are usually in a closed room and notes are not taken. I, personally, have been involved in a few of these in different places and have seen it myself where council members, staff, utilities, etc have some reason for not wanting the chargers or have some interest of their own that they feel conflicts. Things went very slowly there. I know of a few places that just plain never happened because the barriers were too many and too high. Naturally, however, in at least a couple of places like this, the powers that be observed the positive activity nearby, where it eventually did happen, and they got on board later.
I've also been a party to places where everyone involved wanted it to happen. In all of those cases, it happened very fast.
I don't, however, have any inside knowledge of Sioux City. Since things have not happened fast in Sioux City, my educated guess is that there is some entity opposing or at least making the process difficult. I felt it fair to share this observation with this community.
I could be wrong in this case although I don't really see any other likely explanation for what we've seen.
Again, I did not mean to offend any of the members of this forum and humbly apologize if I said something wrong or could have said it better.

Reactions: frnkblk
I don’t think you offended anyone Earl. I think they were just asking if you had some info we didn’t.
my assumption would be there most likely isn’t any holdup with the city since the pass are all poured and electrical as been pulled to the sites. I’m suspicious they are just waiting for the chargers to come to the site. There are still 2-3 weeks from what I was told the expected finish date is for this site.

I didn't expect to upset any members of this forum with that comment. I'm sorry to any well-intentioned member whom I may have offended.
My experience in watching our charging infrastructure grow in the US over the past 20+ years is that, whenever, it seems to be taking an unexplainably long time between plans for a public charger or Supercharger and actual completion is that it has been because of municipal red tape and other obstructions. Most of these obstructions happen in between city council meetings. Other than being a part of the negotiations or having confidential discussions with parties who are, I don't know how one would get concrete knowledge of it. Those are usually in a closed room and notes are not taken. I, personally, have been involved in a few of these in different places and have seen it myself where council members, staff, utilities, etc have some reason for not wanting the chargers or have some interest of their own that they feel conflicts. Things went very slowly there. I know of a few places that just plain never happened because the barriers were too many and too high. Naturally, however, in at least a couple of places like this, the powers that be observed the positive activity nearby, where it eventually did happen, and they got on board later.
I've also been a party to places where everyone involved wanted it to happen. In all of those cases, it happened very fast.
I don't, however, have any inside knowledge of Sioux City. Since things have not happened fast in Sioux City, my educated guess is that there is some entity opposing or at least making the process difficult. I felt it fair to share this observation with this community.
I could be wrong in this case although I don't really see any other likely explanation for what we've seen.
Again, I did not mean to offend any of the members of this forum and humbly apologize if I said something wrong or could have said it better.
There was no offense taken, I merely disagreed (as the button is labeled). I have no idea what the hold up is here, but I've seen supercharger constructions take a long time for a myriad of reasons.