Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Soldotna, AK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not I, lamentably. It’s 400 miles each way - longer than from Springfield Ill (is that your Springfield?) to Nashville TN (373mi). Too far for just a photo op, although we do expect to be by that way in 2-3 weeks.

ANNNDDDD….if we possibly can do so, we’ll get ourselves to the Grand Opening of AK’s first SpC. THAT will be a worthy road trip. It wouldn’t be our first one, either: we were traveling through Arizona at the right time to be present at AZ’s first - in Quartzite. November 14, 2013 - wow! That was a long time ago!

Hmmm. Fresh off an 8k mile road trip, and with over 400 SC visits behind me, that Whistle Hill location doesn't strike me as the most likely. The geolocation pin on Tesla's map puts the location near the Kenai-Spur-Highway, distinctly away from the destination charger at Whistle Hill. From the perspective of "amenities within walking distance," the spur is a much better location with a half dozen eating places within a short walk.

The pin also says, "Timing and location subject to change."

In perusing a map of Soldotna, and considering Tesla's affinity for colocating Superchargers with: gas stations, hotels, malls, and chain stores (Meijer, Fred Meyer, Wal-Mart), I'd expect to see the SC drop nearer the Safeway. It's in a very large paved area with plenty of under-utilized parking, I count 8 places to eat and 2 hotels within a very short walk, and a gas station. I'll gawk a bit when I pass through.

Hmmm. Fresh off an 8k mile road trip, and with over 400 SC visits behind me, that Whistle Hill location doesn't strike me as the most likely. The geolocation pin on Tesla's map puts the location near the Kenai-Spur-Highway, distinctly away from the destination charger at Whistle Hill. From the perspective of "amenities within walking distance," the spur is a much better location with a half dozen eating places within a short walk.

The pin also says, "Timing and location subject to change."

In perusing a map of Soldotna, and considering Tesla's affinity for colocating Superchargers with: gas stations, hotels, malls, and chain stores (Meijer, Fred Meyer, Wal-Mart), I'd expect to see the SC drop nearer the Safeway. It's in a very large paved area with plenty of under-utilized parking, I count 8 places to eat and 2 hotels within a very short walk, and a gas station. I'll gawk a bit when I pass through.

Nope.

Permits for Whistle Hill have been found plus @AudubonB spoke with the owner. Allegedly in both cases, as @MarcoRP didn’t publish the actual permits and we are taking @AudubonB at his word. But I have no reason to doubt either of them.

Tesla’s Find Us page defaults to locating pins at the center of the town name label on the map. If you zoom out a step or two, you’ll see that the pin is almost exactly centered on the word Soldotna.

Sure, the location you describe sounds much more convenient and possibly better for local businesses, but given the information we have, I’m confident that Whistle Hill is where it’s going.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and Allerix
Two weeks! Seems like a short timeline, but I've been very impressed and surprised by how quickly they're able to install and commission Tesla's new prefab sites. The big unknown is usually how long the power company will take to install transformers.

Thanks for the update. :)