Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Springfield, OR - Kruse Way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is similar to what's been happening in Ellensburg. The hotel management refuses to enforce or even notify the ICE owners. The biggest problems is that the most courteous ICE drivers arrive first, see the signs, and park away from the SC stalls. The parking lot fills up, leaving on the SC stalls open (at midnight for example), then the late arrivals block the SC stalls because there is no where else to park. Then, worst of all, those folks don't wake up or move their vehicle until very late AM, sometimes NOON, essentially blocking the SC stalls during the most important travel times. Unfortunately, I don't think anybody is happy about it (Tesla, Hotel, EV drivers or the bleary-eyed ICE driver). High speed DC fast charging should not be placed at hotels, especially those types that can be easily blocked. I would suggest that Tesla should only install pull-in stanchions at hotels (at least you can pull in alongside, blocking the offending ICE vehicle, and charge in an emergency). Furthermore, they should install several HPWC at hotels instead (we've even seen Tesla drivers park overnight in the SC stall).

Reactions: goneskiian
Was there a couple of times last week on a roadtrip to/from Portland. The two sided thing (half Holiday Inn, half Marriott) was a surprise!

Saw some broken side window glass (the large pane, not the small pane) in one spot (on the Holiday Inn side), so be aware of security when you're charging here, and definitely don't leave visible luggage unattended.

The other (weird) thing was that the onboard navigation wouldn't use this location as a charging spot on a southbound route to Mt Shasta – it either insisted on an unnecessary early topup leaving Portland (10 minutes at Woodburn) or tried to make me stretch out the battery until Grants Pass (arriving with 5%, even getting a speed warning hours ahead of arriving). I tried a few times as my journey continued and battery depleted, and for whatever reason this location didn't ever show up. In the end I stopped here for lunch and charged anyway, and stopped again for a topup at Grants Pass.

... High speed DC fast charging should not be placed at hotels, especially those types that can be easily blocked. I would suggest that Tesla should only install pull-in stanchions at hotels (at least you can pull in alongside, blocking the offending ICE vehicle, and charge in an emergency). Furthermore, they should install several HPWC at hotels instead (we've even seen Tesla drivers park overnight in the SC stall).

I think you're aiming at the wrong problem. Hotels are a good place, just as long as people are courteous and there's enough parking. I invariably stay at a hotel that's near a supercharger (Including this one) on a multi-day trip, but I always find another place after my car is charged.

This particular hotel (and the one in Ellensburg) need to be more proactive about preventing it from being ICEd. Towing offenders is completely appropriate. Management of the mall/truckstop or whatever you call that little complex with several hotels and restaurants, etc., needs to manage parking better. Every time I've been there it's been a F...ing zoo. Since the supercharger doesn't produce revenue directly, there's an incentive to give it short shrift. But it brings in customers--wealthy ones, who are more likely to come and spend money if the process is painless.

The good news for the long term is that eventually there will be enough superchargers that we can pick the ones we like. Don't like Springfield? In a few years there'll be one in Cottage Grove or Creswell or some such....provided Elon doesn't do something stupid and kill the company. (I see no plans for either, but there seems to be a plan for Roseburg. Woodburn to Roseburg is 150 miles and flat enough that it should be doable in most conditions). (I'm old enough to remember Packard and Studebaker and AMC. Car companies definitely can die.)

-Snortybartfast

Reactions: Seattle Tom
Towing offenders is completely appropriate.
-Snortybartfast

While I share your frustration, I have to disagree with you on this one.

Say you're operating a business (a hotel) and someone is paying ~$100/night to stay with you. Then you're gonna have their car towed because they parked it in the wrong spot? That's gonna get some negative reviews online and you're gonna be stuck with an irate customer and possibly an entire irate family.

What they should do is put cones in the spots. I've yet to see an ICEhole, get out of his/her car, move the cone, and then park there anyway. It's a cost-effective and simple way to prevent ICEing.

THERE'S A BUG IN MODEL 3 NAVIGATION RELATING TO THIS SUPERCHARGER
I've proved it to Tesla - if you have online routing on, and you route specifically through this charger, Nav will loop continuously and not settle. Not just TRAFFIC on, but also online routing in the NAV SETTINGS. Happens in every Model 3 we tried it in. these were on 34.1 firmware, don't know if it is in other firmware also....

• Informative
Reactions: taldric and beths11
THERE'S A BUG IN MODEL 3 NAVIGATION RELATING TO THIS SUPERCHARGER
I've proved it to Tesla - if you have online routing on, and you route specifically through this charger, Nav will loop continuously and not settle. Not just TRAFFIC on, but also online routing in the NAV SETTINGS. Happens in every Model 3 we tried it in. these were on 34.1 firmware, don't know if it is in other firmware also....
Didn't happen in my Model 3 yesterday, so must be fixed. In fact, I had enough to get to my destination, but the nav doesn't like arriving with just 5% if it doesn' t have to so it routed me through this charger.

• Informative
Reactions: taldric and beths11
Was just at this Supercharger. There are two stalls with a piece of blue tape on them and the charging cable draped over the top of the pedestal. I assume this is someone’s way of saying that the stalls are out of order? I had already plugged into a stall that worked fine and was I was charging before I noticed these two stalls, which I think were 6A and 7B. Here is a photo of 7B (did not take picture of 6A).

536CBBE7-E285-408B-BE21-A526195A9C1C.jpeg

Was just at this Supercharger. There are two stalls with a piece of blue tape on them and the charging cable draped over the top of the pedestal. I assume this is someone’s way of saying that the stalls are out of order? I had already plugged into a stall that worked fine and was I was charging before I noticed these two stalls, which I think were 6A and 7B. Here is a photo of 7B (did not take picture of 6A).

View attachment 462896
I charge there fairly regularly and both of those stalls have been down for at least a month.

I charge there fairly regularly and both of those stalls have been down for at least a month.
In the case of 6B, which we used a few days ago, it must be the bollard/pedestal for that stall only, not the inverter stack that supplies the pair. 6A worked just fine at 135+ kW (max for our state of charge).....and no sharing issues;). But it's a shame to be down two stalls at a busy supercharger.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I was there last week, both Monday going south and Thursday going north. It was crowded on Monday, but not many cars there on Thursday. The Marriot side superchargers were still having problems. There was a tech there taking care of a couple of stalls near the transformer. I tried the nose in stall and it said it was supercharging, but 0 mi/hr. I went around to the other side and the stall opposite the transformer on the Marriot side was only putting out 16 KW. I finally found one that was OK.

I hope it's working better now.

When I told the tech about the chargers being down he was amazingly unconcerned. He said they would be flagged and someone would be out to look at them. He was just there to work on a couple of them and didn't really care about anything else.

Just a PSA for anyone stopping at this Supercharger right now, and that is the hotels nearby, and most of the restaurants, won’t let you use their restrooms while you charge. We found two exceptions, and that is the Denny’s and the Chevron station. The Denny’s staff was actually awesome, and personally invited us in as we were passing by and mentioned the difficulty in being able to find a restroom. Of course it is because of the pandemic, but other locations have been much more accommodating.

I do understand the desire to be safe during a pandemic. At the same time, these places agreed to be a restroom option on the Tesla app. If people are following the precautions required, the establishments should honor their commitment. I really don’t want to scramble for a restroom on a long road trip - men have more options than females for “unconventional” relief spots but I count on these restrooms to be available.