Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tuggeranong ACT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only that with how quickly Teslas charge, you wouldn't get enough time to do all those things. It takes a while to walk inside shopping centres. Doing all that in 15-30 mins is almost impossible. It'll just give me Tesla idle fee anxiety.

I’ve used Broadway supercharger only twice. The first time I used it, by the time I got to the shop I was going to on Level 3 and had only been browsing a couple of minutes, I got the warning charging was nearly complete and idle fees could apply. By the time I got back, charging had already finished, and I was within 1 minute of getting slugged.

I then had to move the car because there was nowhere else to park down there, which requires exiting the shopping centre and re-entering.

And then when I left again, the boomgate wanted to charge me $7 for entering the car park twice in one day.

🤦‍♂️

The whole experience was a damn nuisance!

That is exactly why there aren't enough AC destination chargers being installed, everyone has "fast brain", but it's too slow to slow to sit around "petrol doesn't take this long to fill", but too fast to go and do some shopping, or eat some food.

Despite this, Broadway SC gets hammered. It is Tesla’s busiest SC site and is regularly full. I suspect this is because the area it is in has very few feasible sites for fast charging and most people who live in the area do not have offstreet parking or they live in apartments, so it is the only option for BEV owners who need a fast charge.

On the rare occasion I snag one of the AC chargers down there, I’ve noticed a lot of folk just stay with their car while charging. If they go into the shops, it must be a hit-and-run exercise where they know exactly where they are going and what they want.

That just sounds like there aren't enough chargers of either type in that area. At Rhodes Waterside we only have AC charging (another Mirvac), and it is always full (all apartments). Plugshare check-ins for Tramsheds at Glebe suggest that it is heavily used AC only charging as well.

Edit: My experience is most owners leave their cars on AC charging for extended periods.

As a non-local, spent 10mins looking but couldn't find these chargers. Hungry toddlers at the back didn't help. And I got lost looking for my car on the way back. urgh. Wouldn't mind if someone posted a video on how to find these chargers - maybe for next time i'm out that way. Didn't "need' to charge, but would have been nice as it was the holidays and stalls were pretty busy along the Hume.

Man, should have studied harder. I see my problem now. I thought this:
1690554361185.png

Was the same as this:
1690554402077.png

Spent my time in the wrong part of the shopping centre.
1690554510691.png

How many minutes deviation off the highway would this site typically require?
Depends which highway.

Cooma to Yass? A few minutes diversion, assuming you use the parkway and the GDE to reach the Barton Highway.

Cooma to Goulburn? Major diversion. Maybe 15 minutes all up.

Not every supercharger is there for highway usage. Though this one will be useful for those in the know during unusually busy hours in ski season. Also during ski trips you might forget to pack spare jumpers for the kids & want to drop into Kmart - such as the one here. Or maybe you just crave some chicken from Kingsleys in the food court while you're in town.

As an uber driver I used to get range anxiety headed down the parkway, as it really sucks the battery dry if you keep doing it. But now I can elect to charge, if I need to. Alas the same can't be said for Belconnen and Gungahlin. There isn't a single DC charger in Canberra north of the lake, not counting the airport.

Depends which highway.

Cooma to Yass? A few minutes diversion, assuming you use the parkway and the GDE to reach the Barton Highway.

Cooma to Goulburn? Major diversion. Maybe 15 minutes all up.
informative post. Thanks.

There isn't a single DC charger in Canberra north of the lake, not counting the airport.

The 3rd party fast charging situation in the ACT is a disgrace, when you consider that the ACT govt pushes EV and have set ICE deadlines.

ACT gov needs to do its part in facilitating a decent infrastructure rollout.

Reactions: Lachlan Smith
So one more time for the dummies:
This is looking from Holwell St

The correct entrance is straight ahead as per photo below?
Where do i go once inside?

View attachment 960555
In that photo, the Southern Cross Club is on the corner immediately to your right. So, you go through the green entrance and take the ramp down on the left after entering. Once at the bottom of the down ramp, the SCs are to the right - you should see them straight away. Easy Peasy