Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Strathmore, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Post from Electric Vehicle Assn. of Alberta (EVAA) Facebook page this morning....
Apparently there's Supercharger being installed at Strathmore, AB at the RBC Bank?
I don't think this has been reported before....

It looks like it's almost ready to go...

EGoEAHs.png

Google Maps link to the location
J8huU90.png

Strathmore, AB

Along National Highways: TCH/AB-1
Along Provincial Highways (<=8km): None

TCH/AB-1

To: Bassano, AB (Construction) - 87.2 km
Diversion: 0.1 km
To: Medicine Hat, AB (Construction) - 246.9 km

To: Sudbury, ON - 2967.7 km

Another Supercharger to make travel across Alberta more flexible. Should help some travelers avoid the sizable diversion to Rocky View, AB.

* It's not on the TCH, but the ring road is faster.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Not in Northern Ontario. The distances are a lot more than 60 minutes. For example - Terrace Bay to White River is 167km and 1 hour, 50 minutes according to Google Maps.
They have to start somewhere...and starting at a multiple of what they need is just that. They can dab one in the middle after the fact. Getting some people partway to their destination is worse (as nobody, even lr can make it if you just branch from one direction). Putting them every 90-120 minutes then shaving that down means LR gets the benefit right away, then cut between to get the benefit later for SR.

They have to start somewhere...and starting at a multiple of what they need is just that. They can dab one in the middle after the fact. Getting some people partway to their destination is worse (as nobody, even lr can make it if you just branch from one direction). Putting them every 90-120 minutes then shaving that down means LR gets the benefit right away, then cut between to get the benefit later for SR.
You also have to think about going tangental more out on the prairies compared to the North side of Lake Superior. That inherently needs closer together in the line as the distance someone is going to need to travel to the nearest SC can easily be more than the distance between SC. As 'empty' as the East side of AB is, the West end of ON is more-so. :p

Plus in the case of Strathmore the Cross Irons SC is kinda out of the way for people coming from/heading onto BC or to the Southern half of Calgary.

Took a road trip the other day in my Model 3 AWD LR - charged to 90% which tells me i have 400km (?). Tesla tells me this is due to my mostly city driving fudging the range estimation.
-2ºC 230km used 330km off the battery, so not quite 1.5:1 and of course Manitoba is flat straight at 105km/h with not a significant wind. Get a little colder and I'm sure I'll see worse. I think until Bachawana opens the Superior route will not be desirable in any temps well below zero - but time will tell.

Oh, and kept the temp about 18ºC and did not put on the Aero hubcaps.

I stopped through here today on our way to Medicine Hat from Calgary, and snapped a picture just to update y'all. I think this one will end up being one of our favourite stops because we love the Greek restaurant (Opa!) which is like 50 meters away.

Anyhoo ... everything looks essentially complete here, other than the barricades. As with the Bassano one, I didn't bother plugging in to see if there was any power there. Fingers crossed that the next time we roll through there, they'll have it powered.

IMG_20191124_120436.jpg