Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger V3 unveiling in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing. Do we know for a fact that 2109.20.1 is required to reach 250kW?
No we do not. And it's also entirely possible that 2019.20.1 does not actually support 250kW charging since it isn't mentioned in the release notes.

BTW, when I tap the Fremont charger on the in-car map, it still shows 150kW max power (although that doesn't necessarily prove anything).

v3 Superchargers at the Fremont factory now apparently open to the public:

Tesla on Twitter

Given that it's just a few miles from here I'd like to try if the 2019.20.1 firmware supports 250kW charging, but my SoC is currently at ~70%, so it'll have to wait.

For the benefit of everyone, can we convince you to go for a drive to run your battery down?

Here is an article, just posted 3 hours ago.
https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/07/tesla-v3-supercharging-stations-public

Fremont now has 8 slots.
"...support charging speeds up of 250kW. That means owners of long-range Model 3 (which supports charging at that speed) can add 180 miles to their vehicle in 15 minutes."

"Owners of the Model S will gain 130 miles in 15 minutes while the Model X will get 115 miles in the same time frame."

Two big takeaways.

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine
I was there last night. I make the mistake others were making, got there with ~50% remaining. My goal was simply to beat the charging rate I could get at another SuC, but to no avail. Only got up to 85kWs. Others were complaining of charging slowly AND looked like people were charging well over 80%. The line will probably not be moving too fast if they don't enforce the 80% rule, there are only a few v3's there.

I liked the thin cable, but the plug was brand new and felt misshaped unhooking and plugging into my car. Hopefully, that will change with time as they wear-in, but may just be not having to deal with the heft of v2 charge cables that made it feel weird. People were asking why the v3's are not labeled the way the v2's were, I had no idea.

Fremont now has 8 slots.
"...support charging speeds up of 250kW. That means owners of long-range Model 3 (which supports charging at that speed) can add 180 miles to their vehicle in 15 minutes."

"Owners of the Model S will gain 130 miles in 15 minutes while the Model X will get 115 miles in the same time frame."

IMG_0055.JPG

At a recent visit to V2 with my S I got 140kW, which converted to 451 mph.......according to the article and doing the math, that means the S may charge at up to 520 mph or 161kW with V3..........about a 13% increase.....unlike the model 3 with 2170 batteries which can do about 720 mph or 223.5kW, a MUCH more significant increase?

View attachment 417016

At a recent visit to V2 with my S I got 140kW, which converted to 451 mph.......according to the article and doing the math, that means the S may charge at up to 520 mph or 161kW with V3..........about a 13% increase.....unlike the model 3 with 2170 batteries which can do about 720 mph or 223.5kW, a MUCH more significant increase?

How long did it sustain 140 kW? ARBP reports the S 100 tapers rapidly back to ~120 kW after the initial spike.

How long did it sustain 140 kW? ARBP reports the S 100 tapers rapidly back to ~120 kW after the initial spike.

It tapered "slowly" off.............at 48% SOC it had dropped to 120kW and @ 63% it had dropped to 100kW.......a significant improvement since prior to the software update and SC update to V2, the best I had seen was about 112-113kW max to start with.

Reactions: Big Earl