Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger v3 new car only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading the new announcement from Tesla that the new cars will able to charge at 200kwh

I assume it's the same old 18650 battery that we have today otherwise it should be 250kwh

So the question is...

Does cars before today is capped with 120kwh?
No 200kwh supercharger v3 for current 100D owner?

Wondering the same thing. Will my S75D see an increase from its cap of 95kw?
Aside from the above post about needing new hardware stop to consider they capped your car at 95 when 120 was available all along............
So if they determined it was ok for the battery to get more this would be a completely separate thing from V3 unless they were going to make a big leaps beyond 120, but seeing as they capped it knowing they were plugging up superchargers doing so seems unlikely.

Even if the current S/X packs can't take full advantage of the faster V3 supercharging, we should see benefits when those chargers are deployed.

V3 superchargers should eliminate the A/B sharing restrictions - when vehicles are connected to both the A/B chargers, both vehicles will charge at full speed. When most of the spots are taken at a supercharger, we should be able to charge at the normal rate instead of getting restricted by sharing a charger.

And because the higher volume Model 3's will be able to charge much faster on the V3 superchargers, they'll tie up a charger spot for a shorter time, providing more availability for our slower charging S/X vehicles.

While we're disappointed that Tesla didn't include V3 supercharger support for our 2017 S 100D or 2018 X 100D, overall this won't have a huge impact on us, since we don't take long road trips that often...

• Helpful
Reactions: Bill_75D
Even if the current S/X packs can't take full advantage of the faster V3 supercharging, we should see benefits when those chargers are deployed.

V3 superchargers should eliminate the A/B sharing restrictions - when vehicles are connected to both the A/B chargers, both vehicles will charge at full speed. When most of the spots are taken at a supercharger, we should be able to charge at the normal rate instead of getting restricted by sharing a charger.

And because the higher volume Model 3's will be able to charge much faster on the V3 superchargers, they'll tie up a charger spot for a shorter time, providing more availability for our slower charging S/X vehicles.

While we're disappointed that Tesla didn't include V3 supercharger support for our 2017 S 100D or 2018 X 100D, overall this won't have a huge impact on us, since we don't take long road trips that often...
You are making assumption the model 3s will move after sufficient charge. I was at Corning, CA the other day and when I arrived a model 3 was next to me on paired charger. I instantly got around 80Kw due to my low SOC and my battery being the dreaded 90KWh pack which has supercharging speed capped. This means they were pretty much full since I was pulling quite a bit of power on these shared stall. When I was around 85%, more than enough to get to shasta, I left and they were still there waiting to get every last bit of percentage into their battery SOC. Sure it wasn't a big deal because there where spots open, but still you do make a big assumption people will leave when they have enough to get to the next station.

Reactions: croman
Tesla hasn't changed the pack. The 100 pack was redesigned for added cooling when it came out. Elon said it was almost magical and couldn't be improved further.

I bet it can go to 200kw just like the new cars. I think 75 and 90 will be out of luck.

Reactions: MP3Mike
IMG_20190629_172733372.jpg
How can you tell if the supercharger is V3?

Here is one way, seen today:

BTW, the two v3s were pulling so much power I could only get 30-50 keep on the other chargers...
That’s not how it works.

You would think they would have their own dedicated cabinet, but I have never charged so slow at any SC.

V3 is a beta after all. This one with only three slots and one was broken.
Which V3 location has 3 “slots”?