Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Valleyview, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Concerning the conduits, we do know that with new V3/V4-compatible pedestal bases that there is a second larger conduit used compared to v2/v3 installations. I can't tell from the one photo whether the pedestal base seen matches what I've seen on other threads where we know it's the new type. They really don't look the same to me.

Given that, the Tesla new concrete pedestal base is compatible with both v3 and v3 pedestals, so maybe *ALL* Tesla installations from now on will have the larger conduit in place ready for future upgrade to full v4. Would that also explain part of the reason for the oversized transformer? Is there any evidence that confirms this is Tesla even, like a permit or info from Tesla find us? I'm not on FB to check what the Alberta user group has posted.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
Concerning the conduits, we do know that with new V3/V4-compatible pedestal bases that there is a second larger conduit used compared to v2/v3 installations. I can't tell from the one photo whether the pedestal base seen matches what I've seen on other threads where we know it's the new type. They really don't look the same to me.

Given that, the Tesla new concrete pedestal base is compatible with both v3 and v3 pedestals, so maybe *ALL* Tesla installations from now on will have the larger conduit in place ready for future upgrade to full v4. Would that also explain part of the reason for the oversized transformer? Is there any evidence that confirms this is Tesla even, like a permit or info from Tesla find us? I'm not on FB to check what the Alberta user group has posted.
Larger? I don’t think so. The large conduit is still 4” for V3 and V4. Where some V4 differs is a second smaller (1-2”) conduit.

Also, these are not the new V3/V4 bases. These are either poured in place or something different. Note the striations on top of the latest X post. Also, look at this pic from the Bakersfield V4 site. Note there are 4 bolts for mounting the charging post and 3 sleeves on one end for a bollard or sign. That’s it. Not sleeves for bollards on each end. They are precast so they are all identical so this layout doesn’t fit. The top is also smooth.
1697596215095.png

Last edited:
it would be a long ish stretch to do Edmonton to Valleyview in the dead of winter. I don't think my old MS would make it. Assume another site is coming soon in Whitecourt or somewhere else half way ?
Yep - I wouldn’t count on making 350 km from Edmonton at prairie highway speeds of 120 kph in my new MY LR even in summer. Really hoping Whitecourt is announced soon.

Strange to see a picture of superchargers in a photo style that looks straight out of the 70's. A switchgear cabinet means expansion, which would only make sense if connecting Alaska was on the 3 year plan. Uncle Sam did some nice work on the original Alaska highway thru Canada, so can we expect some of that sweet inflation reduction act $$$, just so you can visit your crazy relatives? (or wilderness, whatever floats your boat)

Strange to see a picture of superchargers in a photo style that looks straight out of the 70's. A switchgear cabinet means expansion, which would only make sense if connecting Alaska was on the 3 year plan. Uncle Sam did some nice work on the original Alaska highway thru Canada, so can we expect some of that sweet inflation reduction act $$$, just so you can visit your crazy relatives? (or wilderness, whatever floats your boat)
Are you sure switchgear means expansion? There aren’t too many 4 stall V3 sites in the US to compare to but I don’t know of any sites without switchgear. There needs to be a panel with breakers somewhere before the SC cabinets. So there would at least have to be a separate meter and panel so why not use an switchgear cabinet to make or more tidy? Also, if there are any L2 chargers as part of this there would need to be another panel.

Most of the Western Canada Superchargers (recent are 6+) do have a seperate switch cabinet. My pictures from Milk River aren"t clear either (it also has 2 Tesla's obscuring it) but it's meter (and probably breakers) are on a big box bolted on the left side of the Supercharger cabinet (you can see the box which isn't quite the full height of the cabinet on the picture above).

• Helpful
Reactions: PLUS EV