Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tacoma, WA - S. 40th St. (under construction Feb 2024, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that the lot behind Half Price Books is less busy, but it's currently signed as church parking only so something would have to be resolved there.

As an aside, I have fond memories of going to that Red Robin when I was a little kid. It's been in that location for at least 40 years!
I don't remember seeing any signs along the drive area saying church parking only. The parking to the right, near the church, is definitely signed as church parking only, but I don't think that the rest is. People going to REI definitely park there.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
I don't remember seeing any signs along the drive area saying church parking only. The parking to the right, near the church, is definitely signed as church parking only, but I don't think that the rest is. People going to REI definitely park there.
Yeah, I think there is confusion between the back/upper lot and the church lot to the east. They appear to have separate entrances but there is access between them once you get into the lots. Here is the most recent Google Street View from Jun 2023. No signs visible. If there was a sign between the two entrances it could be either lot based on which direction you are traveling. With all the signs on there, that lot belongs to the center.

Attachments

• 1708538754582.png
    1708538754582.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
Looking at the description on the dig ticket, I still think it could be in the upper lot (behind the half priced books). The West side of that lot would make sense since that is where the existing utility vaults are. I will head back up there at lunchtime to see if I see anything.

Looking at the description on the dig ticket, I still think it could be in the upper lot (behind the half priced books). The West side of that lot would make sense since that is where the existing utility vaults are. I will head back up there at lunchtime to see if I see anything.
The address listed is S 40th which is what is confusing. None of the business have a S 40th Address.

As of right now, Tacoma Power is marked as not yet responded. Maybe they couldn't find the white markings at the parking lot entrance marked in white.
1708541223050.png

The address listed is S 40th which is what is confusing. None of the business have a S 40th Address.

As of right now, Tacoma Power is marked as not yet responded. Maybe they couldn't find the white markings at the parking lot entrance marked in white.
View attachment 1020496
The S. 40th address is confusing. there is no S. 40th St. in the area and no businesses use that address.
I was thinking the same thing about Tacoma Power. They were definitely there yesterday. I can see the lower lot from my desk. They parked in the lower lot near the South entrance. They looked around the lower lot for a while then walked up to the upper lot.

The S. 40th address is confusing. there is no S. 40th St. in the area and no businesses use that address.
I was thinking the same thing about Tacoma Power. They were definitely there yesterday. I can see the lower lot from my desk. They parked in the lower lot near the South entrance. They looked around the lower lot for a while then walked up to the upper lot.
I went over during lunch. I still can't figure out for sure where the lines are. There are some old looking lines around the upper entrance. There is a Lewis Crutcher vehicle parked there now. I'm not sure if it's related or not. There is also a utility truck between Verizon and Red Robin. I can't see who the truck belongs to or what they are doing.

Here is the S 40th answer. It is the official address of the parcel. The REI parcel is a S 38th address. Probably predates the freeway when those streets went all the way across.
1708555294212.png1708555340466.png

Now you have to determine which parking entrace is the S Entrance. There is what I consider W by the mattress store and then a SW and SE, but not just a single S.

Finally found something. Tacoma Power filed an easement for the property on 2/14 outlining the EV Charging stations. Exhibit A shows 12 Stalls in the upper lot based on the layout and matching with satellite view.
View attachment 1020568View attachment 1020569View attachment 1020570
Thanks for that very helpful information. That is exactly where I was hoping it would be. That is so much safer and easier than the lower lot. The only downside is that I can't see that lot from my office. I will keep an eye on that location when coming and going from work. It says that they are supposed to start construction on Monday.

I finally found the lines. I really don’t think these were here before. I have looked several times. The lines are actually on the church side if the upper lot/drive (behind the Half Price Books). The arrows point to the West side of the drive. So, I am still assuming that the stalls themselves will be on the West side as outlined by @Mrbrock. The lines probably just indicate that the dig area extends to the church side of the drive.
IMG_2076.jpeg
IMG_2077.jpeg
IMG_2078.jpeg

Last edited:
I have found the lines. I really don’t think these were here before. I have looked several times. The lines are actually on the church side if the upper lot/drive (behind the Half Price Books). The arrows point to the West side of the drive. So, I am still assuming that the stalls themselves will be on the West side as outlined by @Mrbrock. The lines probably just indicate that the dig area extends to the church side of the drive.View attachment 1020790View attachment 1020791View attachment 1020792
Yep, they have to mark a larger area than they actually will dig so they don’t hit anything. Thanks!

I finally found the lines. I really don’t think these were here before. I have looked several times. The lines are actually on the church side if the upper lot/drive (behind the Half Price Books). The arrows point to the West side of the drive. So, I am still assuming that the stalls themselves will be on the West side as outlined by @Mrbrock. The lines probably just indicate that the dig area extends to the church side of the drive.View attachment 1020790View attachment 1020791View attachment 1020792
Those are new markings for this new dig ticket that is much clearer than the original one.
1708630807432.png

Way back when Marco on Twitter gave the site plan for this location which had it in the upper lot along the backside of the bookstore. Would be surprised to see it moved to the center of the lower lot.
Marco has not posted in this thread and only one screenshot of the permit was referenced as to being from Marco on Twitter (which doesnt show anything other than parcels. You are the one who posted that image but never credited where you got it from. No plans have been publicly posted until the easement with Tacoma Power was recorded on 2/14/24 with the city of Tacoma that showed where the chargers would be.

Marco has not posted in this thread and only one screenshot of the permit was referenced as to being from Marco on Twitter (which doesnt show anything other than parcels. You are the one who posted that image but never credited where you got it from. No plans have been publicly posted until the easement with Tacoma Power was recorded on 2/14/24 with the city of Tacoma that showed where the chargers would be.
I had go back and look where I got it from and realized he messaged it to me but he never actually posted the site plan just the initial permit.

Either way excited to see this one moving forward. It had gone quiet for a while.

Reactions: Mrbrock
I had go back and look where I got it from and realized he messaged it to me but he never actually posted the site plan just the initial permit.

Either way excited to see this one moving forward. It had gone quiet for a while.
Sometimes when random drawings are posted without a source they get discounted. Especially with nothing Tesla on it. That looks like a portion of project plans but those usually have Tesla all over them. Thanks for clarifying!

Reactions: Guy Maughan